|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Lore (V16)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Add to your mana pool.
Threshold — Add to your mana pool instead if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||rkarhade97 , CAPT.Shock , Skydra2 , Qolorful , sonnet666 , brokendwarf , Supremespeed , MoJoMiXuP , Archegos , GoldGhost012 , LTmiller , dexxter7 , abby315|
|Want (5)||mentor6 , ericalt91 , TheRealPeaches , mlouden03 , VoidCaster113|
Cabal Ritual Discussion
6 days ago
chaosumbreon87, its great to hear from you. I haven't seen you in a while! I guess I'm a bit leary of dredge, and if I can control it very well or not. I'd prefer to have the draw, I guess, but I don't know. It is worth tinkering with in the deck, I guess. Mind Stone and Fellwar Stone are good suggestions for mana rocks, and if Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual don't play out like I hope, I'll drop them for the rocks, unless you have other suggestions for the cuts.
The other deck you were going to help me with was Phelddacombo. :) Remember though, I'm kind of on a budget, but do have some nice stuff already.
6 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
1 week ago
Sgtpopnfreash First of all, thanks a lot for your comments!
I don't actually have Timetwister, Candelabra of Tawnos, Flusterstorm, Copy Artifact, Volcanic Island, Underground Sea and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but if I had them, I would certainly use them in this deck.
I'll tell you why I like having Faithless Looting in my deck. 1) it enables me to trade three(including itself) cards from my hand for two new other cards, while discarding lands or cards that i'll be able to cast later with Kess, dissident mage , such as Mind's Desire, 2) It interacts well in some Doomsday piles that I like to settle sometimes, 3) It helps me to trigger Threshold for Cabal Ritual. Cephalid Coliseum have a similar effect enabling me to trade three cards from my hand for three new cards, while it enters untapped and taps for blue mana.
Mizzix's Mastery and Paradox Engine are too powerful for not to use them. With Paradox Engine on the field I can easely storm out and with a tutor or enough draws I can quickly close the game. It also helps me to avoid some stax effects, which my playgroup is consistently improving. I'm also considering adding Vandalblast or By Force to deal with tax and stax artifacts.
Please let me know your thoughts on my comment.
3 weeks ago
The goal is to put Magus into play, with some number of the "when a player discards/draws, take damage" spells and then wheel.
So what you are doing is a ton of stuff around that, which isn't refining or improving your combo. Currently your combo is weak to Graveyard hate, removal, stifle and counters. At the same time, your only way to put your Magus in the graveyard is to discard to hand size. So you aren't focused on the combo. Apprentice is also pretty awful. You have to play the card at sorcery speed, wait a full turn without it dying or your creature being exiled, then activate it. The benefit of that over Shallow Grave is you get a 1/1, which isn't relevant in Legacy any more, when there is a 1 mana 3/2 flyer, a 3/1 protection from player, 4/4 vigilance lifelinker, 7/7 lifelinking yawgmoths will and the various trinisphere cards running around.
If you want to be a combo-reanimator deck in the vein of Tinfins, focus on that with discard, better/faster reanimate spells and fast mana, so you can go into the combo, wheel, play some fast mana like Lotus Petal, Cabal Ritual and Dark Ritual, so you can do it again or play more Lilianas etc. If you want to be a wheel combo deck. Focus on that, with cards that let you sculpt the perfect hand and protect the combo, then drop and tap the Magus at instant speed.
Like I said, right now you have reanimator stuff without the enablers, and stuff you have for the combo is diluted by too many lands, and bad spells and a second deck that doesn't need to be there.
1 month ago
Now for some cuts:Gamble is bad, and it will make you feel bad. If you want a tutor, you are better off using a cheap black one. Increasing Ambition is a card you can use for example. Cabal Ritual and Dark Ritual are only good for Torment of Hailfire and otherwise they suck in your deck. I'd only keep them if you want your wincon for your deck to be casting and copying cards with big effects like that such as in Cruel Ultimatum, Ribbons, or Exsanguinate, which you could make your wincon, but you'd have to change around your deck. Izzet Charm is a storm card, you don't want this. Secrets of the Dead is way too slow. Just putting in a Sire of Stagnation or something would be most of the time way more efficient.Jace's Sanctum, while not bad, should be replaced by a card coming in Ixalan, Primal Amulet.
I think that the biggest problem with this deck is that it doesn't know how to win. Control with Kess can win in two ways. 1. Infinite Combo (with Laboratory Maniac and Demonic Consultation, Kokusho, the Evening Star and Rite of Replication, or some variation of the Splinter Twin combo). 2. Winning off of either one-shotting or hitting hard over a few turns with cards like Torment of Hailfire that I mentioned before, preferably copying those spells with Increasing Vengeance or Reiterate. You could put an infinite mana combo using Palinchron and Deadeye Navigator in too if you want to go that route.
This should cover most of my complaints. If you still need more things to cut, you probably don't need so many one mana draw spells. They get worse the more there are in your deck. You should really only be using them for the occasional extra draw with Kess when you have nothing to do with her, so only keep the most efficient ones like Gitaxian Probe and Brainstorm, etc.
1 month ago
Library of LengTime ReversalVision SkeinsCabal RitualDesperate RitualPyretic RitualMegrimDimir SignetIzzet SignetTalisman of DominanceTalisman of IndulgenceFellwar StoneSeething SongDream FractureDay's Undoing
1 month ago
Cool deck, I'd definitely suggest adding some tutors, draw and mass recursion.
1 month ago
zombob57 I love that suggestion! I haven't felt great about Cabal Ritual in the deck, I will happily replace with Burnt Offering. I will add Sacrifice to the maybeboard for now, but it could be that I want both.
I will also be finding room for Sunbeam Spellbomb, probably replacing Tavern Swindler. After goldfishing with this a bunch of times, Tavern Swindler just feels too cute, and Sunbeam Spellbomb can cycle if you don't need the lifegain to up my cantrip count.
I'm also considering Icatian Moneychanger, although I'm not sure if more one shot lifegain type cards are where I want to head. I think I may need to shore up the cantrip count for Spells Matters payoffs.