|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
Morph (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up at any time for its morph cost.)
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grim Haruspex Discussion
5 days ago
Generally your card selection here is at too high a mana cost, no 1 mana spells is a big deal, especially when, off the top of my head; Viscera Seer , Mortician Beetle , Deathgreeter , Quest for the Gravelord and Thoughtpicker Witch all exist. Modern is a fast format, spells which cost 4 or more mana need to have significant impact to be playable, spells that cost less need to be the most efficient version. For example, you might think that these three cards would be ordered in playability thus: Murder > Victim of Night > Fatal Push , the opposite is actually true Fatal Push is the best of the 3, it is one of the best removal spells in Modern... In a deck focused on sacrifice though Tragic Slip is also a good choice.
Cards like Grim Haruspex , Skirsdag High Priest and Bone Picker are ideal for this sort of deck as you net an additional benefit from the sacrifice. A card like Scavenger Drake can't be played until turn 4, Mortician Beetle is potentially there on turn 1. If you want a finisher in this sort of deck Demon of Death's Gate would be a classic option. Cards which can return themselves also have value Bloodsoaked Champion and Reassembling Skeleton would be examples.
Try to organise the deck so that you have more 1 drops, than 2, more 2 than 3 etc, keep in mind though that functionally Bone Picker should be a 1 drop in your deck, so there is a little wiggle room. I hope this helps, good luck brewing your deck.
1 week ago
So I'm assuming we are going with a sac outlet style here, and I have a couple of win cons. Exsanguinate / Debt to the Deathless for a large amount using Ashnod's Altar / Phyrexian Altar , Sac outlet procs from Kokusho/Artist/Cutthroat/Evangel, or Mirror Entity swarm.
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
- Mimic Vat
- Open the Graves
- Pitiless Plunder
- Sheoldred, the Whispering One
- Bontu's Monument
- Expedition Map
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Debt to the Deathless
- Teferi's Protection
- Songs of the Damned
- Thran Dynamo
- Coldsteel Heart
- Viscera Seer
- Mirror Entity
- Pious Evangel Flip
- Phyrexian Plaguelord
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Oversold Cemetery
- Toxic Deluge
- Smothering Abomination
- Dark Prophecy
- Gate to the Afterlife
- God-Pharaoh's Gift ?
- Grim Haruspex
- Ashen Rider: I personally hate this card, it's so god awfully expensive and it expensive for a pretty vanilla creature... I think that unless you are playing a reanimator style this isn't worth playing at 8 CMC
- Butcher of malakir: I know a lot of people love this card, but I'd rather just play Dictate of Erebos and Grave Pact over this any day, too expensive and too easily destroyed.
- Extractor demon: It's too expensive and mill is one of those things you have to COMMIT to.
- Havester of souls: I'd rather see a Smothering Abomination , Dark Prophecy , Gate to the Afterlife , or Grim Haruspex
- Knight Of The Last Breath: It's really bad.
- Krav, the unredeemed: This one is a bit iffy, it could be really good it could be really bad playtest with it, and if the deck doesn't do what you want it should be onthe first to go list.
- Light of the Legion: You don't have enough white creatures to make this worth while.
- Regna, the Redeemed: It's just WAY too expensive.
- Nomad's Assembly: This could be good, but it's far too expensive
- Storm Herd: This isn't your game plan my friend, I mean sure you could play it and win off it but I think you're better off taking that 10 mana and dumbing it into an Exsanguinate or Debt to the Deathless
- Rise of the Dark Realms: Too expensive, and you have no way to cheat it out.
- Cathar's Crusade: your gameplan should be more sac to get triggers and do silly things, not attacking.
- Divine Visitation: It's a Win more card in a deck that isn't solely based on making tokens, not worth.
- Sanguine bond/Exquisite Blood: I'm just not a fan of the combo, it pisses people off and is no fun. Play one or the other, not both.
- Grave Betrayl: Too expensive in my book
- True Coviction: Triple white in a deck that is prominently black... No thank you... Plus this doesn't contribute to your win con.
- Sword of Light and Shadow: Why? It won't protect against your board wipes, and it's very much not your strategy.
1 week ago
Other people have said a lot, so I'll focus on lands: I'd consider Path of Ancestry . At my count, you're running 11 creatures that trigger it, Also, Command Beacon is a way you can get around how heavily your deck relies on the commander and the risk he gets removed. The same goes for Homeward Path . Also, I noticed you're running Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep and Rogue's Passage . Shizo, Death's Storehouse goes very nicely, here. The other land I would seriously consider, especially since it just tanked in price after the reprint is Phyrexian Tower .
The other big thing I noticed here is that you have a LOT going on, which is sweet, but you might want some redundancy. For example, in addition to Grim Haruspex and Harvester of Souls , add Midnight Reaper .
1 week ago
I'd recommend some camp cards, like Sakura-Tribe Elder, Primal Druid, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, or at least some mana elves (like Llanowar Elves). Because what is better then play big spells? Yes, play big spells early.
You're gonna play creatures anyway, so some card draw creatures like Beast Whisperer, Grim Haruspex or Midnight Reaper help you to fill your hands after you've played some cards. If you need life, I personally like Dross Harvester - cause if many creatures are attacking then for sure many of them are going to die..
So I like your ideas and the commander is great (maybe one of the best in the set), maybe it could help to look at the average casting costs. Actually they are at 4.29, so there is plenty of room left to go down, cause normally you want to play as many things every turn. So don't waste your first turns. Normally everybody ramps as much as possible to get in a good position, when the big spells and creatures are coming.
1 week ago
Thanks for the card suggestions! I will definitely take them into consideration, especially Dark Prophecy, Karlov of the Ghost Council, Grim Haruspex, and Demon of Dark Schemes. Will update the deck accordingly when I make changes too.
1 week ago
If you want to go more aristrocrat style I would suggest adding Zulaport Cutthroat, Cliffhaven Vampire, Sanguine Bond, and Falkenrath Noble for more drain effects. Make the drain a really attainable goal with Wound Reflection, Painful Quandary, and other friends.
Demon of Dark Schemes usually has a problem where you run out of energy faster than mana and the new Teysa remedies this so he might be worth a look.
Maybe lean into the life gain route because each token with lifelink is a separate life gain trigger. Karlov of the Ghost Council, and Regna, the Redeemer slot well in here and have relevant abilities.
Oketra's Monument is decent ramp and a token producer to boot.
1 week ago
The issue with Grim Haruspex and Midnight Reaper is that they don't affect token creatures, which are a lot of your deck. Regardless, it's probably a good idea to include them anyway. I might cut Hunted Witness and Martyr of Dusk in favor of 4 Zulaport Cutthroat and 3 Viscera Seer.
While I like the flavor of Dictate of Erebos, cutting them for a 4th Viscera Seer and 2 Grim Haruspex might be a good idea. That lowers both your mana curve and the price of the deck. In addition, I'm not sure how well it performs in modern. The 5 CMC is a little high for modern, and it would most likely get blown up before it saw any use. This would get even worse after sideboarding.
1 week ago
Bionicle4320 and I do not play much of modern (my buddies and I play commander and casual) so your helping out quite a bit! And for the card draw problem would Grim Haruspex or Midnight Reaper do the trick? My concern is the loss of life so it would probably have to me Grim... however I just need to find cards to take out so he can go in... I think I just need to build the deck and play test the crap out of it XD