Rootbound Crag enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Mountain or a Forest.
: Gain or .
|Have (4)||, lizardwarrior , Forkbeard , metalmagic|
|Want (4)||Instinctive , YOURBOISLIM2002 , Creeds , PGleo86|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Rare|
|Premium Deck Series: Slivers (PDS)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Rootbound Crag Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hey, on a budget well done upgrading the precon. Nice upgrades of Ral with Reverberate/Vengeance for the combo, Settlement/Encampment/Drum, Hippocamp, Brainstorm, Dig, Within, Shift, Passage.
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Narset's Reversal: can be repeatable for two mana to copy any instant/sorcery that's cast. The copy that Kalamax makes can target and bounce the original Reversal back to your hand to cast again on the next turn and Kalamax can make a copy of one instant on each player's turn.
- Expansion / Explosion: another Fork to combo with Ral or a mass draw/damage spell with lots of mana.
- Gravitic Punch: with Kalamax and a Fork this can kill three opponents and cast it again from your graveyard.
- Cultivator's Caravan: three drop rainbow mana rock that can also be a repeatable source of tap for Kalamax (crew 3 is another instant way to tap Kalamax).
- Return of the Wildspeaker: it can draw a lot of cards with high power Kalamax and/or give Kalamax/Drakes/Birds/Elementals +3/+3 or even +6/+6 to potentially kill one/more opponents.
- Roiling Regrowth: like Harrow, but the lands ETB tapped.
- Cascade Bluffs: Double Masters version is less than $4.
- Shivan Reef: Commander 2020 version is $1.
- Rootbound Crag
- Sulfur Falls
If you like any of these suggestions I offer more advice about what cards to cut. Good luck with deck.
1 month ago
If shock lands are unacceptable that I suggest either the fast lands Concealed Courtyard
Or the check lands like Rootbound Crag.
However this is my argument for shock lands; they provide fixing for a cost, allowing the slower decks to curve slower and the faster decks to curve quicker.
The check land cycle doesn’t support aggro decks since they typically run on fewer lands and can’t get a t1 untapped.
Meanwhile the fast land cycle doesn’t support control or midrange style decks, since they want more than 3 lands and will enter play tapped after that point.
Shock lands provide the best of both worlds while not being overly powerful.
1 month ago
Zendikar Rising spoilers has started, and in the tradition of all Zendikar sets, it's time to reevaluate the lands matter decks.
Some updates: Zuran Orb out for Exploration. Decree of Pain out for Toxic Deluge. Bringing in a Heroic Intervention as well, in place of Price of Glory. I want some more interaction. Deflecting Swat is something I am currently very interested in. The new blue enchantment means I need to add a lot more enchantment hate. I am probably going to cut Mina and Denn, Wildborn for an Oracle of Mul Daya.
I am looking to revamp the mana base some. Cut cards like Rootbound Crag and Karplusan Forest for more basics. I'm gonna add some snow basics, and also cut one of my 3 mana ramp spells for an Into the North.
Comments about the new cards:
The new landfall extra combats is powerful but not what this deck is looking to do. I don't have many creatures, and most of the attacking ones are already heavy at the top end.
I am in love with the new double faced cards that are spells/lands. However, most aren't what I'm looking for. I am extremely happy to add these to my other decks, especially those with Karoos/Ravnica bounce lands, but I don't have those in this deck. The red mythic might go into this deck, as an untapped land and potential removal spell, but I haven't decided.
The new not-Avenger of Zendikar is interesting. I need to go more basic heavy for it, which I am already working on revamping the mana base. I have found myself a bit light on blockers recently, so another effect like this is not bad.
I am kind of surprised to say it, but so far my lands matter deck might not get much from a Zendikar set. Obviously the set isn't spoiled yet, and I fully expect a green mythic flip land will find it's way here.
1 month ago
1x Luxury Suite
1x Spire Garden
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget version, good change to Korvold from Prossh.
Tireless Tracker, Mystery Card Booster version, may be out of budget range, but in my opinion it's the best casual value creature with Korvold. Repeatable source of creating permanents that can sac (Clues) just by playing a land. Clues can be a backup repeatable draw source if Korvold is disrupted. Awakening Zone was just reprinted in Double Masters. Eldrazi spawn tokens can sac themselves for colorless mana. Dreadhorde Invasion can be another repeatable source of a token to sac to Korvold.
One drop Bloodsoaked Champion has good interaction with Korvold as a repeatable creature to sac. Attack with Korvold sac Champion and since Korvold attacked you can reanimate Champion for . Reassembling Skeleton also does this, but you can reanimate Skeleton at any time.
Orcish Lumberjack is another one drop who can sac a Forest to make three mana. This interaction is very good with Korvold and Ramunap Excavator. Viscera Seer, Caustic Caterpillar and Spore Frog are other good one drops with Korvold because they can sac themselves. Seer can be a repeatable sac outlet that can also help to setup your draws with Korvold since you can scry before you draw.
Korvold's draw ability goes well with Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse and Mad Ratter since on your turn if you draw at least one card with Korvold then you make a Cat or two Rats. These creatures also trigger on opponents' turns if you draw two or more cards which is very possible since can sac at instant speed, good with Clues and Eldrazi spawns.
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Exotic Orchard > Bloodfell Caves
- Llanowar Wastes > Jungle Hollow
- Ash Barrens > 1x Mountain
- Dragonskull Summit > Shadowblood Ridge
- Rootbound Crag or Game Trail > Rugged Highlands
- Woodland Cemetery or Foreboding Ruins 1x Swamp
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, some base numbers to consider when starting out a three color casual Temur deck:
- 36 lands: Command Tower, Exotic Orchard
- 12 ramp sources: Simic/Izzet/Gruul Signets, Farseek
- 10 draw sources: Brainstorm, Coiling Oracle
- 8 removal/counterspells: Nature's Claim, Counterspell
- 5 tutors: Shared Summons, Prime Speaker Vannifar
Of course these numbers can be increased or decreased as you build the deck, but this is a good starting point with some cards to consider adding.
Any creatures or instant/sorceries you play think of them has having two additional mana in their mana costs that way you can get value from Riku. This means more creatures and instant/sorceries that are lower mana cost such as Coiling Oracle and Growth Spiral. Oracle and Spiral for two mana can help to get to five or more mana to cast Riku.
Legendary creatures are not the best with Riku because of the legendary rule. Only allowing you to have one card that's the same name in your control meaning you don't really want to copy a legendary creature with Riku. The token copy still triggers any ETB abilities, but then you remove the token copy and keep the original legendary creature.
Some budget win conditions with Riku
Biovisionary + one copy of Biovisionary + Twinflame
At beginning of your end step resolve the Biovisionary win the game trigger before the Twinflame exile tokens trigger which wins the game before the tokens are exiled. Biovisionary is also good with clones such as Phyrexian Metamorph. With Riku in your control get Biovisionary onto the battlefield, make a copy of it, clone it with Metamorph and make token copy of Metamorph gives you four Biovisionarys. Twinflame also combos with Dualcaster Mage for infinite Dualcasters who can attack with haste.
Ral, Storm Conduit + Fork Expansion / Explosion/Reverberate/Twincast
With Ral in your control cast a Fork, copy it with Riku. Let the copy resolve and then copy the original Fork still on the stack. Resolving the Fork copy then copying the original Fork makes a copy instant loop which does infinite damage to your opponents one at a time with Ral. These Forks are good with Riku outside the combo because for four mana you can copy an opponents spell twice. Forks are nice in multiplayer Commander where you have many opponents who are casting instant/sorceries you could copy.
Some of other cards $5 or less each that are good with Riku
- Mana dorks: Kiora's Follower, Paradise Druid
- Land ramp: Crop Rotation, Harrow
- Clones: Clever Impersonator, Progenitor Mimic
- Recursion: Eternal Witness, Regrowth
- Removal: Beast Within, Reclamation Sage
- Draw: Preordain, Serum Visions, Risen Reef
- Tutors: Chord of Calling, Signal the Clans
- Forks: Narset's Reversal can be a repeatable for four mana since the copy of Reversal can bounce the original Reversal back to your hand.
- Tri: Frontier Bivouac
- Fetch: Ash Barrens, Evolving Wilds
- Pain: Yavimaya Coast, Karplusan Forest, Shivan Reef
- Battle: Cinder Glade
- Bounce: Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, Gruul Turf
- Utility: Mystic Sanctuary, Kessig Wolf Run
- Check: Sulfur Falls, Rootbound Crag
More Expensive Lands
1 month ago
Fair enough, but then I’d definitely swap out Copperline Gorge for Rootbound Crag. With only 1 copy, you won’t be drawing the gorge in your opening hand very often, so being able to play a dual that is unlikely to enter tapped is the better option. With 11 potential forests in this build, odds are good the crag won’t be entering tapped whereas the gorge almost certainly will.
1 month ago
G'day mate! I might have some suggestions that could help you out, so let's start off looking at your mana base. You run a LOTTTT of lands that come in tapped. In my opinion- you should ditch them all. So what could you add-in? Some of these are kind of pricy, but as you build this deck more definitely consider some of these land options.
- Blood Crypt
- Bloodstained Mire (Budget: Rocky Tar Pit) (This can search for a card like Blood Crypt AND basics)
- Blackcleave Cliffs
- Sulfurous Springs
- Graven Cairns
- Luxury Suite (Maybe)
- Dragonskull Summit(Maybe)
- Foreboding Ruins (Maybe)
- Smoldering Marsh (Maybe)
- Overgrown Tomb
- Verdant Catacombs
- Blooming Marsh
- Llanowar Wastes or Nurturing Peatland
- Twilight Mire
- Woodland Cemetery (Maybe)
- Undergrowth Stadium
- Stomping Ground
- Wooded Foothills (Budget: Mountain Valley)
- Copperline Gorge
- Karplusan Forest
- Fire-Lit Thicket
- Rootbound Crag (Maybe)
- Spire Garden (Maybe)
- Game Trail (Maybe)
Cinder Glade (Maybe)
The first five for each color (The Shock Lands, Dual Fetch Lands, Fast Lands, Pain Lands, and Filter lands are the best, and I recommend putting in those five of each color. The others are more budget options you may want to include for the moment before you can get your hands on more expensive options. There are also some multicolor lands that are VERY helpful, such as some of the following.
- Prismatic Vista
- Fabled Passage
- City of Brass
- Mana Confluence
- Reflecting Pool
- Exotic Orchard
- Strip Mine/Wasteland
- Command Tower
- Forbidden Orchard
- Gemstone Mine
- Gemstone Caverns
There are also some VERY good ramp options in your colors! Ramp is very important, and I would consider all of these
- Oracle of Mul Daya
- Birds of Paradise
- Sylvan Caryatid
- Bloom Tender
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
- Dark Ritual
- Nature's Lore
- Farseek and Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Emerald Medallion, Jet Medallion, and Ruby Medallion
Now I know that's a lot, and a lot in money, but I promise you its a big step in helping your deck perform a lot better. Once you have a good mana base, things will come a lot easier. If you ever need to find cards to put in Proshh, I recommend checking out EDHREC, which gives you many helpful suggestions for every commander. (Click here to go to your commander on edhrec. If this helps, be sure to check out and like some of my decks, (Double Trouble EDH, A Deal With the Devil EDH, and many more! Anyways though, good luck on your deck, hope this helps, and have a great day!!! Happy tapping!