Creature — Ouphe
Activated abilities of artifacts can't be activated.
|Have (4)||lorddarkstar , , PostContact , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (3)||MRB_Alters , Zelpoke , killergerbil|
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Collector Ouphe Discussion
7 hours ago
1 week ago
Nice deck. I play a very similar and very mean Kumena deck. I also went back and forth on +1/+1 counters and ultimately did settle on it as I felt that combat damage was the most appropriate win con for merfolk (in part because I also play Legacy Fish). I don’t think assembling and executing your infinite mana combo is more efficient than winning with unblockable +100/+100 merfolk or generating so much card draw that you win with Thassa's Oracle. Both of my options also synergize directly with your commander. +1/+1 counters are accelerated by Doubling Season and Hardened Scales. You can flash in Simic Ascendancy on the end step just before your turn, and with a little finesse, win. With Doubling Season, either Kiora Planeswalker is a nasty surprise as well. Massive card draw comes not only from Seafloor Oracle, but from Bident of Thassa, Coastal Piracy, and now Reconnaissance Mission. My version of this deck replaces your standard countermagic and removal suite with Force of Will, Force of Negation, Mana Drain, and Cyclonic Rift but you probably don’t need to be told that these cards are very good. Gaea's Cradle and Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip are insanely good in merfolk aggro. The only non-merfolk creatures I include (aside from Seahunter) Are Deadeye Navigator, Deepglow Skate, Collector Ouphe, and Vigor. I should say, my merfolk deck is known to beat the seaweed out of many competitive decks. I hope this helps.
1 week ago
Deck looks awesome +1 from me! Name def drew me in too
I'd suggest Tidespout Tyrant for redundancy with Cloudstone Curio. The triple blue is scary but I run it in two decks and it puts in work. Temur Sabertooth too. Fabricate might be worth it to snag a few of your wincons. Birthing Pod goes with your sac tutors
Not sure what to take out. I love eldrazi. Oblivion Sower is my favorite w Animar. Cultivator Drone might be your most mehh. Collector Ouphe hurts a few of your things. I assume you see a lot of countermagic with Prowling Serpopard in the list(?)
Anywho, have fun! Please check out my Animar deck and tell me what you think! Peace!
3 weeks ago
Thank you, valentin74!
1) Precisely for this reason. I chose to use responses that can also be used proactively. And Path can be used on some creature (an Ornithopter for example) to ramp off. Besides, it is quite common for Path to have no drawback (against 4C or 5C with greedy mana bases).
2) They are very useful in pods that I find difficult, with a lot of counter and interactions. Besides, they are necessary in situations where you combo off but your only payoffs are Urza's Bauble or Mishra's Bauble, where you can draw your deck on the opponent's upkeep and you need to win before giving a bigger window to stop you.
3) To be honest I never tried Verge Rangers because I found it slow. But if you are in a more midrange version, it may be a real option. Of course, before considering using it I would certainly use Mystic Forge.
4) I honestly don't like Heliod on this deck. Apart from triggering Teshar and possibly combo with Ballista, it adds absolutely nothing to our game plan. I prefer to use some redundancy from some of our combo pieces, or some way to dig more into the deck.
5) Not long ago I used only Codex Shredder and decided to test the other 2, and I really enjoyed it. Besides possibly answering opponents' top tutors, in practice, in our deck it is a "draw a card", since our graveyeard is an extension of the hand. In addition, it is possible to loop our non-artifact or non-creature spells with Codex Shredder.
6) Banisher Priest (or Fiend Hunter on some lists) is a necessary evil (like Leonin Relic-Warder). It is often an option to remove stax pieces that can harm our game a lot (Hello, Collector Ouphe and Drannith Magistrate), or even answer something that is essential to not lose before returning to our next turn (like Zur the Enchanter). Since we use many self mill effects, it is feasible to revive Banisher Priest with the Teshar effect, which is not the case with other types of responses. In addition, Banisher Priest can be fetched with Recruiter of the Guard.
3 weeks ago
Before I dive into the responses, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to comment.
- Emerald Medallion/Rhonas's Monument - bring in mono green, I have no way to search for these to get them out early and after turn 4 they really become a dead draw. The deck generates an insane amount of mana when I get going for better utility that I can use at any point in the game.
- Nyx Lotus - I hate that it enters tapped. I've been on the fence about it, and if I ever pull one or trade for one, I'll test it. It also runs counterintuitive to Collector Ouphe which I try to keep out as often as possible to hinder my playgroup.
- Bow of Nylea - deathtouch is rarely needed, Ohran Frostfang is ran mostly because of the passive draw ability it has. I am running this in my budget deck though since it doesn't generate mana like this version does. I do plan on testing it in this version eventually for the other abilities though.
- Brawn/Nylea, God of the Hunt/Nylea's Forerunner/Primal Rage/Roughshod Mentor - between kamahl and hoofy, these are unneeded.
- Citanul Hierophants/Cryptolith Rite - I ran hierophants for a long time when I first made the deck and eventually dropped it. Outside of my mana dorks, I dont tap the creatures for mana, so it just became unnecessary.
- Embodiment of Insight - I dont turn my lands into creatures unless absolutely necessary. So this doesn't really help my playstyle.
- Sword of the Animist - it's a great card, I just don't use equipment in this deck. No real reason for it, I dont even run Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves.
- Vivien's Arkbow/Elvish Piper - both on the list to playtest.
- Overwhelming Stampede/Overrun - ran stampede for years in the deck and eventually dropped it for more utility. My commander does overrun at instant speed so I wont waste a slot on the actual overrun card.
- Beastmaster Ascension - haven't really considered it to be honest. I dont need it offensively, but could be useful to help keep my mana dorks alive from mass damage spells. I'll have to play around with it.
- Rogue's Passage - unneeded. When I swing, I get through.
- Reliquary Tower - already in the deck.
- Pir's Whim - I just recently discovered this card for another deck and plan on playtesting it in this deck.
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary - on the maybe list, I'll eventually playtest it.
- Harmonize - I have better draw spells for only 1 additional mana.
Again, thank you for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.
1 month ago
Not a bad start! My one real recommendation is to try and focus the deck up a bit more. It seems to me that the deck is trying to go into a few different directions, I'm seeing 1) a landfall strategy, which is typical for most Lord Windgrace decks, 2) land destruction with Strip Mine, Wasteland, Tectonic Edge, Dust Bowl & Destructive Flow and 3)a little bit of artifact hate, Collector Ouphe & Damping Matrix. Personally, I think that's a little bit scattered and I'd recommend trying to focus it up a bit more. I'm personally not a fan of Amulet of Vigor in these decks. Windgrace builds typically are slower decks to begin with and I just think it's a wasted spot in the deck. It's definitely a powerful card though for sure. Also, I think you need more lands. I haven't seen a good and well functioning Lands Matter deck with less than 40 lands in it. On a similar note, being a landfall strategy, you need more ways to play multiple lands per turn. Cards like Oracle of Mul Daya and Azusa, Lost but Seeking are amazing..and expensive yes I know. Dryad of the Ilysian Grove is a recent printing that has the same effect for 3 mana.
All in all I think you have a good start to your Windgrace deck! My build I am constantly tinkering with and I'm at a good spot now where I like it. Take a look and maybe it'll give you some ideas for your own!
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 5 | 6 COMMENTS | 660 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
1 month ago
This is a great deck! You beat all the companions that came your way.
To balance out the mana-base, I would swap a Swamp for a Plains. I also, for extra companion hate, would put three Drannith Magistrates into the sideboard and take out a Gaddock Teeg, a Collector Ouphe and a Gemrazer.
1 month ago
Collector Ouphe is the reason why we use removal, this deck is really, good and online the idea, keep it up!