: Add .
, : Target creature can't be blocked this turn.
|Have (4)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , MrShhh , danaran117 , 31770|
|Want (9)||Matheusalem , Goji , dchaffee02 , 31770 , Onmyway2thetopz , Morpho-peleides , Cool_Cat , TheOtherRoxas , Kotakiva|
Combos Browse all
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Breath of Fury + Rogue's Passage + Sword of Feast and Famine
- Rogue's Passage + Tainted Strike
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Rogue's Passage Discussion
1 week ago
Hey! Kinda late, but I would like to suggest some stuff:
(Disclaimer: I have a budget way lower than yours, but I've been tinkering with Ghired for almost two years - he's my favorite commander. I'll break the suggested upgrades down into categories for better organization.)
- You need them for Ghired and his tokens to attack right away, as well as to use your creatures with tap abilities on demand. Please consider Hammer of Purphoros in addition to Lightning Greaves and Fires of Yavimaya. The Hammer can even create tokens if needed.
Ramp: Run at least 15 ramp cards to make your deck flow smoother and faster.
As an aggressive deck, speed is fundamental. Fellwar Stone, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, Skyshroud Elf, Bloom Tender, Faeburrow Elder, Chromatic Lantern, Coalition Relic, Wood Elves, Skyshroud Claim and Mirari's Wake can ramp and heavily fix your mana, taking the place of Gyre Sage, Solemn Simulacrum, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Xenagos, the Reveler - the latter is a win-more ramp, and his 2/2 token is not large enough to synergize with the power-based card draw, while the other four fix for a single color of mana (Ghired decks can sometimes be color-hungry), and this deck can't abuse the sad robot for value.
In the land department, Krosan Verge and Blighted Woodland pull their weight, and synergize greatly with Avenger of Zendikar and Rampaging Baloths. Maybe remove Cascading Cataracts? (Your spells are not THAT color hungry.)
Have you considered Warstorm Surge and Terror of the Peaks as a mean to do damage even before attacking? The dragon can even be cloned with Flamerush Rider, Flameshadow Conjuring and Soul Foundry for extra copies of the same effect (the game ends quiiiickly after that). I'd remove Dragonmaster Outcast for that, since its effect is slow (albeit amazing if he lasts on the field).
Extra combats: You don't have to worry about your opponents' answers if they never get to their turn, so...
- Moraug, Fury of Akoum, Aurelia, the Warleader, Combat Celebrant, Scourge of the Throne (I believe there is an infinite combo involving those two), Savage Beating, Response / Resurgence, Breath of Fury (always attach it to your disposable tokens to keep attacking).
Winds of Abandon might replace Hour of Reckoning. I don't really like to lose Ghired on a boardwipe, since he costs 7 mana to recast. Winds of Abandon also works as evasion for your creatures, since your opponents won't have creatures to block. As for the ramp it offers, an opponent can't do anything with the extra lands if he/she's dead, right? :-)
Card draw: Alongside ramp, it is my main concern with Ghired. I want to be able to rebuild my board after a boardwipe.
I believe that Camaraderie can be substituted for Shamanic Revelation as the latter cost less mana. Mouth / Feed is another option that creates its own big token. Return of the Wildspeaker can either draw cards or buff creatures for an alpha strike.
Keeper of Fables triggers all other power-based card draw, while giving easy draw triggers to all your trampling creatures. Elder Gargaroth is a buffed, more versatile version of it. And remember: both can be cloned for extra juicy draw or extra tokens.
Sylvan Library is an overall great card filter for your regular draws. It gets better with shufflers like fetchlands and tutors.
Since your deck is focused on attacking and getting extra combat steps, Etali, Primal Storm might be a fun way to play your opponents' cards while lowering their life points.
Some cards I suggest you to remove:
- Sundering Growth: you already have enough flexible removal. You will almost never be in a situation in which the token to copy and the artifact/enchantment to remove are optimal choices. Since you're running Eladamri's Call, Reclamation Sage might be worth including (and cloned for the enjoyment of your friends).
- Starnheim Unleashed: one token is too little for a whole card slot in the deck. If you're foretelling, it costs a lot of mana to be worthwhile. The game might be over before that.
- Growing Ranks: waiting a whole rotation to get a token which does not even have haste is not ideal.
- Ghired's Belligerence, Full Flowering: good for a late game play, mostly dead until then. I like those, but I removed them in favor of more mid-game cards, since I might not last until 9+ mana.
- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice: while on-theme, it does little to advance your win condition.
- Thunderfoot Baloth: not an amazing buff. Your creatures are big already, and Garruk's Uprising takes care of the evasion.
- Feldon of the Third Path: all-star when there is a lot of graveyard filling - there is none in this deck. (I really tried to keep him on my deck because I like the card, but most of the time there was no creature in my graveyard.)
- Eldrazi Displacer: are you using it for a combo? I couldn't identify it.
Some cool lands for you to try out: (landbase is my favorite part of deckbuilding)
- Castle Garenbrig: how easily do you have access to a Forest for it to be worth including in your deck?
- Rogue's Passage: can sometimes help you to finish an opponent.
- Scavenger Grounds: if you face graveyard-centric decks (you don't seem to use your graveyard much).
- Hanweir Battlements Meld: another haste enabler.
- Gargoyle Castle: sometimes you need a flying token. (I rarely use it, but I like to have the option.)
- Gemstone Caverns: a turn-0 ramp when the first turn is not yours.
- Bonders' Enclave: card draw on a land (easily accessible).
- Mana Confluence, Battlefield Forge, Karplusan Forest, Brushland, Horizon Canopy, Sunbaked Canyon, Prismatic Vista, Cragcrown Pathway Flip, Branchloft Pathway Flip, Needleverge Pathway Flip: more untapped dual lands.
I hope I've been of some help to you. I didn't suggest many token-related cards because I believe that, as long as you have decent ramp, draw and removal in your deck, you can win to your heart's content. Wanna throw in a Godsire? Do it. Prefer to clone your opponents' creatures with Hate Mirage? Go ahead. But the fundamentals of the deck is what makes it flow consistently. Have fun and smash 'em all (and run Doubling Season for extra fun) ;-)
3 weeks ago
Great first deck but i fear you may not have the mana you need to make it work i would cut some lands like for some more basic lands and get a few more land ramps
Crucible of the Spirit Dragon for a Basic Mountain, Crucible is fine but slow as it only taps for colorless and you have to pay mana to get colored mana, this is the biggest maybe I've never like storage lands personally.
I would also rearrange some of your basic land numbers try 5x Mountains, 4x Forests, 3x Swamps and 2x Plains and Islands and i would cut Underdark Rift, Treasure Vault, Rogue's Passage and Prismari Campus for the basic lands
Would also try to get some cheap basic ramp cards like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Farseek and Sword of the Animist for basic land ramp and things like Hour of Promise, Tempt with Discovery, Pir's Whim, Explore and Growth Spiral for non basic ramp.
Now that I told my thoughts on your mana here are some other cards to help your dragons not sure your budget so i categized them. These price are based off of TCGplayer.
0.1-$4.99-Favorable Winds0.40, Teneb, the Harvester$3, Lathliss, Dragon Queen $3.50, Silumgar, the Drifting Death 0.70, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury 0.70, Eerie Ultimatum $3, Ruinous Ultimatum $5, Genesis Ultimatum $1.00,
3 weeks ago
Cheeky_Dick-waffle The cards only have to have been printed at common at least once, regardless of their current or previous rarity. For example: Rewind was upshifted to common in Eighth Edition, but it's original printing in Urza's Saga was at common, so it's pauper legal (even though it has been uncommon for nearly 20 years). So while lots of these cards are now uncommons today, all were common at some point, so they are allowed.
1 month ago
Niice deck! - much more creature heavy than mine. looks fun! Some suggestions for cards I would have loved to have played if I wasn't restricted by old borders: Hall of the Bandit Lord, Vedalken Orrery, Rogue's Passage, Shizo, Death's Storehouse, Whispersilk Cloak, Fleetfeather Sandals and since you have so many creatures maybe Chainer, Dementia Master :)
1 month ago
Utility Lands I would add: Temple of the False God, Radiant Fountain, Castle Ardenvale, Castle Locthwain, Command Tower, Caves of Koilos, Orzhov Basilica,Rogue's Passage, Seraph Sanctuary, Temple of Silence and Labyrinth of Skophos
1 month ago
amicdeep thanks for you're comment, good insights
Flickerwisp and Reflector Mage are strong cards but Venser, Shaper Savant putting the permanent/spell back into their hand with instant speed is just harder for my opponent to deal with even though it does cost more mana. Will test them anyway though, you never know.
The flip lands could be a very nice combat trick but am trying to avoid enter tapped lands as the 3 and 4 drops are just so important to have on time.
Professor of Symbology would be a great card against slower decks to find everything when you need it but to have mainboard might just be a bit too slow but I will definitely test it mainboard.
Hallowed Respite I really like a flashback blink spell to accelerate ETB value but at sorcery and 2 mana and only non-legendary I'm not sure.
From testing I think just a Rogue's Passage giving unblockable works just as good in the situation you would want a manland and doesn't enter tapped or need snowlands.
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget version. You've done well to keep the mana curve low with Syr Gwyn as the highest CMC card.
Some suggestions of improvements to the manabase on a budget.
- Exotic Orchard --> Shimmerdrift Vale
- Path of Ancestry --> Forsaken Sanctuary
- Unclaimed Territory --> Stone Quarry
- Tournament Grounds --> Boros Guildgate
- Nomad Outpost --> Bloodfell Caves
- Battlefield Forge --> Wind-Scarred Crag
- Caves of Koilos --> Scoured Barrens
- Smoldering Marsh --> Unknown Shores
- Rogue's Passage --> Blighted Steppe
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Each player seperates their lands into two piles. You choose a pile for each player, and that player sacrifices it. You may then play up to one additional land from each player's graveyard this turn. Those lands enter the battlefield tapped.
Someone have a Gaea's Cradle, an Ancient Tomb or a Spinerock Knoll? What about an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth? Command Tower? Inkmoth Nexus? How about Dark Depths or a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx? Maybe they have a Vault of the Archangel or a Rogue's Passage? Minamo, School at Water's Edge?
Technically, Rules As Written, a pile could be 0. So, when you seperate your own lands, you could theoretically have a pile of all of your lands, and a pile of 0 lands, then sacrifice the pile of 0 lands. Absolutely disgusting.
Lots of ways to seriously get ahead with a spell like this.
Repeat, or wild if you've already done it and wanna get back into the thread.