Drowned Catacomb enters the battlefield tapped unless you control an Island or a Swamp.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||CampbellStev , perrin515 , Nemesis , cryptoplasm , pskinn01 , warcry02 , tragic_slip , MoJoMiXuP , ibraJG84 , NostalgicAce , jhTheMan99 , Mousemke|
|Want (3)||Dadaman11 , acbooster , Kravian|
Drowned Catacomb Discussion
6 hours ago
I think you should be splashing black instead of red. You're only using red for creature interaction and a marginal amount of filtering. Black does both of those things better and you also get access to hand disruption, which is absolutely incredible before you drop a shared fate to ensure they have no way to stop it, and you won't care about your opponents having hand disruption once the shared fate sticks.
Should be playing Fatal Push and Dismember and stuff to deal with creatures. Play Inquisition of Kozilek instead of Peek, which doesn't really do anything. You'll definitely want another though. You can probably get away with Duress and/or Despise over Thoughtseize or Inquisition I guess if you're trying to stay within budget. Maybe Infest if you want a sweeper effect, Night's Whisper instead of Looting, Brainspoil as a tutor for Shared Fate. The upside to black is just so much higher.
You even get way better sideboard options. More hand disruption, more sweepers, more kill spells. Whatever's the best in the matchup. If you still want a LD spell, you have Rain of Tears. If you want a fog against hyper aggro decks, Darkness. You don't have a ton for artifacts and stuff, but a couple copies of Echoing Truth and hand disruption should get the job done.
On a seperate note, I wouldn't play Dissolve or any scry lands. Scrying is bad. Not sure if you've made the connection, but you still have your own library with a shared fate. You draw from your opponents, but you get to scry for your own. That means your giving your opponent access to screwing with your draws, which is awful. Just play Drowned Catacomb or River of Tears or Darkslick Shores or something for fixing. I would recommend playing Deltas and Watery Graves since it's just the best thing you can be doing, but thats fine if it's out of your budget. Deltas also give revolt for fatal push.
This is all just a suggestion, but I really hope you're seeing all of my points here. Black just supports what you're doing so well
6 hours ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
8 hours ago
Instead of Drowned Catacomb, have you considered Dimir Aqueduct to return lands and trigger Hedron Crab a few extra times up to indefinitely by bouncing them off each other? Also, a Phenax, God of Deception couldn't hurt since you'll be sitting around with your comfy fort. He'll mostly just add an extra 2 or more cards at the end of your opponent's turns, but he also creates a win-con with Consuming Aberration if you have 1/2 of their library in their graveyards.
1 week ago
It looks like you may also want some removal. and some instant speed interaction.
There are some good budget, instant speed mill cards too. Thought Scour is a good one, plus it draws you a card. With such a low mana curve, any card draw is great.
Archive Trap will always do what you want, since fetchlands are so popular in modern.
Given that you're playing on a budget, and not running fetchlands, Hedron Crab might not be a great creature choice right now, but if you decide to make upgrades, it's a good one to keep in mind. Though it does work with Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse. On that note, I would strongly suggest running some sort of mana fixing, as all basics can lead to games where you get totally mana screwed. So Crab + Wilds could be a good combo. Drowned Catacomb is also a pretty decent budget dual that doesn't always enter tapped.
Jace's Phantasm is also a nice beater. A flying 5/5 for ? Don't mind if I do.
TL/DR; Instant speed interaction, and better mana will lead to better games all round.
+1 from me. I like mill decks.
3 weeks ago
Add-Shepherd of Rot
3 weeks ago
How vital to the list do you feel Quicken is? It's a redraw, but I personally don't see anything too crazy that you could consistently do as a large portion of your cards are already instant speed. Instead I'd consider more hand discard and change the numbers to the following: 3 Inquisition of Kozilek, 2 Thoughtseize, and 1 Collective Brutality. I think it would really help get your deck running in the early turns of the game. If you aren't a fan of a heavy hand discard package, I believe that Serum Visions could also be pretty sweet in this build as a redraw that improves your card quality as the game goes on. I'm not sure how high your budget is either, but using fetchlands like Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, and Marsh Flats could make your manabase go from decent to great, and as an added bonus they would make Fatal Push a superb option for additional spot removal! Another potential include for the manabase is checklands such as Isolated Chapel, Glacial Fortress, and Drowned Catacomb. Because you typically want to keep your cards in your graveyard with your gravehate, I'd recommend using Nihil Spellbomb over Relic of Progenitus in the sideboard. Nets you a card like Relic, but it targets the library so you can keep your goodies for your Snapcasters. Also, I really think that using all these different planeswalkers as various wincons is really cool! One swap I'd consider though is running 1 Dovin Baan over your single Jace, Architect of Thought or your Jace, Unraveler of Secrets.
Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope I could be helpful and that you can maybe mull over some of the feedback. Good luck with your brew!
3 weeks ago
Welcome on T/O!
Hope you will experience lots of interesting decks, new ideas and some good feedback on what you have build.
I saw you just joined here, so knowing that each start somewhere can feel somewhat strange, let me help you by giving a some piece of advise :)
After reviewing your decklist, I came up with a several interesting cards. I a not sure what your budget is, but I think my suggestions might help you get this deck ongoing to eventually an improved list:
- Crumbling Necropolis
- Dragonskull Summit
- Blood Crypt
- Drowned Catacomb
- Shivan Reef
- Unspeakable Symbol
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier
- River Kelpie
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir
Your landcount is, like you mentioned yourself, dangerously low. I would suggest to up the amount of land to a minimum of 35 lands. Preferable even a little higher to avoid being mana screwed more than average.
Have fun deckbuilding. If you need help, you can always summon me me.
If you would like some inspiration other than Marchesa, click here . Any upvote/comment is always appreciated.
3 weeks ago
Instead of Startled Awake Flip, try running Archive Trap. It's instant speed, and in a format with all of the fetch lands and several tutoring abilities, you'll end up casting it for free more often than not. Also, Drowned Catacomb is a relatively cheap dual land that will come in untapped often. Just putting that out there.