Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
Legendary Creature — Avatar
You can't spend mana to cast this spell.
Convoke, delve (Each creature you tap while cast this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's colour. Each card you exile from your graveyard pays for .)
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis Discussion
2 weeks ago
Having 3 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis in your deck is maybe a bit much because it is a legendary creature so having 2 will be enough if you want to be sure to get it at least once per game.
Collective Brutality gives you a lot of options but the deck doesn't seem to need the bottom abilities as the life steal is only good with synergies backing it up and the -2/-2 is just a bad removal as it is a sorcery card and cannot be used in response to anything and the upper ability can be gotten much cheaper from other cards, in addition you should instead get som red instants to boost your board in combat.
You also want to consider getting more graveyard to battlefield cards, as of now you only got 6, which doesnt ensure you to get out heavy creatures as soon as possible, you got about a 70% chance to start with these cards, which is a 30% failure rate if you want to get the upper hand early in a game.
Heartless Act is also a better removal spell as you can remove counters in addition and you dont need any red mana
1 month ago
So Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis wasn’t broken because burn didn’t run it?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
1 month ago
Basically, I was frustrated that many decks in MTG in many formats aim to carry out a singular wincon as devotedly as possible. I mean that, whether the deck is proactive or disruptive, it seeks to do exactly one thing as consistently/quickly as possible, and nothing else. That seems somewhat boring to me.
I do not think anger/disappointment should be directed towards those who build those decks, but the creators of MTG, because the people would not create those decks if they were not successful, and the game's design allows those decks to be successful.
Anyway, the format?
My idea was to have the base rules of the Modern/Pioneer format, except that cards all the way back to Urza's Saga were allowed, with other revisions.
Primarily, each mainboard would also have a "phantomboard". Basically, players would play the game with a single deck of 60 cards and a single deck of 20 cards (the phantomboard). The phantomboard can only contain creatures, enchantments, and artifacts, and only one of each card name.
The phantomboard would always be face-down, in any order, and players could play cards in the phantomboard as if they were in their hand, at any time they could play an instant.
Creatures and artifacts that began the game in the phantomboard would not be allowed to be tapped for any reason at any time (could not activate tap abilities), and creatures would not be able to attack or block if they were from the phantomboard. If a card that began the game in the phantomboard would add any amount of mana to your mana pool, it adds none instead. This extends to if it creates a token, or if it is copied, or the tokens/copies create tokens/copies, etc.
If a card leaves the Phantomboard, it can never go back (if a card such as Elixir of Immortality is played, the cards remain in the grave). Additionally, if a card from the Phantomboard leaves the field, it can not go back to the field or hand either, in a similar fashion.
I would also create a ban list.
The concept would be this: Say your opponent is playing a Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis deck. Rather than being able to simply swing with Hogaak a bunch of times, you could play Rest in Peace at instant speed and force them to do something else. If they are playing an artifact deck, you can use Collector Ouphe. The idea is that you can force your opponent to come up with more than one way to win.
I will be welcoming to ideas.
1 month ago
Teferi, Master Reveler
Your opponents may cast instant spells as though they had flash.
+1: Draw a card, then you may return a creature you control to your hand.
-6: Your opponents can't cast spells until the end of your next turn.
God, I still remember when Chainwhirler was legal in Standard. I'm getting old.
1 month ago
Hello, again! I think the deck is pretty solid for semi-competive. I dont personnally like some of the card choices, but they arent bad choices, jist cards I dont like as much. Please bare with me as Im on a phone in am airport, lol:
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove feels off in this deck. I dont know how badly you need the color fixing or extra land drops, but I would lean more toward Sakura-Tribe Elder or Wood Elves unless you plan to throw in a Stripmine to fully utilize the extra land drops. As a rule of thumb, I like my ramp to cap out at 2 CMC unless needed for other purposes/combos.
Lastly, I really like the idea of running Dakra Mystic in this deck as you can mess up top of deck tutors and filter card draw. Just a few initial thoughts!
2 months ago
I wouldn't consider Tasigur a one-mana commander much the same way I wouldn't consider Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis to be zero mana.
3 months ago
If you gained life this turn, draw a card.
Make a card with the text "You can’t spend mana to cast this spell" and a way to cast it like Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
3 months ago
When you state that "I don't think an extra Modern's gonna... work", I know a Discord server of 1,100 members who would stand to disagree with you.
If Wizards of The Coast is going to keep printing overpowered cards with obscene, format-warping mechanics, and then have to backpedal on their mistakes repeatedly, then YES we're gonna need a new format. Mistakes like Lurrus of the Dream-Den, Gyruda, Doom of Depths, and Yorion, Sky Nomad. And there's no sign of Wizards stopping either. Don't forget that Wizards is a subsidiary of Hasbro, a corporation, and they're not exempt from the "greedy corporation" rule. They print new cards and sell them so that, at the end of the day, the corporation can grow and make money and grow and make money and grow and... you get it. They don't really care about the player experience; they say they do, but deep down, they really don't. They care about profits. They care about growth. That was evidenced with the companions. They definitely didn't test those cards for eternal formats and guess what happened? They had to ban Lurrus & Zirda in Legacy/Vintage along with an errata to fix what they messed up. Take that as opposed to R&D doing their job and just not messing up in the first place.
People want something to look forward to in these dark times, not something they don't have to feel negatively about. We're already experiencing a lot of doom and gloom as a human race as is; we don't need a ravaged Modern format compounded on top of that. It's no secret that's Modern's in a pretty garbage position now - look at all these people making posts and writing articles about it:
And I think Project Modern is that very format that people want to look forward to. Both in terms of gameplay enjoyment and longevity. From the sheer effort that our computer nerds are putting in, from the work that our admin/mods are doing facilitating everything with tournaments and the card pool, it's pretty evident that a lot of people want this format to work out. At first, I was kind of skeptical like you; I under the impression that this format would crumble to the ground. But being in the server, partaking in the discussion, and playing some of the most actual fun games of Modern I've played in a long, long time has given me hope. There are some people out there that are genuinely passionate about this format, and they want to make things work.
On the topic of Splinter Twin - There's actually a group of 2 or 3 people actively testing the card out to see if it's right for Project Modern. I can put you in touch with them if you'd like. Here's a plug for one of our members playtesting vs. the Twin deck:
So I agree with you on the sentiment that many cards in WAR, MH1, ELD, TBD, and IKO are fun and enjoyable. I feel like you're under the impression that this format will be a time capsule and we'll keep the sets relegated to 8th Edition - Modern Horizons for the rest of the format's existence. This, however, is not the case. As much as some of us would like to relive the days before Teferi, Time Raveler was printed, we have decided that we cannot stay grounded in time. We will eventually add all the sets leading up to Ikoria and further. We are just staggering their inclusions in order to give it some time to work out the kinks. Hence the monthly set updates/B&R announcements. Our current roadmap for the next couple months looks like this:
June 1st: [WAR] + [MH1] + B&R
July 1st: [Core20] + [ELD] + B&R
August 1st: [TBD] + [IKO] + B&R
So we "release" two sets out to the public to play with, and simultaneously, we also ban any cards that were problematic as it pertains to that set's release. For example, yesterday, we made WAR and MH1 legal, but made the ban announcement of Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, Arcum's Astrolabe, and Mycosynth Lattice.