Thassa, God of the Sea
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God
As long as your devotion to blue is less than five, Thassa isn't a creature. (Each in the mana costs of permanents you control adds to your devotion to blue.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1.
: Target creature you control can't be blocked this turn.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (3)||Nurarihyon , Deaucalion , Krash343|
Printings View all
|Secret Lair (SLD)||Mythic Rare|
|Theros (THS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Thassa, God of the Sea occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Thassa, God of the Sea Discussion
2 days ago
A fun thing to do with Zur is to just cheat out a God or two, Heliod, Sun-Crowned and Athreos, God of Passage are both decent choices I find, but Thassa, God of the Sea can be a fine choice even if you can't make her a creature, since her abilities are pretty useful.
In an emergency, you can just make one of the God a Pariah to drag things out, and if you can make things unblockable with Thassa, dragging things out might work out well.
Deck looks like lots of fun, and seems pretty non-toxic! Good work making Zur seem reasonable.
Another good bit of tech is Imprisoned in the Moon which will just ruin a deck relying on a creature, PW, or even land's day, and they can't sac it nearly as easily vs Darksteel Mutation. You can theoretically remove a Commander with hexproof, indestructible, sac-proof, anything but protection from blue nearly, which is pleasantly rare.
2 weeks ago
Hi, welcome to edh!
First off, I want to say I think the deck looks great so far! I've been playing Yuriko for about 8-9 months now, and here are some things I'd suggest:
Mu Yanling I personally don't like planeswalkers in Yuriko decks. Since you won't have very good blockers, it likely won't survive until your next turn. I'd play something like Thassa, God of the Sea instead
Decree of Pain the cycling mode hurts your creatures much more than the rest of the table since you play lots of 1/1 's and 2/2 's. Commit / Memory has a cmc of 10, and can be a temporary removal spell or counterspell
Kindred Dominance unless you have an effect like Conspiracy out on the board, this hurts you a lot too. I'd play something like Evacuation instead. It's instant speed, and you can re-play your creatures a lot faster than your opponents can.
12-16. Inkfathom Infiltrator, Invisible Stalker, Quickling, Shadowmage Infiltrator, and Spark Double aren't good enough to justify their mana cost in my opinion. Some replacements I would suggest are Changeling Outcast, Dimir Infiltrator, Gudul Lurker, Mist-Cloaked Herald, Tormented Soul, and Baleful Strix
I hope this was helpful! If you want to check out my Yuriko deck, the link is https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-07-19-yuriko-edh/
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
2 weeks ago
bossomus Thanks so much for your input! Venser is already an addition to my deck on paper, just one of those things I havent updated here yet - along with the removal of Magic Mirror, it was too slow for the amount of instants/sorceries. Callaphe is kind of just a meme in this deck because Thassa, God of the Sea cant just make it unlockable for lethal late game and everyone underestimates it. But I definitely see what you mean there, it could be dumped for a counter, along with Gadwick. Heraldic Banner is nice because the amount of creatures in this deck does mean I swing in sometimes. It makes this deck more Midrange or Tempo than control, but it could be easily swapped. Dream Eater has to stay for me because Gosh I love this card. Surveil 4 every turn + bounce is too fun to pass up. It's also good for ditching cards I dont want from Cavalier of Gales, Sensei's Divining Top and other top-deck abilities. However, I mostly play casual, so the need to replace a good card with a great card isnt super high up on my list for the money.
I see you're also leaning towards more of a wizards theme, which is fun but not something I really built around with my creatures.
3 weeks ago
You have a lot of enchantment-based removal, like Darksteel Mutation, et al. I like these effects a lot but they can be even better with recursion. Starfield of Nyx and Hanna, Ship's Navigator would be good choices if you're looking for more card advantage. As far as deck slots go they can usually be treated as "draw".
They're expensive, but some of the best card draw cards are Kindred Discovery, Phyrexian Arena, and Rhystic Study. Some other fair-to-middling options that are enchantments/artifacts are Honden of Seeing Winds, The Magic Mirror, Coastal Piracy, Underworld Connections, Greed, Erebos, God of death, Vampiric Rites, Distant Melody, Mind Unbound, Well of Ideas, Thassa, God of the Sea (Scry 1 is kinda like 0.45 of a drawn card), Thought Reflection, Dictate of Kruphix, Monastery Siege, Tamiyo's Journal, Staff of Nin, Arcane Encyclopedia.
1 month ago
This planeswalker is only really useful for the -1 option, if you get it twice it's great value.
Homeward path protects against theft effects.
Curse can hit as many targets as you require.
Tireless Tracker is too slow and requires spare mana.
Better ramp upgrade.
More creatures to shore up against sac strategies.
Primal order is a powerful wincon when you only run a maximum of 5 non-basic lands.
1 month ago
I feel like Thassa, God of the Sea is strictly better than Dauthi Embrace in this deck. Same CMC; less color-intensive activation; can transform into a hard-to-kill, mill-ready creature; can't be killed by standard enchantment removal; and provides a free scry every turn on top of everything else. And it's another Theros god, so it's even more thematic! What's not to love?
1 month ago
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Not a wizard. Already have draw elsewhere.
- Gather Specimens: Fairly expensive. Most of the time just gets one creature. Feels bad to play against.
- Clone: Not a wizard (unless we clone one of our wizards)
- Willbender: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Voidmage Apprentice: Can't use for draw unless face up, at which point it's just a body.
- Deadeye Navigator: Not a wizard. Offers some protection for VIPs and synergy with ETB effects, but we can probably find more utility elsewhere.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: Not a wizard. Scry is ok, but we have draw elsewhere. Not swinging, so the unblockable component isn't used much.
- Ixidron: Not a wizard. Hides our wizards. We have other boardwipe options.
- Skullclamp: We prefer to keep our wizards on the board, and we don't have many tokens to sac to this, so we can get more draw elsewhere.
- Ancestral Memories: Decent filtering, but we can get more draw and other utility elsewhere.
- Simic Manipulator: Slow to build up. Not many big bodies to keep him growing.
- Urza's Bauble: Just filler.
- Fact or Fiction: We get enough draw elsewhere, we don't really need conditional draw.
- Treasure Cruise: Potentially cheap draw is good, but we don't fill up our graveyard quickly and we generally want to keep things in there if we can.
- Guile: Not a wizard. Fairly big body, and synergy with counters, but a bit too threatening. Want to keep a lower profile.
- Stonybrook Banneret: Make all of our wizards cheaper.
- Thassa's Oracle: Make draw a win condition
- Laboratory Maniac: Make draw a win condition.
- Dakra Mystic: Some group hug to make as a less likely target.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance: Value without tapping. Synergy with spells and counters.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept: Counterspells on a stick.
- Naban, Dean of Iteration: Value without tapping. Synergy with ETB effects.
- Graceful Adept: Value without tapping. Uncaps hand size.
- Patron Wizard: All wizards are now cheap counterspells.
- Portal Mage: Send a big bad away. Synergy with Naban.
- Sage of Fables: Makes wizards bigger. Allows for more draw, without needing to tap. Synergy with Naban.
- Glen Elendra Archmage: Repeatable counters when combined with Sage of Fables.
- Surgespanner: Repeatable bounce when combined with Azami, Lady of Scrolls or Patron Wizard
- High Tide: Instant speed ramp. Cheap enough to throw on Isochron Scepter
- Cyclonic Rift: Clear the board. Roughly replaces Ixidron
1 month ago
Here is my opinion you asked for.
You may add: Faerie Seer, Augury Owl, Sage Owl, Spark Double, Spire Owl, Insidious Dreams, Price of Fame or Snuff Out, Submerge, Scheming Symmetry, Bolas's Citadel, Cover of Darkness, Unnatural Selection, Mana Severance