Glacial Fortress enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Plains or an Island.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||jhTheMan99 , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , ibraJG84 , CampbellStev , Mousemke , rockleemyhero , , NostalgicAce , Big-Foot , perrin515 , Nemesis , pskinn01 , Dr.Jackel , Tiddilywinkus , ChrisH , hardhitta71194|
|Want (4)||Sasuin , acbooster , Kravian , TheAnnihilator|
Glacial Fortress Discussion
6 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 week ago
Some card advantage would probably also be good here, like Think Twice. Also, Dramatic Reversal dosen't really make sense to me, since you're only using to untap creatures, and if your looking to preserve your lifetotal, you got removal to help doing that.
2 weeks ago
Ha ha thanks!! I realized that Temple of Enlightenment's Scry 1 effect is not really needed here, as I have other scryers. Also, it enters tapped.
Here are the other changes I am making.
2 weeks ago
just saw the second comment. Tamiyo would not benefit you. both of her abilities are subpar for modern. In EDH shes a powerhouse because of her draw ability, but in modern it will probably wiff more often than it helps you. You mentioned her for defense, and there are several planeswalkers with better defensive abilities. some are even quite cheap. Jace, Architect of Thought is one of the better ones. But I think you're better off without him. maybe test it tho.
you hadn't read my first post when you asked about Temple of Enlightenment, so read that for a detailed explanation. long story short, I dont like the temple lands. Entering tapped is just such a huge drawback for a dual land. I explained the qualities of the fetches and shocks, and yes, they are the best way to build a manabase in modern. period. however, I have a budget alternative. Glacial Fortress, Prairie Stream, Port Town. you'll want 4 Prairie Streams before anything else. they are the glue that holds this manabase together. without them, the other two are much less consistent.
boom, i just saved you $100 =P
2 weeks ago
Might consider adding some Glacial Fortress
Sun Titan can help you bring back some of your guys that didn't make it in the late game, as well as your oblivion rings and tumble magnet if they're removed.
Blade Splicer is a solid addition to most white beatdowns because it provides great value for the mana.
Ghostly Flicker can give you some combat tricks, and can help you get a lot of value out of SUnblast Angel and Stonehorn Dignitary
3 weeks ago
Most Izzet lands are expensive, so get some buddy lands of the other colors. Glacial Fortress is pretty nice, I don't know the boros one off the top of my head but someone else will.
Btw when you are on the deck edit page you can check the "needs help" box and it will show that.
3 weeks ago
Looking at the list I would recommend replacing Mana Leak with Remand because Mana Leak is decent in the early game but in the late game it becomes much easier to play around. Remand on the other hand fits the tempo style of this deck much better and often feels like a Time Walk in the early game. Next I would drop the Favorable Winds for Serum Visions. Favorable Winds is just to slow for this deck and doesn't do enough, Serum Visions on the other hand can greatly fix you draws ensuring your tempo deck performs as a tempo deck.
Also some cards to consider as you develop your deck:--Stony Silence--Silence--Render Silent--Turn Aside--Faerie Conclave--Celestial Colonnade--Cavern of Souls--Ghost Quarter--Glacial Fortress--Mutavault--Mystic Gate--Nimbus Maze--Sphinx's Revelation--Azorius Charm--Snapcaster Mage--Pithing Needle
Some Cards you want to look out for:--Chalice of the Void--Supreme Verdict--Torpor Orb--Anger of the Gods--Essence Scatter--Molten Rain--Stone Rain--Path to Exile--Lightning Bolt--Snapcaster Mage--Engineered Explosives--General RDW, Goblins and 40 Bolt
That's everything off the top of my head, hope it helps.
3 weeks ago
Consider slightly better lands perhaps, something like Glacial Fortress.