|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Uncommon|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs Kiora (DDO)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Mother of Runes
Creature — Human Cleric
: Target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||awalloftext , DruneGrey , Azdranax , bakeraj4 , tragic_slip , Roadhog , Poptartz95 , Paradise_Collectibles , L4DMalus , nate_wizardadept , Vergil_Redgrail , ironax , Psycheretic , sonnet666 , buildingadeck , RazortoothMtg , zachi , LeroyJones , RubyStrings , dexxter7 , Supremespeed , gosora , killstars , mlouden03 , saj0219 , Reliva , ShishkyBob , KillDatBUG , mziter501|
|Want (5)||Vasbear1 , Xue-Kaihua , sneferie , Xikitten123 , Spinalripper|
Mother of Runes Discussion
2 days ago
Hi! I just cycled my The Forsaken of the Vast (EDH, Casual Aggro) and saw yours. I am a big fan of Kaalia, and she has been my most-played commander. I think at a skilled-but-casual table where I play she is pretty devastating.
So far I really like your deck! You have a lot of what I consider the Kaalia essentials - and we both agree on running Dragon Tempest which I think is a no-brainer yet I see missing on several deck lists.
For suggestions, I think you have a couple things you could improve right away. The first would be - in my opinion - to cut out the creatures that don't fit the deck schema. Iroas, God of Victory and Mother of Runes are pretty non-essential to the deck and are taking up valuable Demon/Dragon/Angel space. If you are looking for protection try out Deathless Angel in one of those slots instead.
The second suggestion would be to consider running as much additional attack phase cards as you can. You have Hellkite Charger, for consistency I included its enchantment brother Aggravated Assault, and some supplementary Waves of Aggression and Legion's Initiative.
In general, since Kaalia focuses on creatures powerfully, look for ways to move cards away from instant/sorceries and onto creatures if you can. I'd say 28 creatures is a bit low for Kaalia, and you could swap in some creatures for things like card draw and take out the cards that are more static and ineffective to the overall scheme of the deck. Try to find alternative like running a Harvester of Souls instead for where you slotted Underworld Connections.
These are my opinion of course, I think it's a fine start to Kaalia. She is one of my favourite commanders to ever play with and it brings me joy to see someone share in that fun. I spent months editing and refining my Kaalia deck to fit my particular flavour of her. I respect what you're doing a lot and I think you will have a blast building, playing, refining and conquering with our girl Kaalia!
2 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
2 weeks ago
Others that I can think of that are excellent choices in mono white voltron are:Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Land Tax Mass Calcify Steelshaper's Gift Steelshaper Apprentice Open the Armory Stonehewer Giant Sculpting Steel Enlightened Tutor Mother of Runes Stoneforge Mystic Aven Mindcensor Godsend Puresteel Paladin Knight of the White Orchid O-Naginata Brass Squire Scythe of the Wretched
3 weeks ago
Here's my list: life.dec
The original iterations were either Abzan, Bant or GW, if I'm not mistaken. Since it's an archetype that precedes the internet boom for Magic: The Gathering content however, I have a hard time finding any information on it. I'm treating my version as a sort of home brew.
I have lost more games due to bad opening hands than due to an opponent having answers to my combo pieces. This deck just does not mulligan well, and a mulligan to five is hoping that you have at least 2 combo pieces in hand, and that you scry into the third. The combo pieces that we have are incredibly redundant (my version runs no less than four ways of sacrificing in order to gain life, only one of which is an actual spell), and Living Wish and to a lesser extent Recruiter of the Guard allows me to just tutor up whatever I'm missing. In many cases games tend to become a race: against Lands: can you combo off fast enough before The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale becomes an issue? against Burn and Storm: can you combo off fast enough before you're dealt lethal damage* against Elves: can you combo off before they find a way to get Craterhoof Behemoth into play and run you over?
Between Cavern of Souls and Mother of Runes, I find life.dec quite resistant to spot removal and counter magic. Force of Will, Daze, or Chalice of the Void do little in the face of uncounterable cards. Likewise, Daru Spiritualist doesn't care about Punishing Fire, and Task Force scoffs at Lightning Bolt. What I consider more important is how we win the game against opponents who do not scoop as soon as the combo has been assembled and executed. Jace, the Mind Sculptor's ultimate, Painter's Servant + Grindstone are win conditions that do not care about life totals. Against these decks, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim is absolutely crucial since it is our only way to permanently deal with these cards. However, since I only get to play legacy once every month and since this is my first legacy deck, I haven't had much opportunity to do any thorough testing.
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the Mox Diamonds with Aether Vials because it would allow me to tutor up creatures and play them in the same turn. One or multiple Meddling Mages might also be useful, although I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to sacrifice combo speed for more control, especially not in a meta that consists mainly of decks that aim to kill as quickly as possible.
1 month ago
No problem, I saw this deck and was impressed, looks like you're onto something, everything is a threat, and grants substantial value. This deck can deal with other creature decks quite well enough it seems. I would imagine your hardest matchup would be going toe to toe with Esper/Grixis/Blue/Dimir based control decks...? If so it's not impossible to deal with those decks, and if I may I'll try to suggest other options white/green can offer with those types of decks.
When I saw the hexproof/indestructible/devotion theme I instantly thought Fleecemane Lion, granted he needs to be monstrous, but nonetheless it's always a great early drop and beater, getting it monstrous shouldn't be too hard in theory.
Since you mentioned the deck deals well with creatures, and you want more creature based options with abilities, the first and foremost that I can think of against control decks is Eight-and-a-Half-Tails maybe Mother of Runes
Maybe Silence that is a control card itself, however if you were to run this card always cast it during your opps. turn and word it so, "During your beginning phase(would be ideal), or untap step I cast Silence.."
I think all of these are modern legal?
1 month ago
this is the deck I need help with.I just wanna make it better. It was loosely based on managorger hydra back in Origins.
1 month ago
Yeah, Goblin bombardment is one of the nicest sacoutlets.About your creatures, well, I miss Mother of Runes, Puresteel Paladin and whenever you can: Stoneforge Mystic but for the moment you can run Open the Armory . You said Fiend Hunter will be in, thats nice.
And I know, Kiki combo is unfun in a less competitive meta, I've never ever runned that combo (don't have any Kiki :c) but I play against it to many times, there are many card/and strategies that can disrupt that (this are suggestion to your list): Thalia, Heretic Cathar is an alway nice creature, slowdown your opponents and prevent kikijiki and others; same for Blind Obedience its downside(?) is that it is not a creature.
1 month ago
I actually overlooked Grand Abolisher as we were discussing the combo going off. That makes him so OP in this type of combo. So the real threats that the deck poses is seeing Morality Shift and Dread Return resolve. It seems there are a lot of combo decks I've been coming across lately, on here and my local meta. I enjoy combo decks, but that's why I intend in putting Jester's Cap in nearly every EDH deck I run. It seems people have forgotten about it tbh.
That's awesome shutting down Saskia, I bet they were slightly annoyed - Mother of Runes is such a powerful one drop. Being able to protect a creature or herself is ridiculous. Great card for making your opps. expend their singleton removal. It doesn't protect against board wipes tho. because things aren't "specifically targeted" by some board wipes. This deck is expensive but man it looks fun!