Creature — Dragon
Whenever Hellkite Tyrant deals combat damage to a player, gain control of all artifacts that player controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control twenty or more artifacts, you win the game.
|Want (4)||DJGam-G , Dragero , sensrawsm , lordbovine|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hellkite Tyrant occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Hellkite Tyrant Discussion
3 days ago
In my humble opinion, Kaldheim is looking like an amazing set. We haven't gotten any broken things, but they all look fun. Let's go over some of the future commanders of our hearts! I'm skipping over commanders that use fortell, as we don't have many cards for them. Oh, and the cards that don't interest me. My post, my rules!
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw: The dwarf commander we've all been waiting for! Dwarven Recruiter is finally good, and you can add in some spicy treasure/dragon synergies, too! I-I think we did it guys. We broke Dockside Extortionist. Oh, and Hellkite Tyrant is a must.
- Halvar, God of Battle Flip: While pretty good in Voltron decks, he makes for the first artifact commander we've ever had, and I know my Inner Johnny is tickled at that fact. The Equipment side is also super cool, with being able to pay 4 mana to resuscitate one of your creatures. With some Phyrexian Altar + Ashnod's Altar janks, we can make a fun mono-white combo deck! Oh, and Batterskull says hi.
- Lathril, Blade of the Elves: I'm really psyched for this general. She looks like a way to make Golgari Elfball more viable, has a crazy, but not broken, activated ability, and is one of the only generals to make a usually too-competitive strategy fit for more casual tables. She has synergy up the wazoo with cards like Immaculate Magistrate and Timberwatch Elf. Oh, and one card that should be in every one of her decks, but is in zero so far, is Elder of Laurels. This card = broken in this deck, often turning your Lathril, Blade of the Elves into a four-digit power commander. Run it!
- Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider: Finally, Superfriends has some support! But seriously, this is just another Doubling Season with an upside on a stick for Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. If you want to be cruel and run this bad boy as a commander, stax/superfriends seems the way to go. Say hello to Smokestack!
- Toski, Bearer of Secrets: And people said Green couldn't draw cards! Why did they have to print another Edric, Spymaster of Trest? This card is also an indestructible blocker with cards like Seedborn Muse and Quest for Renewal. Oh, and it can't be countered. Why? Because green.
- Valki, God of Lies Flip: This card is super fun. It's like a Lazav, the Multifarious but you get to use your opponent's creatures. But where this 'lil trickster god really shines is in the 99. But more specifically, in the 99 of The First Sliver. See, you can cascade into Valki, God of Lies Flip, but instead of casting the small side, you can just windmill-slam Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor on Turn 4. Fun!
- Sarulf, Realm Eater: Golgari Control is a thing, I guess? Stack your deck like card:Skullbrair, the Walking Grave does, but instead of going for the voltron combos, instead, you wipe your opponent's board every turn. Evolutionary Escalation is a must. Who cares about an 8/8 on your opponent's side when it's dead?
- Kolvori, God of Kinship Flip: Man, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain sure got a lot of new goodies in this set! This card is unfortunately not great as a commander. If I'm playing mono-green legends, I'd rather play Reki, the History of Kamigawa.
- Tergrid, God of Fright Flip: I love this card. There. I've said it. I'm done. This goes in so many different decks: Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Tinybones, Trinket Thief, Malfegor, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, the list goes on and on! As a commander, she's kill-on-sigh. A single Smallpox just wins you the game.
- Vega, the Watcher: I'll say it: This is probably the most powerful uncommon commander ever printed. This triggers off of so many things: Elsha of the Infinite, Flahsback, Cascade, Retrace, Future Sight, Suspend, Adventure, Foretell, Impulse Draw, etc. Need I say more?
2 weeks ago
Chandra, Awakened Inferno is super fun. Even if you only get one activation off of her, that damage adds up over time very nicely and it's unstoppable.
Descent of the Dragons is a wonderful upgrade if you have too many small creatures and want to wrath yourself.
Hellkite Tyrant is really fun. It's an underrated card. Not only does it have evasion, but it has trample also. Don't worry about that wincon, you'll seldom if ever land it. What's fun is the stealing ability because it's permanent. Consider that EDH relies heavily on mana rocks. You can disable an entire mana base while boosting yours. It's honestly a super great card that I never see played.
Rage Reflection is really good if you go wide. Works better in 2+ colors such as Gruul but it is a fun card, nevertheless.
Whims of the Fates is great if you love chaos decks.
3 weeks ago
sub780lime, Blightsteel Colossus would certainly be a good card to run for the commander, but I don't think it's right for this deck. And even if it did make the deck better, it wouldn't fit the theme, and that's important to me. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point. But yeah, I think that artifact-heavy is a good way to build Magda. Especially if you include Hellkite Tyrant.
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
Depending on how aggressively your meta plays board wipes, you might just take out the token dragon generators which will make it less killy on turn but allow you to play out more game with the cards you like. For example you could play with the Hellkite Charger + Savage Ventmaw which will give you tons of combat steps to use The Ur-Dragon's effect, and will still kill players ded. I used to have the Hellkite Tyrant in the deck because I don't have any way in the deck to destroy trouble artifacts and enchantments. Same with the Dragon Mage except I was using it to get dragons out of my hand and fill it back up with cards when I wasn't hitting a BIGWIN card. Wishclaw Talisman seems really cool I like it as a card and it makes for a good 2 mana tutor when you have the other support cards down.
1 month ago
Thanks kaigen! You're very kind but this is still an experimental build, with many pet cards of my collection like The Ur-Dragon and Hellkite Tyrant. Probably, replacing them with some talisman would be better, but I like them too much. So far I've been impressed with the little artifact synergy in Wishclaw Talisman and the discard/draw utility of Dragon Mage.
1 month ago
Yes, I can recommend building this deck if you do not plan to go infinite :). The value you are going to get through treasure with this deck is going to be a lot of fun also without combo. Not sure I would lean to that Thermo-Alchemist-spellslinger path though. Focussing on Mechanized Production/Hellkite Tyrant and Voltron might just be all you need, maybe adding some more counterspells to protect those wincons. But adding some more pirates sounds good too!
If I had to alter my list, I would likely remove Havoc Jester, Reckless Fireweaver, Arcane Adaptation, Coercive Recruiter, Curiosity and Sigil of Sleep. That gives you quite some spots to round up the deck in another way. Glint-Horn Buccaneer you can keep in the deck if you can agree with your playgroup you won’t use it to go infinite. If you only use it once a turn for example, it’s still a very good card in the deck I think.