Please login to comment
SirQuixano all excellent suggestions. I definitely think you should! I'm really curious as how this elephant will scale into normal edh. Best of luck to you though.
April 16, 2021 2:33 a.m.
So, while Scaretiller would give us more grind potential I don't feel he's necessary. He's a 4 mana 1/4 that requires us to have lands in hand or lands in the graveyard. Sure, we have things Cathartic Reunion and Evolving Wilds but he provides no immediate value and short of adding in cards like Springleaf Drum and vehicle cards we're going to need to attack to get value.
Already have Angelic Renewal in the deck; the 4 mana reanimation spells were a consideration but I didn't feel they warranted a spot due only having 3 creatures that cost more than 4 mana. Sure, we can cheat commander tax and sneak out a Crusher or get a cool etb that gives us monarch or gets back a combo piece - but it'd come at the cost of speed. Pedh decks already struggle enough to keep up with normal decks.
I do like the cycle on Marshaling Cry I may try it out in place of rally
The enchantments that return themselves could also be usful - definitely risky but I do like sudo-card advantage
The mana filter is an idea but definitely makes the combo have even more moving parts. I don't see it providing much value outside of the combo but I suppose that would require some play testing to truly determine.
Lastly, we already have Impact Tremors in the deck. I appreciate the suggestions and the compliments though. I have a feeling this deck will scale up.
April 14, 2021 6:16 p.m.
Metroid_Hybrid - though I can appreciate the meme, I think the real message everyone is trying to send is learn to take the L and grow from it.
April 13, 2021 6:52 p.m.
Oh man I totally forgot about the dwarf! I believe the Korvald discord was raving about him for days. Though its probably just the magecraft mechanic it'll definitely see play. Though I think going forward it definitely limits design space.
April 12, 2021 3:25 p.m.
Got a spicy Rootha brew for you.
April 12, 2021 4:06 a.m.
The removal in this set is going to make draft/limited very hard to navigate but I'm glad we're getting new efficient toys.
Boros getting more support is always a good thing - I'm very exhausted hearing about how white and boros never get anything cool. I'm hoping the spirits and extra combat dragon mitigate those articles/threads a bit.
April 11, 2021 9:55 p.m.
Curious as to what everyone thinks about the new set both power wise and flavor wise. Just for fun rate your top 5 picks for the most powerful cards and top 5 picks for flavorful/favorite cards. Of course they can over lap.
All of the magecraft cards...cause we all know Chain of Smog is going to be a thing.
Plumb the Forbidden - aristocrats players are going to love this! However, I'm not sure what the floor is for this card; the ceiling is very high though.
Fervent Mastery - well 4 or 5 mana is a bit steep at sorcery speed but god dang that's a lot of value RNG aside.
(This isn't in any particular order)
1) Rushed Rebirth - it doesn't even have to be you own creature! I see this going into any Birthing Pod /Evolution deck that can run in aswell as just being a snap include in things like Meren and Muldrotha. Hell, any BG deck will probably want this if they're running creatures.
2) Galazeth Prismari - now I know some of you are thinking this is just a worse version or Urza but this dragon still has a strong bit. Having red in its' color identity opens us up to shenanigans with Dockside Extortionist . Also, it can break parity with cards like Winter Orb which I'm sure if you've played against that type of strategy you know how infuriating it is.
3) Beledros Witherbloom - essentially a "free" spell at the cost of 10 life. Makes token fodder for things like Contamination but it's that untap "all" lands you control once each turn that's got my gears turning. Now, I doubt it'll outclass frog but it definitely opens golgari up to some big mana ridiculousness. Honestly surprised canal coffers hasn't spiked.
4) Ecological Appreciation - card is just value town city but we already have other similar cards that don't see much play. This just looks very breakable.
5) Solve the Equation - it's a tutor!
1) ink sheild - I love the art and love that it's a proactive fog! I hope for more cards like this in the future.
2) Yedora, Grave Gardener - they just keep printing cool things to verse 5 for, for Yisan. Granted I think this belongs in the 99 of decks that can blink lands but it's a very cool design space.
3) Rushed Rebirth - I just think this card will set up some really interesting plays
4) Shadrix Silversquall - so one of my favorite play styles in casual is king maker and the alternate art is just awesome
5) Magma Opus - obviously not a fan of this in commander but I can see this being super busted in a pioneer deck with fat caster mage - Torrential Gearhulk even though pioneer is dead at my lgs :( still think it'd be a lot of fun.
April 11, 2021 9:13 p.m.
Had to brew up this elephant! I definitely see this guy scaling as wizards slowly starts adding more non-combat oriented toys to red/white. Figured out how to make infinite spirit and can do infinite damage :) though it's a lot of moving parts.
April 11, 2021 6:02 p.m.
I'm actually rather surprised with the power level of this set. Nothing is partners/urza good but loads of good removal and gimmicky cards most commander players will find a home for.
April 11, 2021 12:03 a.m.
Multiple times. The uncommon legends that have been coming out post domineria are very HIT and miss - I've brewed up a pauper edh Dina, Soul Steeper and can assure you it can do more than just beats but it does beats well too. Check out the compendium on here for some nifty ideas :) you may even find what you're looking for.
April 10, 2021 9:14 p.m.
This was what was implemented at my lgs because of the prize for the commander tournments was so heavy. You do not want someone choosing the order in which people lose - leads to a lot of scumbag tactics and feel bads. Basically, the winner would ascend and the remaining players would Duke it out but were still on a timer.
I don't think this goes too well with casual groups just shuffle up and play another game. The game has come to its conclusion - even if it's a degenerate combo; if you're not a fan of alternate win conditions or combos just voice that to your group or perhaps find a new group with a similar approach to the game.
April 10, 2021 8:35 p.m.
So, griffstick you'll probably beat me to the punch on all of the Strixhaven brews but I'm going to try my best to help you flesh out the commanders for this set :)
Anyways, here's my Killian list
April 10, 2021 7:16 p.m.
So, cards like Pongify and Ravenform aren't eliminating a threat entirely - its usually making them smaller and the person on the receiving end still has a clock. These cards still feel very blue - at least to me.
April 10, 2021 3:22 a.m.
KibaAlpha thanks! Hopefully your build turns out well :)
April 8, 2021 6:47 a.m.
griffstick same to you! Looks like we both had the urge to build the same thing. I'm planning on brewing up all of the uncommon legends from this set. I wonder if we'll make the same ones again lol.
April 6, 2021 2:03 a.m.
I may have beaten you to it but our builds are fairly different. :) looks like you took a more aggro direction. Mine can swap gears but its definitely a combo deck at its' core - which is a bit rough in pauper.
April 6, 2021 2:01 a.m.
The beef battalion tribe definitely suffers from a lack of support. With jumpstart we got Sethron, Hurloon General who's probably the best option for tribal - honestly I'd wait a few more sets before trying to put it together. Haven't looked at the list yet but things like Mana Crypt , Mana Vault , Chrome Mox , and Jeweled Lotus are what I've been finding speed decks up the most. Alternatively, rituals like Dark Ritual , Seething Song and Desperate Ritual could help but they're all one shot - so, if you blow your load and get met with removal you'll be set way back.
April 5, 2021 10:02 p.m. Edited.
Well, I'm finally getting around to Strixhaven Brews and I came up with a spicy one today
Dina Aristocrats - if you're looking for a golgari lifegain style combo deck look no further!
April 5, 2021 8:19 p.m.
So with print runs the way they are now and the restrictions on buying draft boosters coming up I'm not sure anyone can accurately predict the market
Covid has put a damper on numbers - or at least that's what wotc claims and booster boxes aren't going to be up for sale at wpn stores after this set.
I bought into the war of the spark Japanese booster boxes for the alternate arts - big mistake. With the exception of pre release foils and foil versions of the walkers the value of those cards is poop.
If you invest in anything mtg related only do reserved list. The only new product I've been buying has been supplimentey sets/commander products and masters sets. Everything else had a terrible ev and hasn't rubberband back.
April 5, 2021 6 p.m.
SCORE: 1 | 4 COMMENTS | 82 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
|Avg. deck rating||5.59|
|Good Card Suggestions||580|
|Last activity||10 hours|