Whenever you tap a land for mana, add one mana to your mana pool of any type that land produced. (The types of mana are white, blue, black, red, green and colourless.)
Whenever you cast a creature spell, draw a card.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Zendikar Resurgent Discussion
1 week ago
Zaxara! I love this Hydra to pieces! Have you considered making it even more fun with Zendikar Resurgent?
3 weeks ago
Nature's Claim , Esper Sentinel , Beast Whisperer , Zendikar Resurgent , Talisman of Unity , Pest Infestation , Rest in Peace , Vivien, Champion of the Wilds , Teferi's Protection , Settle the Wreckage
1 month ago
Thanks for the suggestion! I kind of forgot about this card (Branching Evolution) since it was released with Jumpstart at an absurd price, but now that the supply meets the demand that card is actually pretty good for the deck. I might consider it for the next upgrade, I still need to play the deck more with the recent card I've added before making a swap. But if I had thought of it during my last upgrade of the deck I would have probably replaced Unbound Flourishing with Branching Evolution.
To answer your question about those 3 cards and why I removed them from my deck:
Don't get me wrong, this card is powerful and has a sweet art. I love it, or rather I loved it. This card is good with X spells and X abilities, but the more I upgraded this deck the less card I had that could work with it. I hold on to that card as much as I could, but after a few games I found out that it was most of the time a dead draw because I either didn't have any spell or abilities that worked with it or had already cast them... I was sad when I removed it from my deck, but it is for the better. I still want to build a deck where this card could really shine.
For example, right now in my deck, it can only work for 12 Hydras. Two of them are for Monstruous abilities that don't even work when copied and for no spells at all. So in the end, only 10 cards work with this and the second ability of the card will never be used. Too little chance of being used is what made me decide to cut it.
This is also a cool card, but the CMC/MV is too high in my opinion. This card comes up too late in the game when I have already cast a bunch of Hydras so both effects become a little bit useless. I found out that I preferred cards with smaller CMC/MV that draw me cards like Elemental Bond and Garruk's Uprising rather than this one because those keep me going during the game, transforming my creatures into cantrips really early on. The mana doubling aspect is pretty good too, but I can ramp so easily that I don't need that much many at any time so I didn't feel it had any impact on there too. Also, it is a big magnet for removal so spending 7 mana for nothing always feels bad when it gets removed before you can even use it.
This deck needs evasion in the form of Trample or being unblockable. I did cut Nylea, God of the Hunt, but I'm thinking of putting her back in just because of Ohran Frostfang and how Trample and Deathtouch work together. She was doing fine in the deck, I just found that sometimes she feels like a dead draw when you have other Trample enablers already in place and I never found myself using her ability that much. But I did like the fact that she was Indestructible.
Right those are the cards I'm using to give Trample to my creatures:
Brawn > hard to be removed
Garruk's Uprising > this card does so much
Dragon Throne of Tarkir > literally one of my best finishers in the deck by giving Trample + a BIG Buff
Rancor > because it can trigger Gargos and recure itself
Vivien Reid > with her Ultimate
And those are the cards to make my big Hydras unblockable:
Glaring Spotlight > because it can allow me to fight my opponents' creatures even if they have protection on them and protect my board or allow for a final swing (or sometimes just a "player removal" swing).
Bellowing tanglewurm > because I just love it and found it really useful, but if your meta is full of green decks, maybe not a good idea for you. But could probably be the one to be cut if I bring Nylea, God of the Hunt back.
And that is all!
Thanks again for your comments I greatly appreciate it and I'll go take a look at your own Gargos list too soon!
1 month ago
Great list! I’ve been working on a Gargos build and I’m curious what your experience has been with the cards Unbound Flourishing, Zendikar Resurgent, and Nylea, God of the Hunt. I see that they were on your original list and then moved to the maybeboard. Were these cards not as effective as they seem? Also have you tested Branching Evolution? I’m definitely including Whip Silk on my list, what a great find!
1 month ago
I have an Omnath, Locus of the Storm deck that seeks to storm off by playing mana doublers and then play cards that become mana positive by that. With Nyxbloom Ancient in play, Skyshroud Claim becomes a ritual. This card could become one too, if you'd add another thing like Zendikar Resurgent. In that deck, I would play Untamed Wilds over Cultivate, probably. But I already play Beanstalk Giant there, and Search for Tomorrow, which are strict upgrades over Untamed Wilds in most green decks.
1 month ago
Why not have any cards that draw off playing creatures if you're playing so many creatures? Not even Beast Whisperer? There's also Primordial Sage, Soul of the Harvest, and Zendikar Resurgent for that. I also think you could really use Toski, Bearer of Secrets and Ohran Frostfang as well, the frostfang being especially good because it gives your creatures deathtouch, so you can cut as many of the deathtouch creatures as possible, such as Daggerback Basilisk, which is an awful card. Saryth, the Viper's Fang and Bow of Nylea are also good ways to give your creatures deathtouch without having to commit so many slots to creatures with that ability that do literally nothing else for you. If you're not concerned with budget, there's also Concordant Crossroads, The Great Henge, and Glimpse of Nature which would be great additions.
2 months ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.
2 months ago
Did a bit of Brainstorming last night
Potentially Temur Sabertooth might be good in my playgroup due to the amount of removal and ability to setup.
Rude Awakening + Temur Sabertooth + Eternal Witness + 11 mana == infinite mana and bounce/infinite ETB. Temur Sabertooth, plus any of my ETB or cast cards gives a lot of utility including extra draw, recurrence, removal, spot protection from removal.
I think this card is worth a shot with the amount of mana I have available most times. For the sake of theorycrafting we have to try it!! Who knows maybe if I wanted to go the jank route this would make Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Helix Pinnacle or Aetherflux Reservoir viable as a non-attack wincon. Testing needed,, wanted to vorinclex in my collection anyways.
For classic wincons,
For creatures, I feel like I could hold a sideboard of 15 fatties on me and swap them in and they would all feel equally viable. That said Kozilek, Butcher of Truth felt irreplaceable and thus is getting a perm mainboard. Prevents milling, draws cards, threat/wincon, resets my deck, nice with Life from the Loam.
Vorinclex like I've mentioned before accelerates the deck and give me more time. It's more of enabler than a combo piece itself. Potentially Defense of the Heart might work here too if I hadd him. It would also open up potentially a new archtype if I went with Aetherflux Reservoir + Temur Sabertooth.
As for the draw situation, we could build around it or just go with the classics.
Adding Guardian Project to the maybe board along with Beast Whisperer. They're not as "fast" as the other options, but guardian often times is a Harmonize or better and beast whisperer is tutorable draw!
Some classics are: Garruk, Primal Hunter which is a "5 mana draw spell", Shamanic Revelation is another Regal Force that works with tokens! Rishkar's Expertise is another garruk that has a ~70% chance to hit another spell. That percentile is potentially amazing due to the composition of the current deck.
On the fringe for: Zendikar Resurgent, vorinclex slowing down opponent's in that slot feels better as a mana doubler, and I could just play Guardian Project earlier if I was after the draw. This card feels like it's in a weird place. Might turn out to be just an expensive harmonize. Momentous Fall, I don't know how I feel about this yet. Generally it says, 4 mana sac a creature draw 2-6 cards. Feels like a card I would play when I'm ahead, not to get ahead. That said I could say the same for anything else that is not an etb draw, regal, or harmonize.
Next step I guess is to make a couple "Packages" and see how they fit the deck.