|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
Sacrifice two Saproling: You gain 2 life and draw a card
Fungal Plots Discussion
1 week ago
@: Already found 11 ideas to put in. Each w/ their own purpose of sacking. I suppose the fact I can't find something to Draw a card Via Saccing a Sap means I guess Utopia Mycon should be cut as mana regardless? What would be good here?:
Or is Fungal Plots fine?
Only after this will I feel ready to end this debate of Naya...
1 week ago
Ok, I definitely understand your reasoning for those cards. They're very helpful for sure.
Yeah, you don't need to have Vigor out to use Blasphemous Act if you don't want to, in case someone else's board is getting ridiculous. It's just a fun interaction that they can have. Both cards are good in their own right, just combining them can be funny, especially if you have Primal Vigor or Doubling Season out too. But you don't need to use it in that way. Besides, you have other things to protect them from wipes, like Heroic Intervention and Golgari Charm .
As for your final cuts, I think one that should go is Evolutionary Leap . It's a great card, don't get me wrong, but I think skipping a lot of high value cards to get a creature in your hand may be detrimental. You have a ton of enchantments and spells that could be missed out on if you use it. If you're fine with that, then I would keep it. It's still a good card. Another card is maybe Fungal Plots , as it only works on saprolings and it takes two saprolings at a time to make it work for only one draw. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician can accomplish that, can sacrifice anything, and do more with it. Skullmulcher has good potential and goes well with the counter theme.
A card that has been kind of bothering me the more I look at it, is Blasting Station . More often than not, it will really only be valuable if you can infinite with it, but at that point you already have Goblin Bombardment which doesn't have a funky clause that needs it to work. You already have a ton of sacrifice outlets, and not nearly as many token generators even if Tana is a token generator in the command zone. If you want to keep an outlet for it still, I would recommend maybe a Viscera Seer over Blasting Station. It's good for fixing the top of your library more carefully and it is only 1cmc.
2 weeks ago
noggynogworld Hey thanks for the input! That was pretty quick, too! I had alot more as I started writing, so I'm gonna condense it here and then work on a proper description for the deck. The important part is that the answer to your question is utility/value over combat in regards to my tokens. Didn't mean to write such a wall of text, but hopefully this sheds light on where I'm taking this. I'll try to have it all laid out in the description later today.
I want to come out ramping, get Tana out ASAP, and hit someone to start the saproling engine going. I mostly want to use Reyhan to make Tana big and explode into saprolings, same as the Hooded Hydra once it gets big and I sac it for lots of little guys.
Writing this out, I'm realizing that I kinda don't care about combat with this deck except for getting the actual tokens from Tana along with using Reyhan and Blade of Selves to make Tana absurdly large -- I want to win via drains and pings with Purphoros, God of the Forge , Poison-Tip Archer , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and keep the board clear with Dictate of Erebos , Blasting Station , Goblin Bombardment and Walking Ballista (but mostly when I can stack more counters on him with various counter dudes and Reyhan). Combat will be easy if Champion of Lambholt sticks at all, since all of my stuff will quickly pump her and my whole field can just alpha at will.
Quick input on your suggestions:
Tendershoot Dryad , Asceticism , Heroic Intervention , Pitiless Plunderer , Death's Presence , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician are all incredible -- I thought I had Death's Presence in the list already, too. You're reasoning is solid and these certianly need to find homes.
Parallel Lives I have covered by Primal Vigor which I'm using over Doubling Season in hopes that it sticks around longer -- its asymetrical effect might make it less of a target until its too late. I know its probably silly to include multiples of the +1/+1 counters mechanics without also multiple token doublers. This is something I'll have to keep an eye on this as I really want to split the difference between the two mechanics and use them both.
Fungal Plots is actually a last minute addition, but I included it largely due to the instant-speed sac-two saprolings. No other costs involved and those could end up interacting well with any "this happens when something dies" effects. I see its strength largely in not needing to keep mana up to respond to, for example, a board wipe at instant speed.
For your concerns:
Concordant Crossroads is a haste enabler to let me swing with Tana ASAP, more than anything else. It being a symetrical effect is potentially dangerous, but the reasoning there is the same as that for Primal Vigor . I would think that I have enough chump lockers in my saprolings to deal with things coming my way, but if there is soemthing like a a Scion of theUr Dragon deck dropping hastey dragons that might be less cool. Definitely on the watch list.
Utopia Mycon is also one of the "maybe" cards, I love the no-cost sac -for-mana that will work well with other stuff, and if Tana wasn't my commander I don't think he would have a spot here at all.
Citanul Hierophants is exactly meant as redundancy for Cryptolith Rite , but its one of those things -- I'm not entirely sure how many duplicate effects I ned to remain effective. Especially after seeing the Plunderer this could go.
Greater Good is another example of intant-speed no-cost sac effect with benefits, and I think the only reason it can be here is Reyahn, if it plays out how I hope it will.
Crop Rotation I have in for Bojuka Bog and any other specific utility lands I need to fetch up, though it is definitely more powerful when the haymakers you listed are involved. The mana base as a whole I'm ignoring until I finalize-ish the last 65, so I can get the distribution of color sources right.
2 weeks ago
Hey there, I saw your comment on my Tana/Tymna deck, I'm glad you liked it.
This deck is interesting! It seems like you struck a good balance with counters and tokens. I'll give some tips and suggestions based on what I see here. Before I start though, I need to know how you are using your tokens. Are they used more for beating down or more for value? I'll make more suggestions once you tell me. All the suggestions I make are just my opinion, take it however you like.
Cards I would suggest finding room for:
- Tendershoot Dryad It's a fantastic token generator, and the Ascend ability on it is no joke.
- Asceticism and Heroic Intervention I noticed there is a lack of protection for your board. Something I learned, especially recently, is that our token generators and any other value creatures need to be protected. Token decks have a hard time coming back if they get wiped or targeted down before they can do anything, so these are must haves in my opinion. Archetype of Endurance is a good budget replacement for Asceticism, though very high in cmc.
- Pitiless Plunderer This adds a ton of value for sacrificing your own creatures. It has come in clutch for me more times than I could count. Also it works really well with Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest since it counts sacrificing any permanents!
- Death's Presence Could also be interesting to use with Reyhan, or even Tana. It's like Kresh the Bloodbraided 's ability but for creatures you control, although the cmc is a bit high.
- Parallel Lives Would also be good for extra token generation.
- Replace Fungal Plots with Necrogenesis Card draw is nice, but these cards can exile from other people's graveyards. Great card for controlling any reanimator/graveyard shenanigans decks. You seem to have a lot of card draw already.
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician He has a sacrifice outlet, card draw, and a proliferate function, all in one card! He's pretty insane for a deck like yours that generates counters and sacrifice creatures for stuff.
Possible Problem cards:
- Concordant Crossroads A great card, as a wincon. It's a very dangerous card to play if you give your opponents haste too and take more advantage of it than you can. If you can pull it off without your opponents taking too much advantage of it, then more power to you!
- Utopia Mycon I used to run this card too, but it only works for saprolings which became a bit problematic when I had other tokens that weren't saprolings. However you are running Tana as a commander, so it may alleviate the problem I had with it.
- Citanul Hierophants Seems a bit redundant with Cryptolith Rite , but that's just me. There could be other creatures more worth playing for equal or less cmc, like Grismold, the Dreadsower from the new Commander Set! Definitely putting it in my Kresh deck.
- Greater Good It's a very good card if you're getting good draws from killing large creatures. I'm not sure how often you are getting creatures with 4 or more power that isn't your own commander.
- Crop Rotation It's only really good if your playing high power lands like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers or Gaea's Cradle . If you're looking to fix mana, I would add Sakura-Tribe Elder Cultivate and/or Kodama's Reach
So far this what I have as far suggestions go. Let me know what you think!
2 months ago
Using utopia mycorn to power out Tendershoot Dryad feels like a fairly solid idea- but I'd feel more comfortable running this with other 5 drops in that slot, and other tools to power it out. Doubling season is similarly amazing, but due to it being traditionally used to insta-ult plainswalkers, you need to build around it so that it doesn't get outraced/disrupted. I don't feel that the rest of the deck supports that as a plan, and would set it aside for a different list.
I'd look at Mycoloth as additional copies of tendershoot- its a little more vulnerable to disruption, but is strong if it survives your opponents turn. With enough duress variants it should be able to provide value.
Green (x) ramp traditionally runs Arbor Elf / Utopia Sprawl for a very fast start, but B/G usually runs low to the ground creatures- figuring out a balance between creatures to get you to your five drops and spells to protect them will be the battle here.
In terms of saproling tribal cards to glance over, Fungal Plots , Life and Limb , Saproling Migration , Korozda Guildmage Scatter the Seeds , Sporecrown Thallid and combo-favourite Sprout Swarm all exist.
If you are looking at budget and where to spend money in a deck- focus on the manabase. Horizon lands look really strong, fetches always do well, and when you want to play something else they can usually be swapped right across.
4 months ago
4 months ago
I like the deck concept really cool looking deck here are some cards that could help I run a few of these in some of my decks
There are some other ones but that is the major ones i can think off
5 months ago
You have Font of Fertility in your sideboard and Rampant Growth in your maybeboard. I think the best option would be Sakura-Tribe Elder . While it's not a fungus it gives you a chump blocker and since it's a creature you'd be able to search for it with Adventurous Impulse , you would be able to tap it for mana with Song of Freyalise , you'd be able to exile it for a saproling with Fungal Plots , and sacrificing the elder would put a +1/+1 counter on your Rot Shambler .
Fungal Plots occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%