Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Legendary Creature — Eldrazi
When you cast this spell, draw four cards.
Annihilator 4 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices four permanents.)
When Kozilek is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles their graveyard into their library.
|Have (4)||danaran117 , , gildan_bladeborn , sepheroth119|
|Want (5)||GrandeKhan , WillofForce , bladeoathkeeper , jecder , mttgamer|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth Discussion
1 week ago
I had opened with a Spinerock Knoll exiling Dragon Tempest and a Mox Tantalite. Next turn I played a Vesuva, exiling an Utvara Hellkite. On my 3rd turn I topdecked an Ancient Tomb and was fortunate enough to have opened with a Purphoros, God of the Forge so I immediately dropped him into play.
Then we all got wheeled via Wheel of Fortune. Great. Actually, yes quite splendid because I didn't have much else going on.
It sort of became a slugfest of counterspells and the Rakdos player slinging out damage to try and neutralize some of the Planeswalkers Atraxa was dropping. I was just casting Hammer of Purphoros and had literally nothing else going on.
Rakdos' T6, he drops a freaking Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. WOOOOOW...
I tell her that while she can suspend my poor Lathy, this leaves Kozzy online and a big 6/6 Rakdos, Lord of Riots. I tell her that if she could be so kind as to suspend Rakdos, I can handle Kozzy since that's clearly the biggest threat. I explain to her that while Purphoros, God of the Forge can't deal damage to Kozzy, I can churn out enough 5/5 tokens and pump them with Lathliss, Dragon Queen to kill the Rakdos player - thus removing Kozzy via player removal. All I need is for Rakdos, Lord of Riots offline so my Dragons can get through.
And to my surprise, she bought that lie and agrees. Rakdos fizzles out.
Scourge of Valkas sees itself ETB for 3 Dragons, thus 3 damage. But he ALSO sees a 5/5 token ETB for 3 Dragons, thus 3 MOAR damage.
I direct all 6 of this to the Rakdos, Lord of Riots player who was firmly sitting at around 34 life. Hmm... not quite enough to live up to my end of the deal. EXCEPT...
Purphoros sees Utty and a 5/5 token ETB. 4 more global damage to face.
This time, Scourge of Valkas sees an Utty for 5 and a token for 5. 10 damage as I please. All directly toward Rakdos, Lord of Riots who has now sustained 4 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 5 = 24 damage of their 34 life total. Ouchies.
Move to combat, since I have Hammer of Purphoros online. Tap everybody sideways.
- Ooh noes~ it appears I have an Utvara Hellkite with a Scourge of Valkas and a Purphoros, God of the Forge all online together. What eeeever shall I dooo~~
Lathliss, Scourge, Utvara and 2x 5/5s each create a 6/6 for FIVE 6/6s.
Purphoros dishes out 10 global damage and Scourge sees FIVE ETB triggers of 10 damage each.
And we haven't even moved to combat damage, much less blockers ;)
Oopsie doodles, looks like my Lathliss, Dragon Queen deck won on Turn 6. Lololol gg frens
And this is precisely why this deck is my number 1 favorite deck of all time. Does literally every stupid thing I love about Magic: The Gathering in a horrifically efficient manner.
1 month ago
Working on a draw package for you in red:
So…,any of these wheel effects while mainboarding:
Some draw choices in white:
Lord_Grimm on Mizzix
2 months ago
OK! Now we are getting focused!! Last thoughts are as follows: Prismatic Lens to either Talisman of Creativity or Coldsteel Heart - same cost but better color versatility Fiery Emancipation - does not benefit from the experience counter discounts, really only boosts your 6 direct damage spells (not including creatures). Was thinking something different like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in that slot. Since you will be drawing a ton of cards, any mill strategy will only speed up your demise. Having Kozi as a beater that insulates you from getting decked might be solid tech. Solemn Simulacrum - I know, this card was an auto-include staple forever, but in 2 color it feels too slow. No way to really return it or abuse it, and a 2/2 for 4, when you really want to cast your CMDR at 4 feels off tempo and slow. Maybe consider adding whichever rock you didn't choose before when swapping Lens. Now lands... Arch of Orazca is obviously good. My concern is that since you aren't playing a whole lot of permanents getting to 10 to use the draw ability will be arduous and mostly rely on lands to get there. Also, running 18 basics is a healthy number. However, can trim that a bit (I run between 9-12 basics on average, depending on the deck). Adding Karn's Bastion, Castle Vantress, Riverglide Pathway Flip and even Temple of Epiphany would help smooth out utility and color fixing and keep basics accessible.
Lord_Grimm on Mizzix
2 months ago
Def feel the vibe of this deck. It did feel as though it needed to be consistently faster though.
Possible cuts:Arch of Orazca, Frostboil Snarl, Desert of the Mindful, Path of Ancestry, Spirebluff Canal, Sensei's Divining Top, Smashing Success, Fire Servant, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Experimental Overload, Spelltwine, Tidings, Ral, Storm Conduit
Possible adds: Fellwar Stone, Fire Diamond, Lotus Petal, Coldsteel Heart, Talisman of Creativity, Jeska's Will, Mana Geyser, Stormcarved Coast, AEtherize, Mizzix's Mastery, Tezzeret's Gambit, Cyclonic Rift, Archmage Emeritus, Electrostatic Field, Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Snapcaster Mage, Archeomancer, Wandering Archaic Flip, Electrodominance, Narset's Reversal, Chaos Warp, High Tide, Fuel for the Cause, Mindswipe, Steady Progress, Repeated Reverberation, Crackle with Power, Contentious Plan, Banefire, Chain Reaction, Echo of Eons, Primal Amulet Flip, Aetherflux Reservoir, Wayfarer's Bauble, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Riptide Laboratory, Karn's Bastion, Castle Vantress, Mystic Sanctuary, Riverglide Pathway Flip
3 months ago
Just wanna double check I have this right.
I have a few copies of Fiery Encore on the stack.
When I discard an Alchemist's Greeting to Fiery Encore, I have the choice of whether to resolve the Madness cast trigger or the Fiery Encore's reflexive trigger first?
When I discard a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth to Fiery Encore, I have the option to shuffle the graveyard into my library before or after the Fiery Encore trigger resolves?
And, as with spells that have you cast another spell as part of the first spell's resolution (like Baral's Expertise), players can respond and add things to the stack during the resolution of Fiery Encore because it puts new things on the stack to resolve as itself is resolving?
This seems like a bit of a non-question I guess. Basically, is there anything that makes reflexive triggered abilities in spells or abilities notably different from regular triggered abilities?
3 months ago
I'm not sure about the exact sequencing, or the exact outcome. For example: if I cast First Day of Class and use Learn action to discard Kozilek, Butcher of Truth will First Day of Class finish resolving first and go to the graveyard, and then be shuffled into my library, or will the trigger be resolved before First Day of Class is put into the graveyard (and so remain there)?
I am thinking that the spell will fully resolve first, the draw, and go to the graveyard, and then the trigger will be put on the stack, and if it resolves shuffle First Day of Class into my library.
3 months ago
Hey! This is a really fun looking deck! I'd like to make a few suggestions if that is cool:
Strixhaven Stadium: can act as an alternate win con
4 months ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.