Creature — Elf Druid
Whenever you cast a creature spell, draw a card.
|Have (5)||, CompleteWaste , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , gmars , Obsolete|
|Want (3)||AydenValir , Goji , Cool_Cat|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Beast Whisperer Discussion
9 hours ago
Played a bunch today and here is results of changes.
- -1 Apex Devastator to sideboard, moved to sideboard to swap out with blightsteel/eldrazi for newer players
- -1 Temur Sabertooth, removed due to the amount of cardraw available. I feel I would rather draw than bounce.
- +1 Blightsteel Colossus to maindeck, Blightsteel is a counter to my local playgroup. We've got a lifegain deck and one deck running Pariah and Pariah's Shield. Along with Akroma's Memorial and Finale of Devastation this is my nuclear option.
- +1 Bala Ged Sanctuary Flip, land and recurrence is very valuable.
- +1 Mirrorpool, ehh fine seems ok to drop a copy of a big creature that does something,, what's the worst that can happen? :)
- -1 Mana Crypt to maybeboard, don't have one is the only reason. If I can get one,, maybe?
- +1 Jeweled Lotus, replacement for mana crypt... Now let me tell you,, jeweled -> azusa --> lotus cobra --> two fetches --> Tooth and nail.. That was a quick game!
- +1 Maze of Ith, This is at tech, really aggressive in my area! There are some cases it's death to not have an air blocker!
- +1 Petrified Field, Testing it at this time, not sure how to abuse it yet
- +1 Momentous Fall, Does not feel as bad as I initially thought. Use this defensively often times.
- +1 Cryptic Caves, niche card testing it out. Turns your crucibles into three draw for 3 mana + land drops.. 3 mana draw 3 cards... seems decent
- +1 Thespian's Stage, what does it do? answer: yes
- -1 Beast Whisperer, I have enough creatures, but the costs are too high
- +1 Zendikar Resurgent, replacement for beast whisperer, has the potential to double mana while going off
- -1 Guardian Project, same problem as beast whisperer
- +1 Return of the Wildspeaker, another large draw effect to combo off of to replace guardian
- +1 Inkmoth Nexus, bad habits die hard, keeping one in deck for "that guy" at the table.
- -1 Field of the Dead -> maybeboard, only reason I'm taking it out is I don't own it. Dropping it into maybe board
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is here to stay. When you go off with a large draw dropping him is amazing. He will give you enough mana to combo off and finish on the stop at times. He's also a good target for Natural Order.
- After drawing 10 cards and drawing into Rude Awakening,, it has a new place in my heart, seems to be a keeper
- Once I hit 25 basics, I think I can just win the game. The amount of basics should stick between 24-26 and 45 lands in total to facilitate the engines. If we're slightly under half I think we're good.
- Kodama of the East Tree was potentially good enough to combo off a large draw with vorin, need to test this more!
Thinking of Cutting:
- Beacon of Creation --> , requires more testing due to new landbase
Why the sideboard was added:
- Core creatures for swapping on the sideboard are Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Blightsteel Colossus, and Craterhoof Behemoth.
- Each of these creatures fills a different role. voice of hunger is a creature to combo off with on a large draw or to slow down my opponents. Butcher of truth fills your hand then wins by sacing against a single opponent or threating multiple attack if they don't sac a specific permanent (politics yeeehhh). Blightsteel teaches people that lifegain decks don't work against green edh.... craterhoof teaches people that lifegain deck's don't work against green in edh (AZUSA SMASH!!)... please stop playing lifegain decks in edh... Great Distortion draws and controls the game if your ahead.
If I'm playing against my friends then these are great. If we're trying to include someone I will swap them out for cards in the sideboard and leave in a couple.
2 days ago
Did a bit of Brainstorming last night
Potentially Temur Sabertooth might be good in my playgroup due to the amount of removal and ability to setup.
Rude Awakening + Temur Sabertooth + Eternal Witness + 11 mana == infinite mana and bounce/infinite ETB. Temur Sabertooth, plus any of my ETB or cast cards gives a lot of utility including extra draw, recurrence, removal, spot protection from removal.
I think this card is worth a shot with the amount of mana I have available most times. For the sake of theorycrafting we have to try it!! Who knows maybe if I wanted to go the jank route this would make Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Helix Pinnacle or Aetherflux Reservoir viable as a non-attack wincon. Testing needed,, wanted to vorinclex in my collection anyways.
For classic wincons,
For creatures, I feel like I could hold a sideboard of 15 fatties on me and swap them in and they would all feel equally viable. That said Kozilek, Butcher of Truth felt irreplaceable and thus is getting a perm mainboard. Prevents milling, draws cards, threat/wincon, resets my deck, nice with Life from the Loam.
Vorinclex like I've mentioned before accelerates the deck and give me more time. It's more of enabler than a combo piece itself. Potentially Defense of the Heart might work here too if I hadd him. It would also open up potentially a new archtype if I went with Aetherflux Reservoir + Temur Sabertooth.
As for the draw situation, we could build around it or just go with the classics.
Adding Guardian Project to the maybe board along with Beast Whisperer. They're not as "fast" as the other options, but guardian often times is a Harmonize or better and beast whisperer is tutorable draw!
Some classics are: Garruk, Primal Hunter which is a "5 mana draw spell", Shamanic Revelation is another Regal Force that works with tokens! Rishkar's Expertise is another garruk that has a ~70% chance to hit another spell. That percentile is potentially amazing due to the composition of the current deck.
On the fringe for: Zendikar Resurgent, vorinclex slowing down opponent's in that slot feels better as a mana doubler, and I could just play Guardian Project earlier if I was after the draw. This card feels like it's in a weird place. Might turn out to be just an expensive harmonize. Momentous Fall, I don't know how I feel about this yet. Generally it says, 4 mana sac a creature draw 2-6 cards. Feels like a card I would play when I'm ahead, not to get ahead. That said I could say the same for anything else that is not an etb draw, regal, or harmonize.
Next step I guess is to make a couple "Packages" and see how they fit the deck.
1 week ago
Not sure if you know this but minsc x ability allows you to pay 0 and effectively sac creatures. any sort of mob rule effect would be gr8 here.also works really well with creatures that enter with x+1+1 counters but are still 0,0s. Sequence Engine is the best I can find budget wise to do that
Some suggestions that don't exactly replace anything exactly. Champion of Lambholt for unblockable by weenies.Beast Whisperer Guardian Projector some more creature card draw from green. Whisperwood Elemental for boardwipe protection
1 week ago
Ok, to be honest there are only four cards I would remove without being too concerned here: Grizzled Outrider, Sarulf's Packmate, Snarespinner, and Pride of the Perfect. They aren't all bad, they just aren't as good as your other options essentially. When I broke it down, you have a pretty fair amount of each archetype I look for. Not including the four I mentioned above, you have 16 "Ramp" spells, 12 "Interaction" spells, 10 "Draw" spells, and 19 "Raw Value" spells. Not all of these are as efficient as you may want, but each are what I would consider acceptable for sure. One thing I would recommend is looking for additional means of recurring draw, or large draw spells. More cards like Beast Whisperer and Pact of the Serpent. I would also be wary of cards that draw for a death trigger like Twinblade Assassins and Miara, Thorn of the Glade. They are good recurring draw spells, but you really only run one sacrifice outlet with Pyre of Heroes, so you will be relying on your opponents to kill your things for you which isn't ideal. They are still solid options unless you find another card similar to Beast Whisperer which triggers on casting a creature spell. Any time you have a consistent means to keep your hand full is a great time given how many spells you want to be casting each turn and how much mana you will have access to at any given time. I would honestly look at increasing your draw capabilities so you dont empty your hand and just have to sit there playing whatever you draw each turn. Effects like Mind's Eye are good, but slightly worse for you because it isnt also on an elf, so you wont get full value like you will with something like Beast Whisperer. I wrote all the cards down on a sheet of paper to do this, I will throw it in my carrying case so I can give it to you either friday or if i see you before, then. From my earlier recommendations, based on where your deck is currently, I would drop Elves of Deep Shadow and Harvest Season. Both are good cards, but you have plenty of ramp, and most of it is also on an elf which makes it better for you in this list. Tutors (anything that allows you to search your library for a specific card) inherently make a deck more powerful, because you can fetch whatever you need at any given time, so the more of those you include, especially the ones already on elven bodies the more consistently you will hit the cards you really want to see every game. Prime examples would be Elvish Archdruid, Ezuri, Renegade Leader when you get him, and Ruthless Winnower would be the ones that pop up in my mind as amazing cards pretty much every game. Realmwalker would be a really good spell that would fall under the "draw" category because it essentially lets you use the top card of your library as if it were in your hand whenever that card is an elf. I still like Copperhorn Scout and Seedborn Muse here, especially if you do decide to pick up Yeva, Nature's Herald. You dont run many instants, but scout would let you tap down your elves for Lathril's ability your first main phase, you can go to combat swing scout, then untap all your elves and just do it again. Assuming you just do that twice, you drain each opponent for 20 life and gain 20 life yourself. With Seedborn Muse, you can do it at the end of each of your opponents turns, in one rotation of the board, you can drain 30 life and gain 30 life. With Yeva, Nature's Herald you would be able to utilize your land on each opponents turn to cast any green creature spells currently in your hand in addition to tapping them all with Lathril and dealing damage. The synergies that are possible in this deck are somewhat terrifying if I am being honest. Haha. There may come a time when you have to decide if you want to dedicate to combat or tapping with Lathril to really focus the deck down and get it to that next level, but honestly you could make this deck very scary without having to do that. Elves are so good that you can make this at least a 7 on my power scale with a little work (and unfortunately money, elves are a really powerful tribe, and they are popular enough that the good cards for them reflect that in their price). For reference, that is as strong as my Meren of Clan Nel Toth deck and I have spent literal years tuning that one, it is my strongest deck with the exception of my competitive list i built. Haha. Elves are good man.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Beast Whisperer, Rishkar's Expertise and Keeper of Fables are all great ways to draw cards in green. I also think with a landfall deck you should be running at least 4 or 5 more lands. Terra Eternal helps to protect your land creatures. Yasharn, Implacable Earth can get lands into your hand while also shutting down some of your opponents’ strategy. Those are just a few ideas for ya, have fun with the deck. May you draw well…
2 weeks ago
Some Angel Suggestions:
Herald of War (should help speed it up)
Linvala, Keeper of Silence hatebear
Baneslayer Angel (always has been one of my favs)
Some more card draw and ramp
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (you have a lot of triple white)
A good Ramp package that should have you set up well to cast however you want (I use it in my UG list and I can pretty easily Finale of Devastation into a Blightsteel colossus)
Some Control options