Creature — Elf
When Fierce Empath enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 6 or more, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
|Want (3)||Teth , OukenMarzz , futureprimitive|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Fierce Empath occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Fierce Empath Discussion
1 week ago
Jokes aside, what's not to love about this deck? 5-colour Timmy deck peaking an insider joke? Wonderful.
I have to admit, I expected Jegantha, the Wellspring at the helmet, but the Big Old Snake makes perfect sense flavourwise. How about Moraug, Fury of Akoum as an additional Dreadmaw? Also, Fierce Empath and Shamanic Revelation are great value plays for such a deck.
2 weeks ago
Hey, good casual budget version of Omnath. Nice Scroll Rack :)
You could expand on landfall with several other good landfall cards:
- Tireless Tracker: repeatable draw with clues.
- Felidar Retreat: create Cat tokens or make your army huge including Omnath.
- Tatyova, Benthic Druid: repeatable draw.
- Admonition Angel: exile your opponents nonland permanents.
- Emeria Angel: create flying Bird tokens.
Omnath does everything except repeatable draw and that's an area to consider improving on. Tutors can sometimes be better than repeatable draw because with a tutor you get the card right away.
- Fierce Empath: tutor for any 6 CMC or higher creature, he can get any one of your win condition creatures.
- Wargate: tutor for any permanent and put it onto the battlefield, can get an enchantment which is helpful.
- Crop Rotation: sac a Forest to tutor for Command Tower or a Triome to help with color fixing.
Having recursion is helpful in multiplayer Commander because your creatures are going to die and your other cards are going be destroyed.
- Eternal Witness: recur any card in your graveyard.
- Seasons Past: can recur a land as the zero CMC card, good with Valakut Exploration as a way to recur cards put into your graveyard.
- Bala Ged Recovery Flip: recur any card in your graveyard.
Cards that only give a pump to one creature from landfall are subpar because the pump goes away at the end of the turn and you want to give more value out of landfall. Inspired's mana cost is too difficult to make with this manabase especially . The draw 5 is nice, but not for seven mana. Phylath is a budget Avenger of Zendikar, but you have Avenger therefore you don't need to also play Phylath.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Kazandu Mammoth
- Brushfire Elemental
- Skyclave Geopede
- Skyclave Pick-Axe
- Fire Prophecy
- Inspired Ultimatum
- Canyon Jerboa
- Struggle / Survive
- Reshape the Earth
- Phylath, World Sculptor
- Nissa, Genesis Mage
If interested I offer more advice in another comment. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Robobro72: Fierce Empath is probably a permanent fixture of the deck. Sorry for the late response! But yeah, Fierce has been in the deck since its creation and has enables countless wins. It's always had 3 targets, Great Oak Guardian, Regal Force, and Woodland Bellower were the original three. Upon Ashaya's printing, it removed every artifact line in favor of more creature reliance, thus not needed Genesis Hydra loops, and since Genesis Hydra was ideally cast as the hidden 4th 6 cmc creature I slotted in Kogla, the Titan Ape. The Ape comes with his own line, and removal of a lot of relevant threats. It was for a brief period that Fierce Empath actually had 4 targets (Sep 22-Nov 23).
To remain current with the list and ask me questions and get responses closer to real-time join the Discord, we have an enthusiastic community with chibi Yeva emojis!
1 month ago
How has Fierce Empath been performing? I understand Kogla is amazing and regal force has its roles but I'm curious how good it will remain with only 3 targets. I suppose I'm not super familiar with Woodland Bellower lines.
2 months ago
Ok, that clears up the pond much more, thank you.
In that case, some strictly good copy/clone targets include:
- Biovisionary: Simply giggily. No explanation necessary.
- Sphinx Ambassador: Being able to straight up steal creatures from your opponents' libraries for guessing a random creature is fun!
- Woodland Bellower & Fierce Empath: They grab each other, and can grab other creatures! Great for a more "toolbox" utility to your deck!
- Temur Sabertooth & Kogla, the Titan Ape: Stuck with a clone that is just not good enough? Well, these two beasties can reset those etb's!
- Deadeye Navigator & Peregrine Drake: Yes, of course, they combo. yay. However separately, they can be quite useful. Being able to reset Clone targets is always useful to have in the pocket. With the P Drake, you can net mana depending on the clone being used!
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder: She isn't the most mana effective way of drawing cards per se, but the value you can get off of her ETB is just bonkers.
- Frilled Mystic, Mystic Snake, & Venser, Shaper Savant: Beyond being just some nice control on a creature body, Venser can get around those sticky "Cannot be countered" spells!
- Bane of Progress & Reclamation Sage: Simply lovely Enchantment and artifact removal!
- Meteor Golem: need to blow up anything? Golem boi can handle that. (Insert Staples button here)
Let me know if any of these help at all!
2 months ago
There are other cuts to consider as well, but I feel these are the more noteworthy ones....
Ashaya, Soul of the Wild - No direct synergy with Xenagos, you want a beater with evasion or protection
Beast Whisperer - Better in decks that are lower to the ground that can better use it's ability
Brash Taunter - "No synergy with Xenagos"
God-Eternal Rhonas - Better in decks that go wide, this gets easily chump blocked. You rarely have more than 1 creature out at a time
Klothys, God of Destiny - "No synergy with Xenagos"
Leyline Tyrant - Better in red decks, while not recomending it, glorybringer would be better IMO as it acts as removal as well
Phylath, World Sculptor - No synergy with....
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger - Not enough ramp to hard cast, no cheating effects (which wont even give you a cast trigger)
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre - See above
Shadowspear - Meta call? Better to have creatures with trample or more ramp and card draw in this slow
Triumph of the Hordes - Hit or miss. Playing a beater, hoping it survives, casting this next turn and hoping they dont have removal. Ignoring the feelbad of infect
Berserkers' Onslaught - Winmore
Vernal Bloom - Symmetrical ramp which you can't even take full advantage of
Nissa, Who Shakes the World - This is ok, I like the vigilance and getting essentially a 6/6. Rather have something more impactful.
Atarka, World Render - Beater with evasion
Balefire Dragon - Beater with evasion that also destroys decks that go wide
Carnage Tyrant - Beater with protection, evasion and anti-blue. Nice to use a mass draw spell knowing they can't remove the creature in response
Etali, Primal Storm - Not needed, but fun! Lots of value, doesn't require combat damage
Farhaven Elf - Ramp for T4 Xenagos
Fierce Empath - Tutor
Inferno Titan - Removal
Kogla, the Titan Ape - Removal
Malignus - GG target player
Savage Ventmaw - Beater with evasion and helps build tempo
Scourge of the Throne - Destroy people's lifetotal
Shaman of Forgotten Ways - Ramp and potential wincon
Siege Behemoth - Beater with evasion
Somberwald Sage - Ramp
Springbloom Druid - Ramp for T4 Xenagos
Yavimaya Hollow - Protection
Turntimber, Serpentine Wood - Land when you need it, beater when you don't
Dread Statuary - Manland to be used as potential beater or for draw spell
Rishkar's Expertise - Draw + Tempo. Powerful!
Life's Legacy - Draw
Momentous Fall - Similar to above, to be used in response to removal
Berserk - Use on selvala, malignus or even an opposing creature attacking one of your opponents!
Sylvan Library - Nice but not needed
3 months ago
Hey, good start on a budget, several nice upgrades you've made.
Let me introduce you to Quartzwood Crasher and Garruk's Uprising; two powerful budget cards with Ghired that have excellent interaction. Crasher is good with Ghired because it can create huge Dino tokens to populate and these tokens along with Rhinos have trample. You don't even have to attack with Crasher to make a Dino token; any creatures who have trample who do combat damage to a player counts.
Uprising can do a lot for a three drop, but best of all it's a repeatable draw source whenever you create a Rhino. Any creature or token that's 4 or more power will trigger Uprising to draw. It also gives all creatures you control trample which has busted interaction with Crasher since then any creature you control who does combat damage to a player you create a Dino token.
The main area of improvement in the precon is ramp and lands. You've included several good land upgrades, but only 32 lands is not enough land especially because you want five mana to cast Ghired. My advice is go with 36 lands and include at least 12 ramp sources, more early game ramp sources. Cinder Glade is here twice.
Other budget ramp and lands to consider adding:
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Wild Growth
- Faeburrow Elder: can tap for two colors of mana, but if you control a red permanent then it can tap for three colors of mana.
- Nature's Lore: like Farseek it can get a dual land.
- Gruul Signet
- Selesnya Signet
- Boros Signet
- Canopy Vista: so Farseek or Lore can get a dual land white source.
- Rogue's Passage: making Ghired unblockable means he gets to populate and can't be blocked and killed in combat.
- Naya Panorama
- Ash Barrens
I see Eladamri's Call which is an excellent upgrade and this tells me that tutors are fine to play. Other budget tutors to consider adding:
- Fierce Empath: there's many 6 CMC or higher creatures here.
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker: can get Quartzwood Crasher and there's other creatures here with trample.
- Idyllic Tutor: can get Garruk's Uprising or another enchantment.
- Crop Rotation: can get Rogue's Passage or Gavony Township or any other land.
Open the Armory can be a helpful tutor if you add some equipment and aura that can be repeatable protection for Ghired. Lightning Greaves and/or Swiftfoot Boots can give Ghired haste and protect him from opponent's targeted removal. Shield of the Oversoul can protect Ghired with indestructible and give him flying making it safer to attack with him.
I offer more advice about what cards to cut. Would you like more advice?
Good luck with your deck.