Creature — Zombie
Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield tapped.
When Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield, target opponent loses 2 life.
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Geralf's Messenger Discussion
10 hours ago
As i see it you completely lack creatures, especially appropriate creatures:
- If you want to do 8-rack, then go 8-rack, and use creatures that support that strategy. (things like Ensnaring Bridge, or Wall of Limbs... etc.)
- If you want to play zombies, then use discard effects, but focus on zombies.
Your creatures mana curve is WAY too high, from your 15 creatures, there is 4x , and 2x , and 9x . You simply can't cast them, when you need then.
Beside being slow they are mismatched, and weak for their cmc:
Undead Warchief is just plain bad
Rottenheart Ghoul is the same, its too slow to make any real impact, while it has a half decent body, and discard attached to it, at the time you cast it you will look down the barrel of things like Lord of Lineage Flip
Rakdos, Lord of Riots, Abyssal Specter, Mogis, God of Slaughter are not zombies, thus they screw with Diregraf Colossus, which is a superb card, IF IT HAS THE TRIBAL SUPPORT
So i would advise to ditch Mogis, the Specter, Rottenheart ghoul, UNdead warchief, regardless whatever you want this deck to be.
If you want some good zombies here are some:
Blood Scrivener (zombie bob, if you plan to empty your hands, by casting your discard spells)
(Gravecrawler if you want to be agressive)
Walking Corpse & Shambling Ghoul are ok fillers
Butcher Ghoul is a free block, and then a 2/2 body
Relentless Dead & Ghoulraiser can bring brack creatures your opponent managed to remove
Geralf's Messenger he probably needs no introduction
Also you can choose from a whole host of lords that are better than Undead Warchief: Cemetery Reaper; Death Baron; Lord of the Undead; Diregraf Captain
Plus there are some interesting zombies for the sideboard, like Lifebane Zombie, or Yixlid Jailer
11 hours ago
Punk_communizt thank you for the input. I actually took your advice on removing Doom Blade and using Victim of Night. I also removed Pontiff of Blight and went with Geralf's Messenger as it has Undying and auto reduces the life of an opponent upon entering the battlefield. Palace Siege is actually a dual threat that has saved me on a few occasions. It has given me life when whip was unavailable and brought back creatures to my hand when it was necessary. I would be hard pressed to remove that card from this deck. Thanks again for the input.
1 day ago
Im thinking about making a Mike Myers themed deck with a playset of an unkillable creature with a lot of equipment. I don't know what to use for the creature, but at this point my best guess is Geralf's Messenger.
2 days ago
Are you having issues with burn to you, to your creatures, or both? I don't often play black, but I've seen Geralf's Messenger in various places.
I suppose that doesn't answer much of the problem, but I'll keep an eye out for other ideas!
3 days ago
Unveiled this deck yesterday - was surprised at how well it performed - though a lot of that came down to drawing exactly the right cards at the right time. Geralf's Messenger - friggen all-star of this deck. Opponent's don't know what to do, you cant kill him, because hell just come back and be worse. And when hes worse you cant kill him because ill just take the counters off with a bunch of different removal options. Demonlord of Ashmouth is badass too, and played into the strategy of saccing messenger perfectly. I probably wouldn't have done as well if I hadn't drawn into a Nevinyrral's Disk - which cleared a populated board, allowing all my undying creatures to trigger. It was brutal.
Did not draw into Contamination - that card might need to be removed as it just tools the opponent so much. With undying triggers I can essentially lock people out of the game, which I cant imagine would get a positive reaction from the playgroup. Maybe ill use it a few times for lulz, since the card did cost $8... or limit it to a few turns then allow the enchantment to die. Also did not get a chance to use Sengir Autocrat or Hecatomb which is probably the most janky, and bulky combo of all. I could probably get rid of those two things and really focus on undying/persist abilities to the benefit of the deck. Autocrat would be so much better if the tokens hung around after he died.
3 days ago
KaiserChronic -- the good thing with Specter is, he's OFTEN stealing lands (sometimes the land your opponent needed). Even if you don't get to cast anything EVER, he helps with land drops (which then help cast your stolen stuff).. and then the 3 devotion is nice, too.
I played Mono-Black Devotion in Standard for about a year, and LOVED the deck, and really was a huge fan of Nightveil Specter. Even in other formats, it really just seemed like my opponents felt like they HAD to get rid of him, lest he run away with the game.
Geralf's Messenger is really nice, too. I feel like maybe 2-3 Viscera Seers may be good, both to sac Messengers for the win -- and also to help find stuff. If I was going that route tho, I'd probably run Abyssal Persecutor... but I guess that is kinda just going a different direction from what you've got here, lol. :)
Anyway, great deck. Aside from my ramblings here, I def recommend proxying out 2x Bitterblossom and just testing it out. It really can just run away with the game, and its nice to have a few different angles of attack, ya know?
3 days ago
4 days ago
Bile Blight's effect only affects creatures on the battlefield at the time the spell resolves. It doesn't apply to any creatures entering afterwards that may have the same name.
yes, Geralf's Messenger will die due to 0 toughness, however it will come back and stay with a +1/+1 counter.
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Lord of the Undead
- Geralf's Messenger + Rite of Consumption
- Geralf's Messenger + Unearth
- Geralf's Messenger + Gnawing Zombie
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Phyrexian Metamorph + Phyrexian Obliterator
- Bloodghast + Drown in Sorrow + Geralf's Messenger
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Marchesa, the Black Rose
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Demonmail Hauberk + Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite
- Gnawing Zombie + Geralf's Messenger + Lord of the Undead
- Geralf's Messenger + Restoration Angel
- Cloudstone Curio + Geralf's Messenger + Rooftop Storm
- Disciple of Griselbrand + Geralf's Messenger + Thrull Parasite
- Conjurer's Closet + Geralf's Messenger
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Ion Storm + Nantuko Husk
- Geralf's Messenger + Viscera Seer
- Geralf's Messenger + Gravecrawler
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores + Phyrexian Altar
- Cauldron Haze + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Pestilence
- Bloodthrone Vampire + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger + Swamp
- Earthcraft + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite + Phyrexian Altar
- Blasting Station + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger
- Corpsejack Menace + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients