Creature — Zombie
Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield tapped.
When Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield, target opponent loses 2 life.
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (MTGO) Price|
|$2.25||$2.98||$4.53||$5.29||0.79 TIX||1.3 TIX|
|Have (29)||VampireArm , Fro780 , Flacura , Apoptosis , Valentine35 , almerican , jpv , meke , CompleteWaste , NoPantsParade , TheRedMage , TXMetal , theHopp , mcstang1986 , PTsmitty , JundGrixisNayaBantEsper , vishnarg , x754 , swatdog , ZooGambler , Gigglebox , StormBroken , SevynnthDimension , Ashy , jimykid86 , Heffrum , Selcath , Kamae555 , Gameover209X|
|Want (7)||Galdelonian , bananamaniaman , Blindguy , potatofish123 , Boxel , bmodgs , Timocalypse|
Geralf's Messenger Discussion
1 day ago
So I remember when Geralf's Messenger first came out there was a bunch of buzz about how it was the new-and-improved Kitchen Finks, and how much of a bomb-ass card it was. Apparently it was not worth the hype? I havent seen it played in any competitive modern decks, and Im wondering why. Is it the tri-black cost that is too steep to get out t3 reliably, or is there some other reason?
1 day ago
Honestly, I would remove Geralf's Messenger due to the low toughness and because it comes in tapped. Often it's just not going to help you when you're behind and a slow deck like this needs things to help it when it's behind.
I would go +1 scooze, +1 victim of night, +1 inquisition OR thoughtseize.
I would remove batter skull. It's no where near as good now that there's so much stuff kicking around with 5 toughness. I would be tempted to put Obstinate Baloth in your sideboard to compensate.
Bloodghast I'm torn on. He kind of wants to go in an aggro deck. Sure he has attrition elements with his landfall ability but at the same time all he does is swing and just add nothing to the lategadme plan. Like - he's not very scary. I know that the ability to come back often and put pressure on is nice, but at the end of the day it's not guaranteed that you'll trigger landfall AND he only has 2 power so it's not a big deal.
I am interested as to why you only have 2 lili. Repeatable removal is stupid good. No Dark Confidant? You need card advantage here or you will just slowly lose as your threats are dealt with. Damnation? It does as much damage to your late game plan as it does to theirs? Waste of a mainboard slot in my opinion - but fine for the sideboard (though I'm not sure what scares you so much to consider it).
Essentially, I feel like there are elements here pulling in different directions. Bitterblossom and Bloodghast want to swing quickly and pull ahead fast. Phyrexian Obliterator, whilst good is far, far too slow for that plan. Damnation suggests a control plan to go with the obliterator but utterly destroys your early aggression from ghast and blossom tokens. I would rethink this.
2 days ago
It seems imperative that a Smallpox / Life from the Loam deck focuses on control by discard and sacrifice, hence these options should be maximized i.e., 4 Life from the Loam, 4 Smallpox, 3 Raven's Crime, 4-6 Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize and 2+ Liliana of the Veil. A high amount of lands are also required (somewhat reduced by the loams)
I think your deck is getting the creatures right, but is missing out on the Smallpox 'requirements'. Also I'm still a bit worried about the land count. What I really like about the deck is its very aggresive profile.
2 days ago
You should definitively include the Beetle as a 4-of! Here, it would be really great. If we're making it competitive, then I'd put some hand disruption or at least a bit more removals like Geth's Verdict. And the infamous monoblack devotion kings Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger as offers to MTG's gods. If you're willing to make it unbudget, Liliana of the Veil is a powerhouse. ;)
3 days ago
Geralf's Messenger was a great suggestion. Urborg is unnecessary as everything in here is a swamp and it doesn't cause your mama production to increase.
4 days ago
Doom Blade over Unmake.
You really should be maxing out on combo pieces and including more draw for them.
4 days ago
Ok those ideas are interesting, I have noticed since the release of the new command cards it has influenced Modern. Grixis Twin just won the last SCG open for modern and G/R Dragons won the standard event. Collected Company has taken over standard it seems to me. I have been brewing with Gravecrawler Geralf's Messenger , Mind Slash using Gravecrawler to sac for hand disruption and tricky stuff. I do like Thoughtseize as well but im looking for new ways to make my opponent discard. perhaps throw in Waste Not
5 days ago
Is it Modern or Standard? Those are two wildly different formats, so it's important you clarify which one you're building for before you ask for feedback. That said, your list is obviously a Modern one, so here are some thoughts:
The golden rule in Modern is don't play anything with a CMC higher than 3 unless a) it wins you the game right away, like Scapeshift or Splinter Twin, b) it's just too damn good not to play, like Siege Rhino, or c) you're playing control and have already stabilized (usually around turn 5 or 6), so you can play your 4-drop and STILL have open mana/counterspells to protect it. Cards like Liliana Vess, Moan of the Unhallowed, Palace Siege and Zombie Apocalypse fit none of these criteria - in other words, they're just not good enough for Modern, and you should get rid of them in favor of cheaper, faster, more efficient spells. For starters, you want Geralf's Messenger in the main board, not the side. Hand disruption such as Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize is needed to get rid of early threats. Diregraf Ghoul is a good turn 1 play as well.
Your mana base is good except for Orzhov Guildgate - never play lands that ETB tapped in Modern, EVER - and Orzhov Basilica - it's fine as a 1-of, but 3 is way too many! What if your opening hand has only Basilicas for land?
Endless Ranks of the Dead sounds great on paper, but it takes too long to start paying off. You need 4 zombies in the battlefield to get 2 tokens on your next turn - and trust me, with Modern being as removal-heavy as it is, you'll rarely ever get even more than 3 zombies in there, let alone 4.
Play less zombie lords! They're good cards and synergize well with one another, but they're all 3 and 4 drops. You need more 1 and 2-mana creatures to apply early pressure. Start by playing the full 4x Gravecrawler, and maybe getting some Diregraf Ghouls. Oh, and speaking of lords, your list is missing my favorite, Cemetery Reaper, who's strictly better than Death Baron. His ability is great, especially in a mirror match.
Splashing blue isn't worth it. Grimgrin is too clunky, Lich Lord of Unx is terrible, and you don't have anything else with in its mana cost. Stick to B/W only, and replace those SB cards with actual sideboard stuff, i.e. cards that give you an edge against threats you were not initially prepared to deal with. Enchantment hate (Paraselene, Disenchant, Wear, Erase, Patrician's Scorn are the ones that first come to mind), artifact hate (Suppression Field, Stony Silence), burn/discard hate (Leyline of Sanctity) and so on.
|Power / Toughness||3/2|
|Avg. draft pick||1.43|
|Avg. cube pick||10.6|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Geralf's Messenger + Griselbrand + Phyrexian Obliterator
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Rite of Consumption
- Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite + Viscera Seer
- Cauldron Haze + Geralf's Messenger
- Bloodghast + Geralf's Messenger + Gravecrawler
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Sage of Fables
- Geralf's Messenger + Phyrexian Metamorph + Phyrexian Obliterator
- Bloodghast + Drown in Sorrow + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Marchesa, the Black Rose
- Grave Pact + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores + Phyrexian Altar
- Demonmail Hauberk + Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite
- Disciple of Griselbrand + Geralf's Messenger + Thrull Parasite
- Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite + Phyrexian Altar
- Gnawing Zombie + Geralf's Messenger + Lord of the Undead
- Geralf's Messenger + Gnawing Zombie
- Earthcraft + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Restoration Angel
- Geralf's Messenger + Gravecrawler
- Retribution of the Ancients + Geralf's Messenger + Phyrexian Altar
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Conjurer's Closet + Geralf's Messenger
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghoulcaller Gisa
- Abzan Ascendancy + Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Ashnod's Altar + Cytoplast Root-Kin + Geralf's Messenger
- Altar's Reap + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghoulcaller's Chant
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Geralf's Messenger + Hell's Caretaker + Thornbite Staff
- Geralf's Messenger + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Geralf's Messenger + Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger + Swamp
- Geralf's Messenger + Viscera Seer
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar
- Geralf's Messenger + Ion Storm + Nantuko Husk
- Bloodghast + Geralf's Messenger + Lightning Bolt
- Blasting Station + Cauldron Haze + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Pestilence
- Bloodthrone Vampire + Geralf's Messenger
- Bloodthrone Vampire + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Blasting Station + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Geralf's Messenger + Unearth