Creature — Zombie
Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield tapped.
When Geralf's Messenger enters the battlefield, target opponent loses 2 life.
Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Geralf's Messenger Discussion
1 day ago
I was suggesting you take out the Lifebane Zombie as all of the concerns you had about the nighthawk also hit the zombie but the vampire has more upside in the main deck where as the zombie is more of a sideboard card (heck the zombie is chump against Electrolyze )
Also maybe include a Profane Command or 2 somewhere?
With the ability to either hit their face or kill their guy and resurrect either a Phyrexian Obliterator or a gray merchant.
If x=5 you can hit their face for 5 and resurrect a merchant to drain their equal to devotion and sometime that can be a huge swing
3 days ago
5 days ago
I have been using Bone Splinters in my Zombie deck and using it on something with undying (like Geralf's Messenger). That way, you pay one mana to boost your zombie, kill an opposing creature and use any abilities that creature has when it enters the battlefield (in the Messengers case, he deals 2 damage to the face of your opponent).
I like your deck. Its aggressive. I have a deck that you should check out. I would love your input on how to make it a tad more aggressive.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Ghave is one of my favorite Commanders because he's extremely flexible. I'm guessing your deck has a budget focus, so I'll try not to recommend anything too pricey.
I strongly recommend using creatures with Undying and Persist- they're simply too good with Ghave and Ashnod's Altar. Butcher Ghoul and Young Wolf are two that are reasonably easy to cast given your mana base (Geralf's Messenger is amazing, but I don't believe you can float triple black). Kitchen Finks, Woodfall Primus and Puppeteer Clique are also quite strong, though Finks is kind of on the expensive side I cannot possibly recommend it enough.
The reason you want Undying is because you can sacrifice the creature to Ghave to add a counter to something, then pay another mana to remove the counter it came back in with to make a token. Add in any other sacrifice outlet (like Ashnod's Altar, for example) and you have infinite creatures + more.
I would recommend dropping Molimo, Teneb, Dromoka for a few of them. Also, I recommend removing Brutal Hordechief, because he can't be played in Ghave- he has red in his color identity and therefore isn't allowed in a deck that is . Exchanging those slots for Undying will make your deck significantly faster when it comes to token and counter generation.
Also, if you like Cathars' Crusade, check out Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest. He's basically a Crusade that triggers on something dying, of which your deck has tons of access to things that create such a state. I think he would be very strong in your build and you may get more benefit from him than, say, Palace Siege. He's also stupidly good with Persist creatures and manaless sacrifice outlets like Ashnod's Altar.
1 week ago
I would maindeck the zeniths and take out skittles. There is no mana ramp here, so getting a six drop is unlikely. Great deck overall, but I would throw in Geralf's Messenger. Hes a win con with decks with minus counters.
1 week ago
I've easily blasted through Ghostly Prison and other, more effective cards of similar nature before by means of Blood Artist and/or Geralf's Messenger. Another option is to swing with just one well boosted unblockable. I'm seriously tired of people going on about how card x would singlehandedly stop a deck, especially when it's not even true.
As for your suggestion of mainboarding the decays, I've been considering that. There's a reason I keep them in the sideboard, and it's called consistency. Modern is a removal-heavy format, and that is best countered by redundancy and card advantage. Adding potentially superfluous removal is detrimental to that. When I think that the opponent has artifacts or enchantments that put me in danger, then I side it in.
Now, when is card draw not useful? There's nothing situational about my use of Vampiric Rites. Even the fact that it needs a sacrifice does not make it situational in this deck, although it might be decks with less disposable creatures. I agree on the speed issue though, it can be a tad slow sometimes, especially when compared to Altar's Reap, which is the perfect t2 follow-up for a t1 Young Wolf.
1 week ago
This deck looks like a lot of fun! I'm definitely going to sleeve up a version on my own time.
I would advise taking out both Teysas. The big Teysa is well beyond this deck's ability to cast it (7CMC, YIKES) and little Teysa is pretty restrictive, requiring creatures to be white to sac them. I'd replace both of them with something like Viscera Seer, which comes down much earlier, has no restriction to cost, and helps you scry to things that you need.
I'd also recommend cutting one Rally the Ancestors and adding a land in its place. You currently need to hit at least 4 mana consistently in order to have a strong rally, and I just can't see that happening with only 22 lands.
Some other ideas for creatures that would be good to Rally back: Vexing Devil, Butcher Ghoul, Kitchen Finks, Carrier Thrall, Geralf's Messenger, Golgari Thug, Grim Haruspex, Orzhov Pontiff, Pawn of Ulamog, Pyreheart Wolf, Roc Egg, and Toshiro Umezawa.
Hope this helps!
|Power / Toughness||3/2|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Lord of the Undead
- Geralf's Messenger + Rite of Consumption
- Geralf's Messenger + Unearth
- Geralf's Messenger + Gnawing Zombie
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Phyrexian Metamorph + Phyrexian Obliterator
- Bloodghast + Drown in Sorrow + Geralf's Messenger
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Marchesa, the Black Rose
- Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Demonmail Hauberk + Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite
- Gnawing Zombie + Geralf's Messenger + Lord of the Undead
- Geralf's Messenger + Restoration Angel
- Cloudstone Curio + Geralf's Messenger + Rooftop Storm
- Disciple of Griselbrand + Geralf's Messenger + Thrull Parasite
- Conjurer's Closet + Geralf's Messenger
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Ion Storm + Nantuko Husk
- Geralf's Messenger + Viscera Seer
- Geralf's Messenger + Gravecrawler
- Geralf's Messenger + Ghave, Guru of Spores + Phyrexian Altar
- Cauldron Haze + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Pestilence
- Bloodthrone Vampire + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Dark Ritual + Geralf's Messenger + Swamp
- Earthcraft + Geralf's Messenger
- Geralf's Messenger + Hex Parasite + Phyrexian Altar
- Blasting Station + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Geralf's Messenger
- Corpsejack Menace + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients
- Carrion Feeder + Geralf's Messenger + Retribution of the Ancients