|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Rare|
|Premium Deck Series: Slivers (PDS)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Rootbound Crag enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Mountain or a Forest.
: Gain or .
|Have (13)||irongills , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , , Mortiferus_Rosa , STG , PTsmitty , rockleemyhero , goodair , mymanpotsandpans , TheRealSpecialK , Bluboltar , TheAnnihilator , Vasbear1|
|Want (8)||Coconut42 , rodgersm , nan0man , wolfboy193 , Chunkeekong , Timedrqgon , winder487 , silverleinad|
Rootbound Crag Discussion
2 days ago
I think Chandra, Novice Pyromancer isn't very good unless you build the deck around Elemantals specifically. Also, you should definitely put in 4 Rootbound Crag . I can't recommend Light Up the Stage enough in almost any deck in Standard that runs red and doesn't have a lot of draw. Lava Coil should be in sideboard, maybe even one in main.
5 days ago
Hey, SideBae gave you great advice, almost too much ;)
Where to consider starting to make upgrades is the manabase. In my opinion it's the worse part of your current deck. The manabase looks like a budget beginner manabase. Want more good dual lands to go along with the rest of the good cards here. There's many lands to consider adding that are within this deck's budget.
Command Tower is the most played land for multi-colored decks in Commander and for good reason since it can ETB (enter the battlefield) untapped to make any one color of mana that you need. Cinder Glade , Sheltered Thicket and expensive price Stomping Ground are Forest dual lands meaning Nature's Lore , Farseek , Wood Elves and Skyshroud Claim can search for them and put them onto the battlefield. Being able to land ramp with dual lands is very helpful.
The next dual lands to consider are more that can ETB untapped: Karplusan Forest and expensive price Spire Garden . Since playing a lot of basic lands then Rootbound Crag and Game Trail will consistently ETB untapped. Kessig Wolf Run or the less expensive and worse Skarrg, the Rage Pits can give Xenagos or another creature trample.
Some lands that ETB tapped are fine, but these lands need to give you something that's worth it. Raging Ravine is the Gruul creature land and it's good with Xenagos ability to pump a creature. Mosswort Bridge will ETB tapped, but it's hideaway ability is worth it since with Xenagos able to double the power of a creature; getting 10 power worth of creatures is not difficult. Being able to the play the card you hideaway for mana cost is very good.
Lands to consider adding:
- Command Tower
- Cinder Glade
- Sheltered Thicket
- Stomping Ground
- Karplusan Forest
- Spire Garden
- Rootbound Crag
- Game Trail
- Kessig Wolf Run or Skarrg, the Rage Pits
- Raging Ravine
- Mosswort Bridge
Lands to consider cutting:
- 6x Forest
- 3x Mountain
- Naya Panorama
- Temple of Abandon
6 days ago
OK, let us see…
Land creature ratio:
- Try 22 Lands instead of 20 (trust me on this).
- 25 – 26 creatures are just fine.
- 12 – 13 spells.
- Replace Cinder Glade or Rootbound Crag with Game Trail (Since you are on a budget).
- 1x Kessig Wolf Run .
- Add 1x Forest or another Cinder Glade , Rootbound Crag , Game Trail or Kazandu Refuge .
- Daybreak Ranger Flip good card, but usually better as sideboard, whenever you face tons of flyers or when in need for extra removal. I would replace the whole set with Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, faster, cheaper (in both mana and dollars) and helps a lot to keep your hand and board full of wolves. Another budget replacement, could be Gatstaf Shepherd Flip, same cmc, goes for like 20 cents the copy and has intimidate.
- Geier Reach Bandit Flip another pretty good card, but I would just main 2 copies, more than that is usually not great, and this opens space to great finishers like Kruin Outlaw Flip.
- You have a ton of “Lord Effects”, so Reckless Waif Flip might be a good addition, since she has better body than Village Messenger Flip. Maybe tun a mix of both? Also could replace some Bandits to make the deck more aggro.
- Now about Silverfur Partisan . Most people think that you need a bunch of instants to cast on it yourself to justify its inclusion. WRONG! Even though that is a way to make it work, and even thought there a couple of cool combos with Zada, Hedron Grinder , it is not its main role. While in play, the partisan gives you a wolf for EVERY TARGETED WOLF OR WEREWOLF, which means that for every removal spell they cast on your creatures, you get a free replacement, which is great against some heavy removal decks. Remember that Werewolves have 3 main weak points, fliers, removal and mass removal. A great side board card.
- Magma Jet is not good here. I get the scry thing and all, but damage is more important for wolves. The obvious is Lightning Bolt , but usually with the money of just one copy, you can get 4x Lightning Strike or Incinerate or even something like Arc Trail (not recommended).
- Rabid Bite this is a terrible, ugly, and horrible card. Never ever use it! Try Pounce instead.
Hope this helps! Be kind and have fun.
1 week ago
Hey, love the Naya build in Standard. This is my list, it's more legendary matters deck and it runs fairly well. I have the list private so I'll just post it here: Creature (22) 2x Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice 3x Captain Lannery Storm 3x Emmara, Soul of the Accord 1x God-Eternal Oketra 2x Lyra Dawnbringer 3x Shalai, Voice of Plenty 3x Shanna, Sisay's Legacy 3x Tajic, Legion's Edge 2x Trostani Discordant Land (26) 4x Clifftop Retreat 4x Plains 4x Rootbound Crag 4x Sacred Foundry 2x Stomping Ground 4x Sunpetal Grove 4x Temple Garden Artifact (5) 3x The Immortal Sun 2x Weatherlight Sorcery (7) 3x Deafening Clarion 2x Kamahl's Druidic Vow 2x Urza's Ruinous Blast Sideboard (15) 1x Deafening Clarion 3x Justice Strike 1x Kamahl's Druidic Vow 3x Make a Stand 3x Settle the Wreckage 1x Urza's Ruinous Blast 3x Vivien Reid
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
Would you consider using Vivien's Arkbow ? It could aid in consistently pulling the Inferno Hellion from your library. It also seems you are running too many mountains, I would recommend trying it out with only Rootbound Crag and Stomping Ground and the rest being forest.
1 month ago
-I haven't had a chance to test yet without Dragonlord Kolaghan , but I did play 2-3x games where I ended up not even casting her b/c I already had either/both Rhythm of the Wild and/or Temur Ascendancy in play, as the latter especially is a prime tutor target. I felt like with increased consistency in terms of landing specific enchantment pieces that grant haste, I wanted a utility dragon vs another haste enabler.
-I've never not been impressed with Urza's Incubator . Worst case it is incredibly helpful in ramping into casting the commander, and it can discount some/most dragons down to 2-3CMC. With an ETB draw engine like Temur Ascendancy in play, this can lead to some very busted turns/sequencing. With Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma out, suddenly our commander costs only WUBRG, which is flippin' sweet.
-Where my mana splits/curve landed, it is now primarily a Gruul deck with a secondary Black Splash and tertiary Blue and White splashes. As such, a primary fetch target is usually Stomping Ground or Sheltered Thicket , meaning that the other RG duals all then come into play untapped. It is actually harder to guarantee that Cinder Glade will meet its ETB untapped condition than Rootbound Crag in this build/with most lines and with which opening hands you'd want to keep.
-Incidental scry and 5c color fixing from Path of Ancestry has always felt worth it to me, but if anything I could see that slot going back to Exotic Orchard or Forbidden Orchard if I'm ever in a situation where it feels like I'm stumbling. So far, I have been able to find turns for situational ETB tap lands that haven't led to taking a turn off or going off curve, as usually we're going 1 into 3; 2 or 3 into 4 or 5; or 4 or 5 into 7 or 8, so there is an opportunity to deal with limited ETB tapped lands by turns 4-5.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is strictly there to have fetchlands tap for mana if need be/if shut off by effects that prevent their use. It also gives global black fixing so black doesn't have to be prioritized and helps later with double-black requirements in some of our higher curve spells like Patriarch's Bidding and Crux of Fate . It also unlocks our two conditional/creature lands to tap for black ( Cavern of Souls and Haven of the Spirit Dragon . This also helps de-prioritize swamps as a target for fetches/land ramp spells. Basically a lot of upsides to situations/problems that are only fully resolved by Chromatic Lantern , but for the "free" cost of a land slot. I haven't been disappointed by it so far.
I may try your land suite and see how it feels; why are you running 1x Forest and 1x Snow-covered Forest vs 2x Snow-covered Forests, however?
1 month ago
Hmm, I'd like to hear from you how this version performs since I don't want to cut Dragonlord Kolaghan . Also what are your thoughts after playing with Urza's Incubator ? Is this kind of ramp we need?
For land fetching - you have 6 forests and only 2 cards that look specifically for those so I guess that skillful play will fix any problem that would occur. In my build I have both forest duals from BFZ and additional Forest besides 4 forest shocklands and 1 Snow-Covered Forest just in case and to buff a little my chances of having source in opening hand to play dorks.
Lately I'm thinking about cutting lands that ETB tapped so Path of Ancestry might get cut despite being 5-color land and in my opinion you don't need Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for fixing since you aren't going for Cabal Coffers combo or casting intense spells. On a side note, if you have Rootbound Crag and i.e. Watery Grave then you're forced one turn behind when we discussed how early turns actually get us ahead and allow to keep up with stronger decks.
Rootbound Crag occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.71%
All decks: 0.11%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.09%
RG (Gruul): 2.35%
RUG (Temur): 3.07%
BRG (Jund): 1.69%
RGW (Naya): 3.17%