Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Land — Swamp Forest
(: Add or .)
As this enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, this enters the battlefield tapped.
2 weeks ago
I almost feel like this became a thing because of Command Zone, but I'm not entirely sure. And since fetchlands exist in nearly all formats (With Standard coming and going), this is going in General.
If I have out a Misty Rainforest, and perhaps I am playing Sultai, I have many options I can grab. Aside from just the basics of Forest and Island I also have all of the shocklands, Zagoth Triome and anything else that may have those subtypes.
If I do not need my mana, perhaps because I have 3 - 5 MV spells in hand and this is my first land of the game, it would make sense to get Zagoth Triome as it ETB tapped, but I have nothing to spend mana on, so having a tapped land is perfectly fine.
Likewise, if I have no ability or intention to play anything, grabbing a Watery Grave and letting it ETB tapped is fine as well.
Now, you could point out that you can prevent your opponent from having "information". For example, if I elect to grab Overgrown Tomb, I likely will not be able to cast any blue counterspells since I do not have blue mana. This point is regardless of if Tomb is ETB tapped or not. However, it goes back to my original point:
- If you have NO ability or intention to cast a spell, having it ETB tapped is fine.
So, why even wait until an end step? It literally makes zero sense.
The only thing I can think of is "waiting to see how the board develops". Like, oh maybe I need that extra now that Kevin's commander came out, so I can Path to Exile it. However, this can easily be done just by assessing the boardstate and what you have in hand. You don't need to "wait" to understand threats and interactions. Plan ahead.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
- Sol Ring
- Goblin Engineer (It does not really synergize with the combo, it was in to find Zuran Orb but I kind of have enough ways to find it and not enough artifacts to sacrifice.)
- Roil Elemental (It was a cute card but I had to cut one more card for some more consistency and with the amount of tutors I play generally I will always rather have Tatyova or Gitrog Monster which are both tutorable by Bring to Light.)
- Pact of Negation (Pact of Negation is kind of an expensive card and I think I like Pyroblast more, it's mainly to combat counterspells on the second sunrise anyway and Pyroblast has some added utility to it which I think makes it better.)
- Mana Vault
- Overgrown Tomb (Decided I want to run just 3 shock lands, this one might get back into the deck but I opted for others first.)
- Mox Diamond
- Mana Crypt
- Krark-Clan Ironworks (Decided to get rid of the KCI saccing mana rocks before second sunrise plan, it was too convoluted and I want to go for a more land centric deck.)
- Valakut Exploration (This was also one of my other win conditions, and I liked Roil Elemental first above this but decided to cut both.)
- Izzet Chronarch (Got replaced by Timeless Witness.)
- Krosan Wayfarer (Has some early game utility while still being excellend in the Combo.)
- Cosmic Intervention (I somehow overlooked this card but I am really excited to add this as an early game play for value.)
- Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (Uro is already an insane card, it sacrifices itself which is great, it's basically a recurrable Explore with the added bonus of sometimes being a powerful body, I think it will work excellend in the deck.)
- Explore (Both replace my mana rocks for some early mana ramp.)
- Breeding Pool
- Temple Garden
- Hallowed Fountain
- Timeless Witness
- Unbridled Growth (Fixes mana and sacrifices for a card, the other candidate was chromatic star which would also be good but I think Unbridled will have more value as you don't need to sacrifice it to gain it's fixing effect.)
I decided to cut my mana rocks that don't provide a color except for when they have a way to sacrifice themself which also made me cut my KCI from the deck.
2 months ago
Thanks so much for being the first person to comment! LOL made my day :)
So all of my decks are casual decks that also just so happen to be modern, BUT at some point, I do want to enter a tournament just for fun with this deck.
That being said, I currently own one of the three Verdant Catacombs and the one is in my deck right now; eventually, I would like to have the three and that would be the penultimate build for this deck (for now). I want to be able to fetch Woodland Chasm or Overgrown Tomb on an opponent's turn and un-tapping it on my next upkeep to avoid casting a tapped land or a shock land as my land on my own turn.
My playgroup is pretty competitive with each other, so more or less, the deck was originally built to play against my friends but turned into something with a high percentage of winning and I wanted to see how competitive I could make it in a tournament setting.
3 months ago
The Overgrown Tomb for Godless Shrine swap is an interesting thought, not sure how I feel about it. Typically, everything has to be as green as possible, in order to be able to get off a consistent Chord of Calling as close to turn 3 as possible. But maybe you're right, and if the problem is too much green, that may be the perfect solution.
In regards to Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit, I actually really like the backup aggro plan she provides, it was a really solid joint solution on both our parts. I don't think I want to lose that just for an easier mana cost.
3 months ago
4 months ago
multimedia thanks for your comments! I have already added the tango lands to my maybe board except for the GB one because of Overgrown Tomb which I traded for. To replace even more basics, I am thinking about adding MDFC lands from Zendikar (ex Brightclimb Pathway Flip). Perhaps Averna is not worth it.
4 months ago
Any suggestions offered would be contingent on how competitive/expensive you’re trying to make this. Legacy is a brutal, fast paced format with access to many of the most powerful and effective cards in the game. That’s also why it can quickly become exorbitantly expensive.
If this is somewhat budget oriented or more casual in nature, I’d recommend first shoring up your mana base. Lands that enter tapped like Golgari Guildgate and Skyshroud Forest should be the first to go; replacing them with similar cards that don’t enter tapped (Llanowar Wastes/Yavimaya Coast) will speed things up considerably, and are still cheaper alternatives to Tropical Island or Overgrown Tomb.