Creature — Elf
Return a Forest you control to its owner's hand: Untap target creature. Activate this ability only once each turn.
|Have (2)||Forkbeard ,|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Quirion Ranger occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Quirion Ranger Discussion
2 weeks ago
4 mana for even 3 3/3 beast tokens is decent. Your current list already contains Arasta of the Endless Web , and I love that it can help start the loop with Ghost Town if you have the right setup. A couple other token generating spells for surprise factor are Ezuri's Predation , Fresh Meat , and Caller of the Claw .
Dawnglade Regent not necessarily a big finisher, but monarch is another nice way to get card draw and the hexproof for your creatures is nice. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is also nice, but a bit pricey.
The Tireless Tracker clues stick around so they're just there when you have spare mana that you don't want to go to waste which is again better than the one opportunity per landfall with Seer's Sundial and the tracker can get bigger as you sacrifice the clues. I especially like that the tokens trigger Kodama and if the land you put into play can tap for 2 mana you can sac a clue to draw a card which may draw you more land to put into play from Kodama triggers.
Quirion Ranger can help provide a clutch blocker or that one extra mana you need for some spell. I like that it helps you have more land in hand for landfall triggers off of Kodama. Since Ashaya makes your creatures into forests they can tap for mana so they all become targets for Quirion Ranger to untap.
Kamahl’s Will does seem like a decent fit for this deck as a way to go wide and removal. Territorial Scythecat seems okay similar to the running a Managorger Hydra but takes a bit to build up. Shifting Ceratops it has some versatility, but I'm not sure what you want this for in a landfall deck. Primeval Bounty is currently in your list here on tappedout. Branching Evolution not sure your strategy is putting a lot of counters on stuff, more dropping lots of tokens on the fiel. Fertilid synergizes well with Retreat to Kazandu . Garruk's Uprising again I don't think you're usually putting a lot of big creatures into play to benefit from the trigger. Court of Bounty seems better than Colossal Majesty and has an added benefit. Reclamation Sage is great, and I'm also interested in the new 2-drop Masked Vandal since it exiles stuff, and another budget tutor for these low cost utility creatures is Woodland Bellower .
=== other card options ===
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways can be a nice alternate way to win.
- Ancient Greenwarden it's Crucible of Worlds on a body, doubles landfall triggers, and has reach (I like referring to reach as dunking).
- Bramble Sovereign solid value, decent size body, can be used politically.
- Shared Summons solid budget tutor.
- Scapeshift could be game ending if you're getting the right landfall triggers.
- Regal Behemoth monarch and more mana.
- Mana Reflection MOAR MANA!
- Path of Discovery could help dig more land per Kodama trigger if landfall is generating token creatures.
- Blighted Woodland could be better than or just a nice addition to Myriad Landscape
- Greater Good is usually pretty solid card advantage in green especially if someone is about to deal with your commander or big bad or board wipe.
- Fecundity is great card advantage in go wide strategies if your deck runs a hand-full of sac outlets.
- Eldrazi Monument is fun if you can generate enough tokens or animate enough lands, just imagine a bunch of flying elemental forests that are indestructible beating down your opponents.
- Parallel Lives is much pricier than I remember.
- Evolutionary Leap is always a nice kind of card advantage in token decks, but still nice to sac non-tokens if they're about to die anyways.
- Beastmaster Ascension is a nice buff in wide strategies.
- Apex Altisaur could be a useful thing to get with your Magus to wipe out some creatures.
- Force of Vigor another great option for removal.
- Genesis Wave is always a solid way to spend lots of mana.
3 weeks ago
Okay, so I see where you're going with a lot of your suggestions. Budget, at this point, is a constraint so the pricier cards like Cloudstone Curio, Gaea's Cradle, even Sylvan Library are probably a No Go. And I'd probably go with Budgethoof Behemoth, aka End-Raze Forerunners since I have them on hand.
I think, for card draw, I completely forgot about Elemental Bond which definitely feels like a much better option than Colossal Majesty and doesn't have the cast requirement of Beast Whisperer. But I don't see why I can't also use Beast Whisperer. And Regal Force looks like something I need. Seer's Sundial might not work out but something I'm toying with.
Unfortunately I 100% misread Curious Herd and thought it worked exactly like Dockside Extortionist . That said, 4 mana for even 3 3/3 beast tokens doesn't seem horrible, and if that's the floor of the spell, it might be worth keeping in. That said, this is a go wide deck with elements to buff up my creatures, so I may just replace the herd with Arasta of the Endless Web and let my opponents put tokens on my board for me.
I like Magus of the Order, if for no other reason than I have it and Natural Order has a price tag. But also, it's easy enough to drop Liege of the Tangle in favor of other worthy fatties to summon, including something like Dawnglade Regent .
Bow of Nylea can def come out in favor of another creature. The Frostfang can't come out as soon but that's okay! And good call on Roiling Regrowth. That said, Nylea herself I think does so much on her own that I don't see me dropping her in favor of something that only does part of what she does. Rhonas's Monument is definitely worth looking into though!
I'll have to look into more of the suggestions you made. I actually use a lot of them in my Omnath, Locus of the Roil deck (the first three anyway lol). Oracle of Mul Daya is among the pricier cards I probably can't grab right now. I'm hemming and hawing on the Tireless Tracker because I don't know that I'll have a chance to really take advantage of the clues, but to your point, they can trigger Kodama so that's something to consider!
And hmmmm. Quirion Ranger is curious.
I'm also looking at adding some other cards, such as Kamahl’s Will , Territorial Scythecat , Shifting Ceratops , Primeval Bounty , Branching Evolution , Fertilid , Garruk's Uprising , Court of Bounty and Reclamation Sage . So if you have thoughts on those, let me know!
I really appreciate all the insight and feedback!
3 weeks ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
3 weeks ago
Storm is a deck archetype where the idea is to cast a ton of spells in a single turn in order to win that turn. Traditional storm decks are blue and red and use cards that provide excess mana such as Rite of Flame and cantrips like Ponder to dig through their decks to find their win condition which is usually either Grape Shot or Empty the Warrens . In the case of Selvala, Heart of the Wilds (usually called Bro Storm) the idea is to play out the entire deck with a huge Genesis Wave or by turning your creatures into cantrips with cards like Soul of the Harvest and Glimpse of Nature along side big mana generators and large draw spells like Regal Force or Return of the Wildspeaker then attacking for lethal.
It requires seven mana but that is the combo i was speaking of. There was another one but my mind is fried right now from lack of sleep.
1 month ago
Hey, you have some amazing cards here Cradle, Hollow and Shepherd, but then there's all the creature removal spells, Sundail and Majesty, etc. which are subpar. Spells such as Aggressive Instinct don't interact with a Planeswalker Commander and most Elves have low power which is not what you want when you want a creature with high power for removal. Lots of cards that rely on a creature you control to have high power are not what you want with Elves.
My suggestions will be for Elf upgrades and some additional mana sinks to better use the ramp that Elves and Freyalise can make. It's already been suggested, but max out on all the one drop mana Elves as these are unique to Elves and a big reason to want to play the tribe.
- Elvish Mystic --> Aggressive Instinct
- Fyndhorn Elves --> Rabid Bite
- Heritage Druid --> Ram Through
- Boreal Druid --> Clear Shot
- Marwyn, the Nurturer --> Fyndhorn Elder
- Elvish Harbinger --> Drove of Elves
- Numa, Joraga Chieftain --> Elf Replica
- Quirion Ranger --> Ezuri's Archers
- Wirewood Symbiote --> Skyshroud Ranger
- Wirewood Herald --> Naturalize
- Eternal Witness --> Wren's Run Vanquisher
- Llanowar Tribe --> Greenweaver Druid
- Reclamation Sage --> Elvish Scrapper
Harbinger is an Elf tutor. Numa is a mana sink. Marwyn grows when you create a mana Elf with Freyalise. Ranger + Symbiote lets you bounce Ranger + Forest to untap an Elf such as Archdruid to make a lot of green mana. Ezuri and Shepherd are your best mana sinks, but consider others?
- Green Sun's Zenith --> Colossal Majesty
- Leyline of Abundance --> Door of Destinies
- Chord of Calling --> Seer's Sundial
- Craterhoof Behemoth --> Soul's Majesty
Zenith and Chord are tutors to use ramp with that can get Ezuri or Craterhoof or any other creature putting it onto the battlefield.
Some other cards to consider cutting for better options:
- Broken Bond
- Gleeful Sabotage
- Might of the Masses
- Garruk's Uprising
- Desert Twister
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
ImaginitiveRascal I keep putting Scute Swarm and Altar of the Brood in and taking them out. Sometimes they just seem like a win more than a useful combo piece. Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Quirion Ranger are stupidly busted together. I have cryptolith rite in the deck irl, I'll have to go through it and see where I messed up on the list posted here.
3 months ago
I was thinking to add Quirion Ranger but i'm not sure 'cause i fear that focusing so much on Sisay ability is a bit risky.
The idea of the deck is take advange of Captain Sisay but still working without her.
3 months ago
On Ashaya, Soul of the Wild: This card turns Quirion Ranger /Scryb Ranger into forests. They can then return themselves to hand to untap your multi-mana producer. recast and repeat for infinite mana and untaps. This opens up a straight forward T4 win just by casting Yisan on T1 assuming you have enough mana for double verses (Quirion->Scryb->selvala->sabertooth->ashaya == draw your deck, loop TKS).