, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice Verdant Catacombs: Search your library for a Swamp or Forest card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||, lorddarkstar|
|Want (13)||metalmagic , TheLoraxAllMighty , RedCloakedCrow , AlphaRevelation , PenguinVenom228 , OukenMarzz , KnutW , Entrei , ptwooddy , Deviconus , pyr0man99 , Shenko , Darial|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Verdant Catacombs occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Verdant Catacombs Discussion
1 week ago
but you're not actually reaching 50 mana. show me the "exact" line of play that nets you 50 mana. because the line of play you mentioned doesn't even come close, despite sounding like a best case scenario. even if you played a land drop on turn 4, you'd have 4 devotion, meaning your lands could tap for 5 mana (since you need 2 of them to activate nykthos) then you'd have 4 from archdruid, and 3 from heritage druid. so thats 12 mana. where does the other 38 come from?
i don't think Elvish Champion has ever been $20. i actually just looked at the cards price history for a couple different versions of it, and it basically topped at $10.
the shaman is actually not comparable to nykthos for the reasons you stated. a swamp might not get you a turn 1 dork, but thats a poor argument grasping at straws. you'd have fetch lands and dual lands like Verdant Catacombs and Overgrown Tomb, and possibly Llanowar Wastes or the GB pathway (darkbore pathway) from kaldheim. you wouldn't just have forests and swamps. plus it can still come down turn 2. if the cost of the dual lands is too much, then it makes sense to not include shaman. but saying "a swamp doesn't get me a turn 1 dork" isn't quite a valid reason in my opinion. you'd likely only have a single basic swamp in the deck anyway, simply in case someone casts Path to Exile or Assassin's Trophy.
Beast Whisperer and Primal Surge should be cut. there are better creatures to spend 4 mana on, and you'll probably just have an empty hand by the time you draw him if elves did their job to begin with. by the time you have the board presence required to pump out 10 mana for surge, you have the board presence to likely just attack and win. it's a "win more" card in elves.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
2 months ago
Some changes I recommend:
- Rhythm of the Wild (protection and haste or counters)
- Fertilid (elemental that tutors lands)
- Arid Mesa
- Misty Rainforest
- Scalding Tarn
- Verdant Catacombs
I'll let you know which land to replace as you get the fetches. So far the list looks awesome!
2 months ago
So, here are my thoughts about the deck:
Manawise, your landbase should rather consist of lands that come into play untapped. It's important to have your mana available asap. I would suggest replacing karoo lands like Orzhov Basilica and also Opulent Palace with battlelands like Sea of Clouds and painlands Adarkar Wastes. The storage lands are also not ideal (e.g. Dreadship Reef), because they do not provide colored mana at start. And of course the more fetchlands you can add the better, missing Scalding Tarn, Arid Mesa, Verdant Catacombs, Windswept Heath, Wooded Foothills, Flooded Strand, Bloodstained Mire.
I would suggest you to cut even the three remaining creatures and add additional card advantage and lock pieces. Im missing Sylvan Library, Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora... all important ways to get extra cards.
Since your main wincon is the Consultation combos, I suggest you definitely run Thassa's Oracle as a main, cheap combo piece.
Lightning Greaves, boots and Helm are not necessary, since protecting Atraxa should not be such a priority to warrant extra cards for it. Also Mana Tithe, Mana Leak and Opt are not that relevant in a multiplayer format. I would advise to replace them with general, cheap countermagic, for better utility. Dovin's Veto, Delay, Swan Song, Tale's End can serve both to protect your cards and your combo, but also disrupt your opponents from winning.
Also with the amount of manarocks, you could play Winter Orb to stall and buy bit more time for your 'walkers.
2 months ago
You can max out the value of Dryad Arbor by playing some Verdant Catacombs
2 months ago
Llanowar Wastes is a nice dual land, always coming in untapped.
Blooming Marsh is good in the early game, and a dual land.
Woodland Cemetery almost always enters untapped.
Twilight Mire enters untapped and helps you filter mana. (Hence the nickname filter land)
My only suggestions to upgrade the deck outside of the mana base would be to add a sideboard. Just find sideboards from other Golgari decks and use something similar.
+1 from me.