|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Eldrazi
Your opponents can't cast spells with even converted mana costs. (Zero is even.)
Your opponents can't block with creatures with even converted mana costs.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Void Winnower Discussion
3 days ago
I would strictly run odd numbered cmcs on every card in the deck so you never whiff. If you have enough enablers like the aforementioned cantrips, and maybe Sensei's Divining Top, Soothsaying, Spy Network, Portent, etc.. you should have no problem cheating out Void Winnower and whatever else you want. If you get hated on in your group too much for this strategy to work or just can't help cracking fetch lands as soon as you draw them, those are other issues. I personally wouldn't run any even cmc cards to "fix" that situation.
1 week ago
About the best removal package I've found is your sac creatures. You can recur Fleshbag Marauder, Merciless Executioner, and Slum Reaper to keep most people board states clean. Those trying to go wide you already have covered with Massacre Wurm. To be honest, I found the token package a little win-more, I ended up dropping Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Mycoloth, and many more. I don't use the Scions either. I do use Altar of Dementia as it is a free sac outlet, and allows me to mill myself or use it as an alternate win con later with either Nighthowler or Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. You may also consider Greater Good as it allows you to draw and pitch what you don't need or specifically want in the graveyard. Another thing I highly recommend that you don't see very often is Void Winnower it turns off on average half of people's decks, and a lot of times more, my meta in particular is full of powerhouse 3 drops. Hornet Queen actually seems great here though, how is it running for you? I have a nest laying around, but I've never considered picking up the Queen.
Unfortunately piloting Meren is a dangerous game as people are familiar with her as an absolute powerhouse. Haha. A decent Meren deck will destroy many other GOOD decks. The key is to know your group and constantly update your list to fair well in your meta. My meta doesn't run much graveyard hate as I play the only graveyard deck, so I'm not familiar with working around it. Perhaps run a few shuffle effects that allow you to place your graveyard back in your library as opposed to being exiled? You'd have to re-mill everything, but at least you wouldn't lose it.
2 weeks ago
Would suggest taking out the following
1) Planeswalkers: They are not accelerating your overall gameplan and are quite significant mana sinks since Animar only reduces creature costs.
2) Tapped/Bounce Lands: As Animar has a low cmc, having tapped/bounce lands reduces the speed at which you ramp up with mana and play your spells.
3) High devotion to color creatures: Since Animar reduces colorless mana cost, having high color devotion cards like Prime Speaker Zegana which requires 2 Green and Blue is not benefiting from your commander's ability, I suggest taking out cards that require 3-4 colored mana costs unless they are provide significant benefits.
Adding cards like 1) Mana dorks(e.g. Llanowar Elves, Wild Cantor, Beastcaller Savant etc.): Having more mana at your disposal gives you more options per turn. It also also Animar to drop in fast and start growing. Recommend mana dorks up to 2 cmc and preferably providing mana of any color. Beastcaller Savant has haste to tap immediately and provides flexibility in color.
2) Colorless Artifact Creature/Eldrazis (e.g. Ulamog's Crusher, Pathrazer of Ulamog: Since your deck appears to be going for creature beatdown, Eldrazis are your go to for the smackdown. Little to no color devotion and at a significant large Animar (i.e. +10/10), they drop almost for free. Void Winnower can really hurt your opponents since they can;t cast alot spells. Soul of New Phyrexia doubles as a beater and protection.
3) Card Draw/Advantage: Since you are dropping your cards at every turn, you need ways to refill your hand so you can either respond or recover if opponents disrupts your board. Cantrips works ok as they replace card for card but having additional cards draw is paramount in Commander format. Consider Soul of the Harvest, Primordial Sage, Mulldrifter as options to add in.
4) Counterspells: To protect your board once it grows big and fast as well as disrupting your opponents is important. Consider running a few counters depending on your playgroup level.
2 weeks ago
I will fight anyone who builds a Yennet deck that does not include Void Winnower.
3 weeks ago
A lot of your cards are not very impactful, like the Akromas, Najeela, Treacherous Terrain. The other Myojin have powerful effects, like Myojin of Night's Reach, Myojin of Cleansing Fire, and Myojin of Seeing Winds.
Rather than Dread Cacodemon, why not In Garruk's Wake?
Grozoth is a really cool card that lets you tutor all your 9 CMC spells, which you can then cheat into play with Myojin of Life's Web (which is also 9 CMC). Omniscience would let you cast the noncreature spells as well. Iona, Shield of Emeria, Void Winnower, and Nullstone Gargoyle can stop opponents from responding. Rise of the Dark Realms is great after a wipe. Zacama, Primal Calamity is also good for untapping all your lands.
4 weeks ago
The weakest cards after that point are probably meta dependent.
Exploration is purely luck based in your build (Unless your group House Rules Partial Paris Mulligan). When its in your opening hand its fantastic but more often than not its comes down too late to do anything. Deathreap Ritual isn't so great if you primarily play vs 1 or 2 players Herald of Leshrac draws a giagantic target on you vs 2 or more. Aetherworks Marvel probably won't proc very often unless you see a ton of field wipes Void Winnower is good against combo decks and Overseer of the Damned is good against creature and graveyard based decks but both are situational.
1 month ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!