Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner
Legendary Planeswalker — Kiora
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
-1: Untap target permanent.
|Have (2)||Morpho-peleides , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner Discussion
1 week ago
Hey, for a first Commander deck well done. You have some interesting card choices and nice Ur-Dragon, Gnawbone, Utvara and Sarkhan.
An area to consider improving on is repeatable draw. When you can get draw from simply having a Dragon ETB then this can help gameplay. Some budget repeatable draw sources to consider adding:
- Temur Ascendancy
- Dragon's Hoard
- Court of Bounty
- Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner
- Dragonborn Champion
- Garruk's Uprising
Most of these cards give you more than one effect: Temur Ascendancy is also haste enabler, Dragon's Hoard and Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner is also ramp, Court of Bounty can also be cheat a Dragon from your hand onto the battlefield as well as land ramp, Garruk's Uprising also gives all creatures you control trample to break through an opponent's annoying flying Spirit or Angel tokens.
You have Dragon Arch and Quicksilver Amulet which are nice effects to cheat Dragons onto the battlefield, but Court of Bounty is a step above these because it provides other effects. It can be repeatable draw with monarch or lets you play a land from your hand at your upkeep. The monarch is you draw a card at your end step, but only one player in the game can be the monarch. Any player who does combat damage to you or plays a card that makes them the monarch then becomes the monarch and you lose the monarch. You can get it back though and flying Dragons help a lot at attacking as well as blocking for an opponent not to be able to do combat damage to you.
Hellkite Charger is a combo with Old Gnawbone for infinite attacks with Dragons, but if you're playing casual then you might want to avoid a combo like this. I would include it as a win condition with Dragons. There's some budget creature/Dragon upgrades to consider:
- Hellkite Charger
- Scourge of Valkas
- Dragonborn Champion
- Faeburrow Elder
- Tireless Provisioner
- Atarka, World Render
- Silumgar, the Drifting Death
- Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
You have the three staple budget Rainbow lands already: Tower, Orchard and Ancestry which is great, but you could improve the manabase other ways. If you have a low budget for lands then my advice is replace lands that always ETB tapped with a Tri land. A Tri land such as Jungle Shrine also always ETB tapped, but the color fixing it provides, three colors, is worth it. A land such as Swiftwater Cliffs isn't worth it instead consider Frontier Bivouac?
Archway Commons, Gateway Plaza and other lands like this are not good even though they can potentially make one of five colors. You can't play one of them unless you control an untapped land to pay 1 mana and that's a big requirement just be able to play a land.
Some budget land changes to consider:
- Frontier Bivouac --> Gruul Turf
- Crumbling Necropolis --> Swiftwater Cliffs
- Opulent Palace --> Coral Atoll
- Mystic Monastery --> Rustvale Bridge
- Arcane Sanctum --> Mistvault Bridge
- Seaside Citadel --> Quandrix Campus
If interested I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner is illegal in the deck since it's green
1 month ago
Hey, well done on a budget less than $100.
Some budget upgrades to consider then I'll explain some of these suggestions.
- Court of Bounty --> Bounty of the Luxa
- Garruk's Uprising --> Talons of Wildwood
- Fierce Empath --> Explosive Vegetation
- Spawning Kraken --> Pelakka Wurm
- Arcane Signet --> Moss Diamond
- Return of the Wildspeaker --> Rush of Knowledge
- Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner --> Grow from the Ashes
- Growth Spiral --> Beneath the Sands
- Brainstorm --> Ranger's Path
- Rimewood Falls --> Woodland Stream
- Vineglimmer Snarl --> Thornwood Falls
There's lot of ramp here specifically from land ramp spells and Arixthemthes is ramp. You can afford to cut some ramp for more draw and lower mana cost draw such as Brainstorm and Growth Spiral will help to remove slumber counters faster. Court of Bounty can be repeatable draw with the monarch as well as from your hand cheat a sea monster onto the battlefield or put a land. Garruk's Uprising can give all sea monsters trample as well as draw a card whenever a 4 or more power creature you control enters the battlefield (ETB) including creature tokens.
Fierce Empath can tutor for any 6 CMC or higher creature and you can bounce him with Whelming Wave or Crush of Tentacles to cast him again. Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner can untap Arixthemthes as well as be repeatable draw like Garruk's Uprising. Spawning Kraken is an upgrade for a sea monster since it can create it's own army as long as it, Arixthemthes or other sea monsters do combat damage to a player. Rimewood Falls is an upgrade for Woodland Stream so Farseek can search for a Simic dual land.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
3 months ago
Boki92 thanks for the comment! The other "budget" deck that I have listed is mainly the cards that used to be in this one.
1) I'd probably start with this deck and downgrade individual cards that you aren't looking to purchase yet. There are budget versions of most cards on this list. There are loads of cheap dragons, that are still good but a little higher CMC, so I'd replace those first. Then look at what other replacement effects you can have. If you sort my list by "Custom" you should see the categories I've placed them in. To give you an idea of my reasoning, in the removal category I upgraded Sarkhan's Unsealing to Terror of the Peaks just because it's a dragon too so there is more synergy, but it still sits in "Removal"
2) IMHO colour fixing/ramp should be kept but there are budget options. I saw a huge improvement after swapping the usual basic land ramp package for Nature's Lore , Three Visits and Skyshroud Claim because they fetch the Triomes (get Ketria Triome if you are only getting 1) but there are some really good budget options for dual lands with the Forest type, like the Battle Lands and Cycling Duals here: https://www.mtglands.com/subtypes-forest.html. Also The World Tree is excellent so try and keep that.
The core of the deck is really built around Cheap Dragons so, although expensive, cards like Morophon, the Boundless , Urza's Incubator and Herald's Horn are key. The cards in the "Support" category are also pretty budget friendly and you could swap out Kindred Discovery for Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner .
Let me know if you have any questions and if you would like me to checkout your decklist once you add one then just let me know!
Have fun :)
4 months ago
Love the deck, always fun to see some good Dino action!
Unfortunately, as per the rules of commander, Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner isn't legal in a Naya commander deck. Split color pips count as being both colors (ergo counts as being , except for obviously still costing one mana), and you may not have cards outside of your commander's color identity. Although commander is a casual format, so if your playgroup is alright with her then it's ok! Just wanted to make sure you knew ;)
4 months ago
Thanks for the upvotes! I love your decks as well as their presentations. Idk if you need help with mana fixing, but I find Faeburrow Elder and Selvala, Heart of the Wilds work wonders. And if you want more Temur Ascendancy style draw, Garruk's Uprising has very similar utility. Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner too.
Also, it's been awhile since I updated deck pages; can you remind me how to set an image to the background? I have the code to make boxes transparent, but the code I was using before to set background images doesn't seem to work anymore.
4 months ago
- Kin-Tree Invocation + Binding the Old Gods - Boneyard Lurker + Infuse with Vitality - Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner + Moritte of the Frost - Incubation / Incongruity + Quandrix Cultivator - Spellheart Chimera + Prismari Command - Final Payment + Humiliate - Zealous Persecution + Killian, Ink Duelist - Kaya, Bane of the Dead + Closing Statement
- Fleshbag Marauder + Brackish Trudge - Blight-Breath Catoblepas + Sheoldred, Whispering One - Audacious Thief + Unwilling Ingredient - Hagra Constrictor + Tergrid, God of Fright Flip - Blood Beckoning + Go Blank - Murder + Poison the Cup - Lazotep Reaver + Umbral Juke - Herald of the Dreadhorde + Feed the Serpent