Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner
Legendary Planeswalker — Kiora
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
-1: Untap target permanent.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner Discussion
2 days ago
1 week ago
Boki92 thanks for the comment! The other "budget" deck that I have listed is mainly the cards that used to be in this one.
1) I'd probably start with this deck and downgrade individual cards that you aren't looking to purchase yet. There are budget versions of most cards on this list. There are loads of cheap dragons, that are still good but a little higher CMC, so I'd replace those first. Then look at what other replacement effects you can have. If you sort my list by "Custom" you should see the categories I've placed them in. To give you an idea of my reasoning, in the removal category I upgraded Sarkhan's Unsealing to Terror of the Peaks just because it's a dragon too so there is more synergy, but it still sits in "Removal"
2) IMHO colour fixing/ramp should be kept but there are budget options. I saw a huge improvement after swapping the usual basic land ramp package for Nature's Lore , Three Visits and Skyshroud Claim because they fetch the Triomes (get Ketria Triome if you are only getting 1) but there are some really good budget options for dual lands with the Forest type, like the Battle Lands and Cycling Duals here: https://www.mtglands.com/subtypes-forest.html. Also The World Tree is excellent so try and keep that.
The core of the deck is really built around Cheap Dragons so, although expensive, cards like Morophon, the Boundless , Urza's Incubator and Herald's Horn are key. The cards in the "Support" category are also pretty budget friendly and you could swap out Kindred Discovery for Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner .
Let me know if you have any questions and if you would like me to checkout your decklist once you add one then just let me know!
Have fun :)
3 weeks ago
Love the deck, always fun to see some good Dino action!
Unfortunately, as per the rules of commander, Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner isn't legal in a Naya commander deck. Split color pips count as being both colors (ergo counts as being , except for obviously still costing one mana), and you may not have cards outside of your commander's color identity. Although commander is a casual format, so if your playgroup is alright with her then it's ok! Just wanted to make sure you knew ;)
1 month ago
Thanks for the upvotes! I love your decks as well as their presentations. Idk if you need help with mana fixing, but I find Faeburrow Elder and Selvala, Heart of the Wilds work wonders. And if you want more Temur Ascendancy style draw, Garruk's Uprising has very similar utility. Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner too.
Also, it's been awhile since I updated deck pages; can you remind me how to set an image to the background? I have the code to make boxes transparent, but the code I was using before to set background images doesn't seem to work anymore.
1 month ago
- Kin-Tree Invocation + Binding the Old Gods - Boneyard Lurker + Infuse with Vitality - Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner + Moritte of the Frost - Incubation / Incongruity + Quandrix Cultivator - Spellheart Chimera + Prismari Command - Final Payment + Humiliate - Zealous Persecution + Killian, Ink Duelist - Kaya, Bane of the Dead + Closing Statement
- Fleshbag Marauder + Brackish Trudge - Blight-Breath Catoblepas + Sheoldred, Whispering One - Audacious Thief + Unwilling Ingredient - Hagra Constrictor + Tergrid, God of Fright Flip - Blood Beckoning + Go Blank - Murder + Poison the Cup - Lazotep Reaver + Umbral Juke - Herald of the Dreadhorde + Feed the Serpent
1 month ago
But yea I agree that he doesn't work as well with the other Planeswalkers in the deck. The two Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner have actually been very useful even though there is no + ability. I can get it out turn two most times with arbor elf or utopia sprawl and by then it doesn't die as easily because I'm already building an army and able to draw more cards. It also doesn't make me a target like how other Planeswalkers do so that's nice. I also was thinking, out of all of the creatures Heroes' Bane isn't quite as good as the others because of the high mana cost. Its probably better to replace with another piper, toski, or ruric, which has been a surprisingly good counter to noncreature decks. Only issue with ruric so far is that it can be deathtouch blocked pretty easily. Even still that getting rid of a threat so not too bad but not as good as the other two. It would be sad for me to get rid of the ghalta - xenagos combo because that was kind of the inspiration for the whole deck... I'm not exactly sure what about them sticks out as not good as the rest of the deck (can you explain further) but you are the expert here haha. I even had two xenagos because its just a killer to be able to have any creature have double power and haste but I could get rid of one of them for toski or even ant queen. At this point though I feel pretty good about this deck, just small adjustments. A few last cards I was looking at which I feel may make the deck more competitive is Soul of New Phyrexia , Archetype of Endurance or Privileged Position . The former I think is my favorite because while yes the ability costs 5, I normally have that to spare, and if it protects the land or the enchantment making it produce tons, ill take that hit any day. Added bonus is it can be tutored by fierce empath. Arhetype is nice because there is no mana cost for the ability but it only covers creatures and I'm more worried about protecting the lands and enchantments. Privileged position covers everything which is nice...except itself, so basically it just becomes a target for enchantment removal rather than overgrowth (also too much $$). Let me know about my analysis of these but my hearts telling me Soul of New Phyrexia is the way to go. Either way I feel like my friends would get mad at me for using any of these because its kinda the only hole that I can see right now and were all still trying to have a good time but if I want to play outside of my friend group I would want my best chance to win. I was also wondering what is a good way to just play more people. Is there a way to play online with the cards you have IRL somehow? or would I have to seek out live events near me?
1 month ago
Whether Vexing Shusher is better than Destiny Spinner or Prowling Serpopard is largely dependent on what cards you need to get past counterspells and how early you expect your opponents to have counters prepared. In a deck with only a single copy of Primal Surge , it was really important for me to stop sorceries from being countered or it'd sort of be game over. I even included Greenwarden of Murasa as a backup plan since the deck really wants to Surge at all costs. Stopping sorcery counters is something only the Shusher can do out of those 3 cards. If, on the other hand, I was mostly concerned with creatures and enchantments being successfully resolved, The Spinner would probably be sufficient while coming with a bonus activated ability. This assumes that you aren't seeing counterspells on turn 2 though. In that case, you'd obviously prefer that the counter-blocker is itself counter-proof.
If you do decide to add Primal Surge , I would try to limit the number of instants and sorceries you have. Having some is totally fine if they're important for the deck, but every additional non-permanent slightly raises the chance that you're spending 10 mana to do nothing on a Surge. Adventure Awaits is definitely the card I'd cut first since it's not even necessary in the world where you're already drawing a lot of cards off of your creatures' abilities. Next, I think I'd scale back the number of enchant land auras. Most decks I've seen running an Arbor Elf package seem to run 4 enchantments at the highest levels of play and about 8 at the casual level. My deck runs 4, but Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx is essentially acting as another 4 for a total of 8. Stacking too many will get you more mana than is necessary and makes it all the more painful if and when your lands get destroyed. Otherwise, it's hard to say what else I'd cut. I don't think that highly of Heroes' Bane when compared to Primordial Hydra here since it requires another card to gift it trample, but even that seems fine for budget. You'll have to let me know how Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner performs if you decide to pick her up. I can see her being a bundled Garruk's Packleader and Kiora's Follower that I could swap Magus of the Candelabra for. I'm always wary of planeswalkers with no + abilities and haven't had the chance to see if she can prove me wrong.
2 months ago
Removals • Bioessence Hydra - Expensive for the cost and really only can pop if you’re out with a ton of planeswalkers. - Doesn’t truly allow to combo off or put yourself further in a win position • Vryn Wingmare - Just ok. Could levy into stronger creatures. • Martial Coup - An ok board wipe but there’s better ones out there. • Altar of Dementia - Not valid as sacrifice doesn't proc with totem armor • Really Good spread of Lands. Quick pace and some very solid duals that keep up your pace • Dovin Baan - Does not help advance your enchantment Mill objective. • Dovin, Hand of Control - Not great in commander as you have to activate it on your turn • Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner - You’re not hitting with large creatures. Mill is your objective with a subtheme of enchanted/totem creatures • Finest Hour - You’re milling, not attacking. You already should be having fliers anyway.
Suggestions: • Common theme that the deck needs to be built from a behind position. You have an easy commander to keep some BRUTAL pieces alive and well.
• Many of your creatures do not utilize tapping effects (which should be your goal with the commander).
• Will need some life gain enchantments to stay in the game
• Creatures that tap for mana and have totem armor. Easy ramp - Karametra's Acolyte
• More instant or sorcery spells that actually can mill an opponent - Maddening Cacophony
• Absolutely need some mana rocks