Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Strike it Rich
Create a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this: Gain one mana of any colour.")
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
1 month ago
Without any kind of mana-acceleration, I think it is a bad plan to assume a game will last long enough to ever have more than 5 lands in play. This is especially the case for your brew here, which looks like it wants to be playing fast and aggressively. I don't ever see you being able to cast either of Chandra, Flame's Fury or Brass's Bounty, and I don't ever see you getting the ability of Dragonmaster Outcast to trigger. While Chandra, Torch of Defiance does provide some mana, its uses are kindof niche and personally i'd also suggest ditching that, and going to 23 lands.
Sticky Fingers feels like a really bad card, in that your creature is never realistically going to be able to deal combat damage with it, and if you're opponent can kill your creature in response to the cast, you won't even get the draw from it.
Strike it Rich might be a card worth considering to allow for some better early-game setup?
1 month ago
wallisface The plan if I can't win with damage is to deck the opponent, which is something I'm comfortable with. The angel is usually in the most danger right when it comes out, but as the game goes long the lock usually outpaces the opponent's ability to break it.
The deck is not interactive at all, but it can freely ignore anything not relating to removal. And it doesn't just sit for four turns--Glorious End, Chance for Glory, and Angel's Grace can functionally turn a T4 angel into a T3 angel, and it has ramp with Strike it Rich. And once the angel comes out, Glorious End and Pact of Negation become powerful counters, especially if you can stick Pact (or Blacksmith's Skill) on Isochron Scepter.
I'm also worried for the angel's safety--the success of the deck hinges entirely on it. I suppose you've identified some of the challenges of the deck, but I would be curious what specifically you would change to address them.
2 months ago
2 months ago
What do you think of Strike it Rich or other Treasure producers as a setup for the Portal? It might be more consistent.
3 months ago
In that case, I think Goldspan Dragon would be interesting for your deck. It synergizes with Prismari and allows you to get a bit more value off each spell, if you choose to target it with your spell. Plus it allows you to get more value from each Treasure. If you really wanted to lean into that end of it then you can look into Xorn and Strike it Rich as well, but I'm not sure how much you want from Treasures in this deck.
5 months ago
I love the D&D description XD
5 months ago
- Sylan Library can be seen as reorder the top 3 cards + optional pay 4 life for card draw
- Phyrexian Arena can be seen as pay 1 life for card draw
- Black Market Connections can be seen as pay 1/2/3 life for ramp, card draw, ramp+card draw
Your phyrexian tribal deck lacks good ramp or colour fixing (thematic?) in addition to consistent card draw.
The situation in which SL is better than BMC is:
a) I am looking to draw 0 extra cards and reorder the top 3 of my library, and I have no need for ramp/colour fixing
- If we look at these two situations reordering the top 3 of the deck overlaps with Sensei's Divining Top, and this effect isn't great without any synergy at all. If this is valuable to the deck it would make sense to pivot to Herald's Horn to get some free draws but the expected value with only 22 creatures is pretty low. In my version of your list I cut both cards due to the fact we really would rather be spending mana/slots to be drawing bangers than scrying and spinning our wheels.
b) I am looking to pay 8 life to draw 2 cards, and I have no need for ramp/colour fixing
- This deck lacks strong lifegain, we could slot in a Serra Ascendant (would be on theme since atraxa is a fallen angel) but as it stands our health is a valuable resource. How many rounds in a game do we draw 2 extra and pay the 8 life, best case scenario 3 rounds for a total of 6 cards and 24 life. On the other hand with BMC I have never turned down paying 3 life for ramp+1 extra draw. The rate is just so much better, even when comparing to Phyrx arena would I pay 1 extra life for the ability to ramp instead of draw? Yes.
I really like your list and primer but there are some adjustments like SL/SDT that I think could make it more consistent and impactful.
7 months ago
Red has a lot of treasure generating cards now (Treasure tap and sac for any one colored mana) and some of these cards improve that effect.