|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Silence the Believers
Strive - Silence the Believers costs more to cast for each target beyond the first.
Exile any number of target creatures and all Auras attached to them.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||ironax , Pelli , AlucardZain , jstn.mrrtt , twistedmage , buildingadeck , marcus638 , Epidilius , NCN946 , Fineontheoutside , geazykagar , vashaclarens , mziter501 , Wolfninja , Va1mar , Pumpkinking913 , saj0219 , Mortiferus_Rosa , Regulus1010 , TheRealPeaches , bradyofportdetroit , Ashy , Hootiequack , EliGjerdingen , Lindough , Famicomania , Snydog17 , joshw335 , frederiklw|
|Want (7)||Nerubian , adb_slayer , Rose , vaerth , Stryfe_ , kovellen , Melanpiriks|
Silence the Believers Discussion
2 months ago
So here are some suggestions, feel free to accept/ignore them as much as you want :).
1) I think the biggest issue your deck faces is that you are running a lot of cards that aren't terribly impactful in a 40 life, multiplayer format. For example, most of your card draw is either a one-off effect or tied to another spell that doesn't do a whole lot (i.e. Peppersmoke or Brainbite). I'd suggest adding card draw effects which either accumulate you more cards (i.e. Fact or Fiction, Stroke of Genius, etc.) or even better, are repeatable effects (i.e. Greed, Mystic Remora, Bident of Thassa, etc). Repeatable effects are key in EDH.
2) You are using a lot of spaces in your deck for effects that give your creatures evasion. I don't think you really need that much because most of your creatures already have evasive abilities. If you do want to devote some space however, there are much stronger options that you could consider like Whispersilk Cloak, Mask of Riddles, Sword of Feast and Famine and its siblings, Dauthi Embrace, Thassa, God of the Sea, Cloak and Dagger, etc.
3) Here is an obligatory promotion for Cyclonic Rift and Rite of Replication in any blue deck. Also, you probably want to run a couple more board wipes. Decree of Pain, Toxic Deluge, and Black Sun's Zenith are great. You also might want some more ramp. Talisman of Dominance, Sol Ring, Mind Stone, Hedron Archive, and Thaumatic Compass Flip are all really great options.
4) Alongside repeatable effects, flexible cards are extremely powerful in EDH. You are going tribal here, so a card like Vanquisher's Banner would be amazing. It boosts your tribe and provides card draw. Herald's Horn is another option.
5) I think you could be running a stronger removal package as well. Instead of running tap effects, why not just run straight kill spells like Hero's Downfall, Silence the Believers, Vraska's Contempt, Attrition, etc.?
Lastly, I'll leave you with my deck Pocket Sand. Feel free to take ideas from it. It isn't a rogue/faerie tribal deck and it plays a more political game than yours, but it is similar to your deck in that it likes to use small, evasive creatures to out value opponents to eventually win the game.
Good luck deck building! +1
P.S. Some of the cards that I suggested aren't very budget friendly, but there are tons of cheaper replacements that do almost the same thing.
3 months ago
What I'm trying to say is there are certain cards that are hard to deal with like Blightsteel Colossus and withering boon will work in mono black as a good creature removal. Go for the Throat will not work on Blightsteel Colossus.
Silence the Believers will work but it's 4 mana.
3 months ago
Colorless removal like Spine of Ish Sah, Scour from Existence, and Karn Liberated is kind of expensive mana wise but might help. Otherwise I would use edict effects like other people have said. Things like Fleshbag Marauder, Merciless Executioner, Chainer's Edict, Diabolic Edict, etc. Instant speed removal that can hit bruna is also good, stuff like Go for the Throat, Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall, Silence the Believers, etc. Besides that there isn't much you can do about enchantments in mono.
3 months ago
I didn't see Panharmonichron, nor Ulamog.
Potential cuts Show
Archfiend of Depravity - Only really effective against token decks. 5 drops should be more impactful.
Lord of the Void - Costs a lot for an ability dependent on damage. 7 mana should be
Bane of the Living - With no other morph creatures, the morph part will be irrelevant as your group will know what it is. Moreover, you have more efficient kill spells
Marionette Master - Not sure what the purpose of him is, am I missing something?
Forced March - Much better removal (unless token decks are in your meta)
In Garruk's Wake - Much better removal, 9 mana should WIN GAMES, no clear boards.
Silence the Believers - I'm assuming this is the card you would remove for Vraska's Contempt? And 4 mana removal is pretty costly. Even though you can exile and potentially have multiple targets, I find it too costly. I understand your deck has some good ramping in there, but you should have a more efficient kill spell
Curse of Disturbance - Never help your opponents, even if it is a political card.
Let me know what you think of those.
Other cards to consider Show
Imp's Mischief - Let's say you cast your commander for 20 and someone just counterspells. Well GUESS WHAT, they can SHOVE that counterspell into the graveyard because you can use imp's mischief to change the target of the counterspell to imp's mischief, leaving the original spell to resolve. It's also very political, and no one expects the black player to have it. Every black deck should have one to deal with blue. Speaking of blue....
Mana Web - Something to maybe consider depending on how much blue you have in the meta. This with urborg makes opponents think twice between holding up a counterspell or advancing their board state (barring mana rocks and dorks). It's saved me many times.
Bitterblossom - Bodies for defense against early aggro and flying. Also works very well with...
Contamination - Because who needs friends? Also see reassembling skeleton
I'm lit like a christmas tree right now so I hope everything made sense. Let me know what you think
4 months ago
I love Abzan! Here are some suggestions:
1:Improve your creatures
Sylvan Caryatid would be helpful, too.
2:Improve your mana-base
Cut Sandsteppe Citadel.
3:Improve your spells
Replace them with Fatal Push, Thoughtseize, Go for the Throat, Path to Exile, and Dismember or Maelstrom Pulse. Any of these two removal spells should be a playset(4), but all of them are just about the same.
3:Sideboard for Modern
Cut literally everything.
Stony Silence could be useful too.
If you choose to run Go for the Throat, sideboard a third removal option that can hit anything.
Leyline of Sanctity can hose just about any deck.
I couldn't really fit this stuff in without you cutting some other useful stuff, but cards like Kitchen Finks, Dark Confidant, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, or Blind Obedience could worm their way into your deck.
4 months ago
Some cards I don't think pull their weight:
Disturbed Burial, since you're probably pretty happy just making another token instead of having to cast this card, buy it back, then cast the creature AGAIN. That much mana just makes my head hurt.
Bonds of Mortality seems irrelevant with the Grave Pact effects you run since they get around indestructible/hexproof.
Awakening seems nice when only considering your own board state but given mana, your opponents will likely be using it for removal. Asceticism helps to keep your dudes safe but it's not a reliable backup plan.
Waker of the Wilds fits the theme for sure and could make some powerful dudes but it's extremely risky to open your lands up to creature removal. I like the idea of putting +1/+1 counters on things in this deck, I would just recommend not turning lands into creatures. Unfortunately I can't think of any replacements off the top of my head. I'll get back to you if I do.
Additionally, now that I'm paying more attention:
Attune with Aether should just be Traverse the Ulvenwald, it's strictly better since you list exactly 0 cards that interact with energy.
Wear Away could be replaced with Naturalize, or even Deglamer if you face a lot of indestructible artifacts/enchantments.
Silence the Believers seems like it could just be Vraska's Contempt, unless you specifically have trouble with Rancor. And for that matter if your metagame does much graveyard interaction, Leyline of the Void fits your enchantress theme. It might be an appropriate replacement for Tormod's Crypt if you need a cut but crypt is a powerful card on its own.
Speaking of your enchantress theme, and how often creatures seem to be hitting the grave, you could probably make use of Animate Dead, Necromancy, or even Dance of the Dead.
Noosegraf Mob seems like it works great with Dread Return, which is a powerful card on its own that sees legacy play for that reason. Also activates your Grave Pact effects. Might be worth replacing Disturbed Burial with.
Also does your deck ever have problems with mana? 33 lands seems pretty light, and green benefits from having access to the most powerful ramp in the game (other than black's Cabal Coffers and Crypt Ghast), such as Sakura-Tribe Elder and Search for Tomorrow. But hey, if it works, it works.
Final note, I would run Blood Artist and Falkenrath Noble over Zulaport Cutthroat, since they activate more often. In a 4 player game that's 4x the triggers with a Grave Pact :P Hope this helps, best of luck!
JuQ on Pillow Fight!
4 months ago
First thing, commander is a multiplayer game where every player has 40 life, that is a ton of damage to be done. You wont be able to succeed with just a bunch of fast creatures and burn spells to the head of your oponents, you have to be ready for a longer game with bigger creatures and spells than in the 20 life formats.
You need a game plan that synergize with your commander, If you just chose a commander for its colour identity you ahould think again what you wanna play and find a legend that supports that game plan or find a legend you like and build a game plan around it.
With Zurgo you can capitalize in his huge power (you can kill a player by deling him a total of 21 points of combat damage with your commander) and him being indestrutible during. Yo can stuff your deck with a lot of Wrath of God like spells to clear the way during your turn, you can give him some equipments that gives him trample like Loxodon Warhammer or fin some other way to overcome his lack evasion.
Zurgo is quite vulnerable when it's not your turn, some spells to protect him will be needed. Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots were really wise choices, but those are only two cards, I would include some reactions to save Zurgo (Apostle's Blessing, Otherworldly Journey) and some recursion to get him back from the graveyard, every time you cast him from the command zone his cost is increased by 2, so Zurgo's cost will go to 10 in no time.
Most of the removal you included underperforms in commander because creatures are bigger (or at least the ones you care about). To say some of them Death Wind, Gideon's Reproach, Lightning Bolt are not nearly as good in commander as they are in 20 life formats, the most popular removals are stuff like Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Go for the Throat, Murder. But if you are going to use a lot of Wrath of God spells you should only use a few targeted removal spells that exile the creature, if something is surviving your board wipes it's because it is indestructible. If Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile are out of your budget there are cheaper alternatives like Crib Swap or Silence the Believers.
You will want to draw a lot of cards to keep you game on. You are not on the best colours for card draw, but you still have many good options Phyrexian Arena, Underworld Connections, Painful Truths, Syphon Mind and many others (mostly in black).
Finally you need more lands. It depends on the costs and the amount of mana rocks in your deck but usually they run between 35-40. You also need more lands with many colors, it doesn't matter if they are not the top lands, just the common and uncommon that enter tapped are good, specially if your commander is slow like a CMC6, but don't get colour blocked. Command Tower, Nomad Outpost are no brainers.
Those are the basics, after that you will need to playtest and modify your deck to adapt to your meta.
5 months ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.