|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Gem of Becoming
3, T, Sacrifice Gem of Becoming: Search your library for an Island card, a Swamp card, and a Mountain card. Reveal those cards and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Gem of Becoming Discussion
2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to write down all those suggestions.
I did have a lot of Basic lands, I replaced eight of them with Dimir Guildgate, Temple of Deceit, Sunken Hollow, Smoldering Marsh, Temple of Malice, Crumbling Necropolis, Vivid Marsh and Barren Moor. I also cut Mycosynth Wellspring < Gem of Becoming and Manalith < Fellwar Stone which I think are superior.
I followed your advice and replaced a few removals and less good board wipes. Sudden Death < Doom Blade, Consuming Vapors < Dreadbore, Grasp of Darkness < Cemetery Recruitment, Extinguish All Hope < Victimize and In Garruk's Wake < Syphon Flesh.
Still tweaking a few things left and right, let me know what you think. Thanks !
1 month ago
3 months ago
I'm currently looking for upgrades for the Wizards precon deck, so this might help you.
- Panharmonicon only works if you have Inalla, Archmage Ritualist in battlefield, so it might provide only limited use.
- Mirror Gallery makes some of the precon legendary wizards playable, so you might want to look into that.
- Fatespinner might be an useful cheap wizard, though it doesn't provide any utility with Inalla, Archmage Ritualist, but it can be used for other wizard triggers.
- Dualcaster Mage Is pretty good card, which allows you to make 2 copies of an instant/sorcerry.
- Ashnod's Altar and Bloodline Necromancer makes infinite mana combo, so you might want to look into some good mana syncs, like Devil's Play.
- Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation are pretty good, since it makes all your wizards instant speed and allows you to use bounce utility as counters.
- Cyclonic Rift and Vandalblast are some good board clear cards.
- Disciple of Bolas gives good utility with Inalla, Archmage Ritualist.
- Rite of Replication gives good utility with all ETB cards.
- Faerie Harbinger allows you to fish out Puppeteer Clique and Inspired Sprite, even better if you get Mistbind Clique.
- Trophy Mage allows you to fish out two artifacts, which might help you with mana fixing.
- Pit Keeper can give you 2 creatures from your graveyard.
- Aven Fogbringer can help you fight with players that have good ramp.
- Vedalken AEthermage worth it just for the wizardcycling.
- Gem of Becoming is always good choice for grixis deck.
3 months ago
Looking good. I like the gods idea.
A few thoughts:
Alhammarret's Archive costs a lot and doesn't do anything until something else interacts with it. I'd rather see you have Recurring Insight in here, personally. It has better synergy with Kess and is also a cheaper card, dollar-wise. And it will almost always draw you a lot more.
Gem of Becoming is pretty slow for what it does. Wayfarer's Bauble is a great T1 drop, and you can sac it when you need it, especially after holding mana open for instants you don't cast. Burnished Hart is also very good.
Also, what are your sac outlets like Blood Bairn for?
It'll be fun to see how each of our decks play out.
4 months ago
Welcome to Grixis Control! As a lifelong fan of Grixis control I can say you have a pretty decent deck list. However, I do have a few suggestions to offer.
I see you are running Exquisite Blood. Since you run Venser's Journal, I would also suggest running Sanguine Bond as a way to kill your opponents faster. Additionally, I would consider Necropotence for added card advantage and it partners nicely with the journal.
You seem to run a lot of top deck manipulation effects in Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Sleight of Hand and Read the Bones. I would recommend cutting some or all of those for tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Mystical Tutor or even some of the budget friendlier options such as Diabolic Revelation, Diabolic Tutor, and Dark Petition. Tutoring is a lot more effective for control in the commander environment since you are dealing with a 99 card singleton deck. If you want top deck manipulation I would suggest adding Sensei's Divining Top.
Lastly, I have a couple suggestions for your mass and targeted removal. I would definitely add Damnation to the list if it fits the budget. Additionally, Decree of Pain is wonderful in a control build where removal and card advantage are key. With this card you net both. You may also want to consider artifact board removal such as Nevinyrral's Disk and Oblivion Stone. For instant speed single target removal I recommend Terminate, Hero's Downfall and Crosis's Charm for added flexibility.
I hope you enjoy playing Grixis Control!
4 months ago
If you want it to be more thematic then you would definitely want Wit's End. As for the land base, Transguild Promenade can be swapped out for City of Brass or Mana Confluence. Gem of Becoming is also quite thematic if you want to go there
4 months ago
For sure Gem of Becoming. It fits with the theme and is ridiculous with stuff like ABUR Duals, Shocks, etc.
I thank everybody for the help. I could craft this stuff on my own but it helps to talk about it and have multiple minds thinking about it.
4 months ago
If you are looking to ramp up the Bolas deck how about the Gem of Becoming?