Gem of Becoming
3, T, Sacrifice Gem of Becoming: Search your library for an Island card, a Swamp card, and a Mountain card. Reveal those cards and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Gem of Becoming Discussion
4 days ago
6 days ago
I agree with nivmizzet here, go up to 37-38 lands and some more ramp then you should fine. If you want a flavourful way of making sure you make your land drops Gem of Becoming is great. A set of Signets also does wonders.This is my Bolas deck with non budget mana base, it is a bit more controlling, but it has a similar average mana cost. So it might help a bit.: Nicol Bolas
3 weeks ago
There's a printing of Countersquall from the Ajani vs Bolas duel decks that has Bolas in the art and flavor text. Cruel Ultimatum is an absolutely massive spell, and you can get one with artwork with Nicol Bolas in it. Hour of Devastation is a board clear and extremely Bolas-flavored. Dragons of Tarkir's printing of Tormenting Voice has Bolas in it. Wit's End from M13 also has Bolas.
Blood Reckoning, Cower in Fear, Crook of Condemnation, Doomfall, Elder Mastery, Imp's Mischief, Magmaquake, Mastermind's Acquisition, Mindclaw Shaman, Neheb, the Eternal, Rakka Mar, and Soul Manipulation all have flavor text attributed to, or involving Nicol Bolas.
3 months ago
Have you tried edh.rec? Burning Inquiry may be my personal fave for Nek, especially if you can copy it.
3 months ago
Thank you for taking the time to write down all those suggestions.
I did have a lot of Basic lands, I replaced eight of them with Dimir Guildgate, Temple of Deceit, Sunken Hollow, Smoldering Marsh, Temple of Malice, Crumbling Necropolis, Vivid Marsh and Barren Moor. I also cut Mycosynth Wellspring < Gem of Becoming and Manalith < Fellwar Stone which I think are superior.
I followed your advice and replaced a few removals and less good board wipes. Sudden Death < Doom Blade, Consuming Vapors < Dreadbore, Grasp of Darkness < Cemetery Recruitment, Extinguish All Hope < Victimize and In Garruk's Wake < Syphon Flesh.
Still tweaking a few things left and right, let me know what you think. Thanks !
4 months ago
6 months ago
I'm currently looking for upgrades for the Wizards precon deck, so this might help you.
- Panharmonicon only works if you have Inalla, Archmage Ritualist in battlefield, so it might provide only limited use.
- Mirror Gallery makes some of the precon legendary wizards playable, so you might want to look into that.
- Fatespinner might be an useful cheap wizard, though it doesn't provide any utility with Inalla, Archmage Ritualist, but it can be used for other wizard triggers.
- Dualcaster Mage Is pretty good card, which allows you to make 2 copies of an instant/sorcerry.
- Ashnod's Altar and Bloodline Necromancer makes infinite mana combo, so you might want to look into some good mana syncs, like Devil's Play.
- Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation are pretty good, since it makes all your wizards instant speed and allows you to use bounce utility as counters.
- Cyclonic Rift and Vandalblast are some good board clear cards.
- Disciple of Bolas gives good utility with Inalla, Archmage Ritualist.
- Rite of Replication gives good utility with all ETB cards.
- Faerie Harbinger allows you to fish out Puppeteer Clique and Inspired Sprite, even better if you get Mistbind Clique.
- Trophy Mage allows you to fish out two artifacts, which might help you with mana fixing.
- Pit Keeper can give you 2 creatures from your graveyard.
- Aven Fogbringer can help you fight with players that have good ramp.
- Vedalken AEthermage worth it just for the wizardcycling.
- Gem of Becoming is always good choice for grixis deck.
6 months ago
Looking good. I like the gods idea.
A few thoughts:
Alhammarret's Archive costs a lot and doesn't do anything until something else interacts with it. I'd rather see you have Recurring Insight in here, personally. It has better synergy with Kess and is also a cheaper card, dollar-wise. And it will almost always draw you a lot more.
Gem of Becoming is pretty slow for what it does. Wayfarer's Bauble is a great T1 drop, and you can sac it when you need it, especially after holding mana open for instants you don't cast. Burnished Hart is also very good.
Also, what are your sac outlets like Blood Bairn for?
It'll be fun to see how each of our decks play out.