|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Torment of Scarabs
Enchantment — Aura Curse
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, that player loses 3 life unless he or she sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card. "Like a carpet unrolling for their god, the scarabs poured out from the necropolis."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Torment of Scarabs Discussion
1 day ago
Hey tibbgrocc, I appreciate the input! I do love Battle at the Bridge as it scales really well as the game goes on. I've been testing the idea of Cast Down as additional removal because a turn two Steel Leaf Champion is something that is a legitimate possibility at my LGS right now and it can be really hard for me to deal with otherwise. I'm definitely keeping my eye on Battle though, card can do some absolute work on an aggro strategy.
Yeah, Torment of Scarabs is the darling of this deck. It's something that always seems to get overlooked by people playing against it for the first time, I've gotten really good at reminding people about the trigger on their upkeep as a result. The times where I've gotten to slam it on a Control player and then sit back and watch them struggle to keep cards in their hand are especially satisfying.
5 days ago
Again, I'm going to be one of those people who look at Karn, Scion of Urza and just completely disregard the awesomeness of the deck because of the price.
There are more types of cheap and effective card draw whilst working with your exile theme with Mastermind's Acquisition but also being able to have repeated card draw and not just wasting mana on a one time sorcery. I myself would suggest cards like; razaketh, the foulblooded even though its a bit pricey mana wise, it can constantly push into the late game with its "loose 2 search for a card and put it into your hand." Another one could be Torment of Scarabs . It'll constantly push that takedown every turn. 4 mana seems steppe but once it's played, it burns as long as your opponent doesn't have major enchantment removal. I dont know if you would profit from Ifnir Deadlands but it could be okay to throw in, in place of a swamp or two just to create some diversity.
With that said there are others that just popped into my mind and I'd thought I'd share just to get your input. I'm on the fence about Torgaar, Famine Incarnate seeing as you dont run enough creatures to make it worth while but again, i find this deck sometimes coming up short with the late game play. But then again, i might just not be using the card combos and abilities to their fullest extent.
1 week ago
I have been testing out the current deck breakdown and it seems to be working. The early game red-control spells have really made a big difference, with Sweltering Suns doing really well to clear the board if I get in trouble. Using Hour of Devastation I get some great board clears in which forces my opponent to take the damage from Torment of Hailfire. I can often get at least 21 damage through this method. The Torment of Scarabs I just added to help slow down my opponent and I really like the mechanics so far. Any advice on how to streamline the deck is always really appreciated.
x12721 on Black Hand
2 weeks ago
Well, my first suggestion would be to make a sideboard. Howling Golem is something you rarely want to use in Standard, because you're still giving your opponent card advantage. If you're worried about your opponent going in topdeck mode, consider Torment of Scarabs over the Golem. You're also missing the best removal spells available to you (Fatal Push and Vraska's Contempt). While I don't play discard, I do play a pretty strict control deck, if you'd like any ideas.
SCORE: 5 | 4 COMMENTS | 1348 VIEWS | IN 5 FOLDERS
2 weeks ago
I definitely agree with more Apostles, and would also recommend considering Harvester of Souls, Dictate of Erebos, Grave Pact, Merciless Eviction, and Mortify. If you're looking for cuts, I'd start with Ancestral Vengeance, Aspect of Gorgon, Baneful Omen, Shadows of the Past, Torment of Scarabs, AEther Snap, Asphyxiate, Assassin's Blade, and Fated Return.
4 weeks ago
Agree with the Waste Not. Void might be good here, depends on your meta. Quest for the Nihil Stone, Torment of Scarabs, Oppression, and Shrieking Affliction helps with the discarding theme. Night Dealings would be good with Mogis's ability to tutor. The Eldest Reborn would be great when it comes out.
1 month ago
I ended up taking a Negate out for it. The other harder counters have been working just fine. Definitely try the Saga. It's absolutely ridiculous. I also cute countervailing winds for a Torment of Scarabs which I love a lot too in this. So far the few games I've played with it have been a blast!
1 month ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.