Temple of Silence
Temple of Silence enters the battlefield tapped
When Temple of Silence enters the battlefield, scry 1.
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||mcstang1986 , ibraJG84 , warcry02 , REV666 , ZombieFood , RubyStrings , switchkill65 , cryptoplasm , BladeMasta220 , brokendwarf , philktoken8998 , rakdos24 , maR2307 , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (4)||meowCat1234 , bradyofportdetroit , Turtlelover73 , TheRealPeaches|
Temple of Silence Discussion
1 week ago
If you are looking to make improvements but keep it at a budget, I would take out the Shrines in favor of something like Brimaz, King of Oreskos or Secure the Wastes. Sorin, Solemn Visitor is a must include, and I would go down or completely take out Windbrisk Heights for Concealed Courtyard and Shambling Vent, or if you can't obtain those, try Temple of Silence.
1 week ago
I need a replacement for Temple of Silence
2 weeks ago
Alright sounds good. I'll keep my advice to that then.
First things first, let's deal with the basics. The land count of this deck is a couple short of where it should be at given your curve. As you may already know, most decks sit comfortably at around 24 lands, and I think the curve on this deck is going to end up in a spot where 24 is the correct number. The lands, themselves, also could use some retuning, as you seem to be using some very suboptimal choices when there are better ones out there. For example, you are running arcane sanctum, which is effectively a "bad" Orzhov Guildgate in this deck. You could instead be running 4 copies of Concealed Courtyard, which would be a great alternative. If that is not in your budget, then even Scoured Barrens or Temple of Silence are marginally better alternatives.
Additionally, I think Sunscorched Desert doesn't have a real place in the deck. The colorless mana is going to be a severe hindrance to you and dealing one damage isn't going to matter nearly enough. Cradle of the Accursed is also a little mediocre at the cost of not tapping for any colored mana, so I also think it isn't good enough to make the cut. Budget withstanding, I think this is how I'd run the mana if it were up to me, but with still keeping the general base you had:
The main thing to note about this mana base is that it is Swamp-centric. Many of the dual lands require you to have a swamps on the field before they become real duals. Godless Shrine would be great because of this, but its also a little pricy. Let me know what you think of this before we get to anything else.
4 weeks ago
Looks like you're trying to heavily leverage Odric, Lunarch Marshal based on your description. If so, you might want to take advantage of tutor (black has some decent options) to find more ways of getting him and then also getting him back should he die.
Graveyard recursion - sure your opponent may not want to take the 3 life hit for letting something go to your graveyard, but my experience is that opponents will if the creatures worth letting die. Inexpensive recursion includes things like Phyrexian Reclamation to get the cards back in hand. Other spells like Unburial Rites can be great (especially since it has flashback and puts it on to the battlefield). Sun Titan is a monster at recurring low CMC permanents and has vigilance to boot!
Then there are some value creatures you might want to consider:
- Vampire Nighthawk has flying, deathtouch, AND lifelink (to meet your deck goals). He's a low CMC drop, and rarely disappoints me in any game I have him show up in.
- Aerial Responder is another 3 ability creature for low CMC.
- Burnished Hart provides a blocker you can use to block then sacrifice to get lands (2 on to the field tapped!) This is great value in a color that doesn't have loads of mana ramp. And, with a little recursion or an opponent not willing to lose the life you can use him many times.
Then there's draw. Every deck that can have reasonable draw ought to. Sweepers, Draw, Control, etc. aren't uncommon in commander. You need to make sure you've got a plan for keeping that hand restocked. Here's some cards I like to use for this when on a budget in black:
- Ancient Craving
- Night's Whisper
- Read the Bones this is GREAT value for budget play.
- Sign in Blood
- Phyrexian Arena
Building on the earlier recommendation of sweepers, one I always like to include is Merciless Eviction. In your deck choosing creatures probably isn't a great idea, but the ability to exile all artifacts, planeswalkers, or enchantments can definitely come in handy
Another great budget value card I'd recommend is Brave the Sands. In an aggressive deck, and especially one with lots of flying, vigilance is a great ability to have. If your opponent can't block your fliers than being able to swing relentlessly without worrying about your blocking situation is a pretty awesome state to be in.
Other fun things you might want to think about:
- Whip of Erebos - gives everything lifelink and its ability can be nice to bring something back for a turn at an opportune moment.
You might be a bit low on your land count without other ramp or mana rocks to account for it. Armillary Sphere and Wayfarer's Bauble are example artifacts that can help prevent this. Sword of the Animist is another personal favorite in decks that don't have better ramp arsenal. It appears you have Unknown Shores maybe for mana fixing, but if that's the case I'd almost recommend Tainted Field as a better example. There's also Rupture Spire and Transguild Promenade if you want mana fixing although they certainly can slow down your rhythm to account for the costs. Otherwise the next tier of lands I'd recommend start to include things like Temple of Silence and Isolated Chapel
Overall for a first build it's definitely a start. If you want to see a very different take on Athreos feel free to check out my build at Grim Reaper Friends . Hope you can find something helpful out of the suggestions. I love commander as a format and hope that you will too
4 weeks ago
Take out Dragonspeaker Shaman and Dragonlord's Servant.Oros, the Avenger and Voice of All are good, and keep in mind that most successful Kaalia decks are mostly Angels. Good budget lands: Shadowblood Ridge Smoldering Marsh Dragonskull Summit Clifftop Retreat Isolated Chapel Foreboding Ruins Temple of Malice Temple of Silence Temple of Triumph Rocky Tar Pit. The fastlands from Scars of Mirrodin and Kaladesh are also good considerations, and for a bit more money, the Shadowmoor/Eventide filterlands are great.
1 month ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 month ago
Welcome on T/O.
It's a great place with lots of helpful players and interesting decks. A good place to improve your deck.
After reviewing your decklist I have the following land suggestions to add:
Going to 36 lands, looking at your mana curve, is probably a good thing to do.
I did not play with or against Sen myself, so I find it hard to pick a few cards that I shouldn't be playing. Looking at the curve I would cut:
The rest is up to you.
Have fun and if you like to check out my favorite deck, then feel free to visit it here.
2 months ago
Just a bunch of suggestions. I recommend a lot of discarding and field wipes for her.
Kaya, Ghost Assassin - Herald of Anguish - Liliana's Caress - Mardu Charm - Megrim - Myojin of Night's Reach - Pain Magnification - Sangromancer - Scythe Specter - Skull Rend - Nezumi Shortfang - Unnerve - Waste Not - Words of Waste - Tasigur's Cruelty - Painful Quandary - Banshee of the Dread Choir - Bite of the Black Rose - Capital Punishment - Creeping Dread - Entomber Exarch - Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite - Myojin of Cleansing Fire - Day of Judgment - Temple of Silence - Temple of Triumph - Temple of Malice - Go for the Throat - Doom Blade - Mortify - Austere Command - Incendiary Command - Damnation - Wrath of God - Crux of Fate - Deathbringer Regent - Archfiend of Depravity - End Hostilities - Plague Wind - Sublime Exhalation - SUPER METROID - Weathered Wayfarer - Planar Cleansing - Intrepid Hero - Adarkar Valkyrie - Avatar of Woe - Sire Of Insanity - Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - Vault of the Archangel - Liliana of the Dark Realms - Liliana of the Veil - Shared Trauma - Dread Summons - Anger - Filth - Blasphemous Act