|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Golem
Darksteel Colossus is indestructible.
If Darksteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Darksteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||warcry02 , switchkill65 , Nemesis , L4DMalus , Va1mar , Fullmetalmage , angesoir , Mousemke , rakdos24 , Dannyel , Shiromakuro , Azdranax , mziter501|
|Want (6)||Turtlelover73 , acbooster , richardmv , VampSlayer , Candyman949 , rakdos24|
Darksteel Colossus Discussion
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the input!
I am indeed working with a budget. trying to keep it close to $100
When I put this deck together originally, I had Akroma, Angel of Fury, but it burns all of the red I have and it's really just 6 unblockable (give it protection from color) and that, by itself, is not good in my meta.
Since I already play morphs for free with Animar, and their effects are flip costs, not enter costs, so I don't need Dermoplasm
Proteus Machine is a cool card to bluff with, but as this is a morph deck, pretty much everything is a bluff already lol
Honestly, I just put in Myr Superion because I loved the work-around with Animar, but I do want a large colorless creature. Darksteel Colossus Is cheaper and less scary. Won't paint a huge target on my back.
I'm still unclear on what Rogue's Passage will do, besides let an infinite Animar through, which I already do with changing the protection color anyway...
You're right about Ophidian. I've been adding better card draw recently.
Thank you so much for the input! This deck is my pride and joy, and it's so much fun to play.
2 weeks ago
Hey, thanks for the comment!
Cool idea for an Animar deck. Are you working within any budget constraints or anything? I'm surprised not to see Akroma, Angel of Fury. The is rough but not too bad in Animar's colors.
Thousand Winds is pretty much a win con if someone's tapped out. Dwarven Blastminer might be a sideboard card, but being able to pop annoying lands like Rogue's Passage, Maze of Ith or Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and the like on the cheap is amazing.
Proteus Machine can be a good bluff or just a free creature.
Rogue's Passage will help a lot in getting those morphed creatures in when they figure out what you're doing.
The only problem I really see with your deck is a lack of longevity and some lack of cohesion. You're like 75% in on morph, but you've also got some extraneous cards you don't really need to be using, like Ophidian(You're in blue-you'll get better payoff just using a draw spell or something that taps to draw)
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
3 weeks ago
I've playtested your deck a few times to see how it would perform. Biggest problem is that it contains so much expensive to cast stuff, the chance to get some traction in a game's early phase is slim.
In order to improve on that, I'd really add some more land (5-6) to your deck, some more ramp options like Burnished Hart and/or Fire Diamond as well as some cheap options to utilize Purphoros' damaging ability early like Mardu Scout, Young Pyromancer, Dragon Fodder, Krenko's Command and Hordeling Outburst.
In order to make room for all of this, I'd advise you to remove a lot of cards that take a butt-load of mana to cost and aren't that valuable to your strategy anyway like all of the Dragons, Darksteel Colossus, Hazoret the Fervent and Kozilek, Butcher of Truth.
Here's the link to my Purphy deck; hope it helps!
1 month ago
1 month ago
Embrakul is a dead draw--any time you draw her, you are not drawing a useful card worth casting. As such, you do not want more than one copy in the deck. To answer your second question, there are a couple other options for a more budget-friendly replacement.
What makes Emrakul work in this deck is not her obscene power--it's her fourth ability. If you draw her, you can place her back into your library with Tormenting Voice, thus making her available for Indomitable Creativity. The only other Eldrazi with this option are Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre--neither of which are inexpensive (and, since you are not casting the creature, their other abilities are nowhere close to a match to Emrakul).
There are four non-eldrazi options:
Blightsteel Colossus: A little less expensive than the Eldrazi titans, but still a game-winner.
Darksteel Colossus: 11/11 with trample is not bad, though certainty a step down from the previous 4 options.
Guile - great card, not great for this deck.
1 month ago
WalkingIllusion The infect stuff was based on the idea that I can use recurrsion to keep using them to drop infect counters on people and the creatures could just walk in. But I did pull all but Inkmoth nexus (because I can use it with hatred to instakill a player if needed) and a Phyrexian Juggernaut (which would work sweet with Blade of Selves and the Mirage Mirror to take out multiple people at once). Blightsteel Colossus is listed but I'm actually running the Darksteel Colossus instead because Blightsteel colossus is kinda boring to play. I may go back to an infect version but I'm liking the direction this is going now. As for your counterspells suggestion, I need to decide if I'm going with cheap CMC counters or some of the bigger ones.
jpsuchecki So Skeleton Shard is a good idea - need to fig out what to replace. Buried Ruin will go in and replace another land - I also have Academy Ruins which is sweet, but more ways to pull from my graveyard gives me more of an excuse to run Codex Shredder ;) Command Tower - not sure how I didn't add that. And probably Command Beacon too since Vela isn't cheap to cast. Rhystic Study... I.. want to add it... but i always want to add it... but "didja pay yer 1?? didja pay yer 1??" really starts to annoy my local group ;)
1 month ago
Suppose I activate the first ability of Ice Cauldron using Rosheen Meanderer and exiling a non-X spell onto the Cauldron, such as Darksteel Colossus. When I activate the second ability of Ice Cauldron, will the four colorless mana added still retain Rosheen Meanderer's restriction on only being able to be used on X costs?
The closest relevant Gatherer ruling I could think of is a ruling on Doubling Cube, where the mana it produces is free from restriction, but I don't know if that would apply in this situation.