Creature — Avatar
When Molten Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, take control of up to one target creature that player controls until end of turn. Untap those creatures. They have haste until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (27)||the.beanpole , Pelli , Mousemke , Myllyes314 , sonnet666 , Xunfor6iv3nX , , jstn.mrrtt , duff87 , twistedmage , Epidilius , The_Munchkin , Fineontheoutside , CampbellStev , Unlife , mziter501 , Wolfebladeelite , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , philktoken8998 , Swamy , bradyofportdetroit , SoggyGecko , YossarianLives , RedMulligan , thetechzombie , DudeMan1031|
|Want (10)||dontjudgemyusername , Jokulmorder1 , smaps , DeifiedExile , Ellemenopy , Cunningcrow , kovellen , yanfox , samuelianstorm , metlguy|
Molten Primordial Discussion
1 month ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
Hi Crivaro, have you considered Duplicant, Phyrexian Ingester, or Noxious Gearhulk for removal? Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, and Molten Primordial also gain lots of value when copied and with Naban or Panharmonicon. Flamerush Rider can copy your other stuff for even more ETBs, and Worldgorger Dragon can flicker your entire board twice a turn (or as many times as you want with Ashnod's Altar).
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 30 | 8 COMMENTS | 1061 VIEWS | IN 9 FOLDERS
1 month ago
You have two copies of Skyshroud Claim, replace one with Kodama's Reach. Consider replacing the mana dorks and rocks with more land ramp like Harrow, Search for Tomorrow, and Nissa's Pilgrimage. Dowsing Dagger Flip and Sword of the Animist are also helpful. Add Mirari's Wake as well. You might need to increase your land count a bit, maybe 36 lands.
Some of your creature choices seem a bit weird. Thornscape Familiar doesn't help much because most of your deck is green. What are you trying to do with the creatures, go wide or go big? Because Archangel of Thune and Emeria Angel are more for going wide. Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder is probably better than Silverblade Paladin. Emeria Shepherd is helpful if you replace some of the Forests with Plains.
Creatures you could try include Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Blightsteel Colossus, Combustible Gearhulk, Scourge of the Throne, Terastodon, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Xenagos, God of Revels, Gruul Ragebeast, Moldgraf Monstrosity, Molten Primordial, Artisan of Kozilek, and Void Winnower.
1 month ago
Apprentice Necromancer, Doomed Necromancer, Molten Primordial, Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Telemin Performance, Jace's Mindseeker, Mindclaw Shaman, Consuming Aberration, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Infernal Offering, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Sphinx of Uthuun, Civilized Scholar Flip, Dack Fayden, Sword of Body and Mind, Nemesis of Reason, Phyrexian Metamorph
3 months ago
Hey, one way to make this deck faster and more efficient is to increase the amount of ramp. Since Kresh is green, you have lots of sorceries that ramp. I highly recommend Farseek, Nature's Lore, Rampant Growth, and Search for Tomorrow. Sakura-Tribe Elder also adds a +1/+1 counter to Kresh if you draw it later. From Beyond and Sifter of Skulls should generate lots of scions which also grow Kresh when you sacrifice them for mana. The deck basically needs Kresh to be in play, so you need lots of ramp to get him out early. Jet Medallion and Bontu's Monument are not that good because they don't help for a lot of your spells.
Apprentice Necromancer, Disciple of Griselbrand, and Ogre Marauder don't seem very efficient. Ashling, the Extinguisher needs to hit a player for its effect, which can be hard. Savra sort of forces you to play mostly black creatures which can be restrictive. I feel like you don't really need Costly Plunder. Smothering Abomination is great for repeated card draw in this deck, as is Harvester of Souls. Rishkar's Expertise will also draw you lots of cards once Kresh is big.
You could also replace some of your removal spells with creatures that act as removal. Impetuous Devils can kill most creatures while growing Kresh by +6/+6. Avatar of Woe should end up quite cheap to cast in this deck. Gruul Ragebeast makes your big creatures fight their creatures, and even if your stuff dies Kresh grows bigger. Ryusei, the Falling Star is amazing as a boardwipe once Kresh is at least 6/6. Last Laugh works really well with Kresh since he will grow bigger when creatures die and be the only one surviving, but be careful of dying along with the other players.
Champion of Stray Souls and Journey to Eternity Flip are great for bringing creatures back. You can also try Whip of Erebos since the lifesteal is valuable when you're attacking with big creatures. Sepulchral Primordial is great to steal your opponents' dead creatures. Molten Primordial lets you steal the living ones so you can attack and then sacrifice them.
Rite of the Raging Storm grows Kresh by 5/5 on each players turn. Kalonian Hydra seems nice to double the counters from Kresh and Mazirek. You could also consider Pathbreaker Ibex to pump all your other creatures to the size of Kresh. Brawn is good to sacrifice for trample. I feel like Mage Slayer will be overkill most of the time.
You can check out my Kresh deck for more inspiration.
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 6 | 47 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
4 months ago
Thanks for your suggestions griffstick. I looked at Elvish Piper for the first draft of this deck, but I don't usually have that many creatures stuck in hand to play. The way this deck is built most of the creatures synergize with themselves, so they are good when I have multiple of them, but are usually not very powerful even when cheated in.
Deceiver of Form is the main way this deck cheats creatures in without paying mana costs, so it only has to reach 7 or 8 mana most of the time, which happens quite consistently by turn 5 or 6 since there's a good amount of ramp. I don't usually cast the other big creatures but put them back on top of the library for Deceiver to turn all my creatures into copies of that big creature. Defense of the Heart also cheats them in early, and Tooth and Nail is still a 50% discount on 2 creatures that cost 8 mana.
The only other big creature I cast usually is Razaketh, the Foulblooded, which can start sacrificing creatures and paying back the mana by finding mana rocks, Natural Affinity, and Gaea's Cradle, and just set up a win. I only cast Tidespout Tyrant if I have a cheap artifact in hand that I can immediately use to bounce Mana Crypt and produce infinite mana.
The Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Zealous Conscripts combo is a good way to generate an infinite number of creatures, but then having such a strong infinite combo takes away focus from the Deceiver combos in the deck.
Keiga, the Tide Star is definitely on the radar since it works quite well with Deceiver.
I usually win after casting Insurrection so there isn't a need for sac outlets, but I might consider Greater Good since I often make big creatures and need card draw. I did consider Molten Primordial but it's only one mana cheaper than Insurrection and steals a lot fewer creatures.
I should definitely consider Bringer of the Black Dawn since I can cast it for 5 mana and free tutors every turn are pretty good for this deck. The only downside is that having more than one Bringer isn't helpful because each tutor shuffles away the previous one.
4 months ago
Keiga, the Tide Star goes really good with Rite of Replication. Another cool combo with Keiga, the Tide Star is having it in the graveyard and Feldon of the Third Path in play. It gets better with Seedborn Muse allowing you to do it every turn.
You got Alot of really big spells I think you should consider more cheating of mana cost stuff like Quicksilver Amulet, Dragon Arch, Selvala's Stampede, Lure of Prey, Believe, and Hunting Grounds these are good for cheating of mana cost. Now for stealing of stuff. You need Zealous Conscripts and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker combo because some of your tutors that get more then 1 creature. I'd throw in Splinter Twin too that works with Alot of things like Zealous Conscripts, Keiga, the Tide Star, Omnath, Locust of Rage and so on.
So Insurrection is a great way to win the game out of nowhere but it also doubles as removal giving you have the ways to do that. I really like Demonmail Hauberk and Grafted Wargear. But some times its good to be able to instantly sad Your Own stuff in response to someone else. Phyrexian Altar or Food Chain is good for that.
Bringer of the Black Dawn is a good one to cheat in.