|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||None|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Rare|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Uncommon|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Destroy all artifacts. They can't be regenerated.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (6)||, Nebman227 , Splashy , dplerner , richardmv , Big-Foot|
|Want (3)||samuelianstorm , Dadaman11 , philktoken8998|
2 weeks ago
Hey! I just started playing recently and after realizing I wasn't even halfway to finishing my Jund deck, I decided to flesh out a similar Rakdos control deck to yours. I like your list, especially Beseech the Queen which I may very well add to my own deck as a 1 of. It's nice for finding that 3rd or 4th Demigod of Revenge.
I would recommend going up to 2x Crumble to Dust in your sideboard. Without any other land destruction, I feel like you will really want to see this vs Tron and even vs UW control. Another possible alternative is Shatterstorm over By Force. If you like the ability to play it on 2 or 3, maybe try a 1-1 split between the two to see which serves you better when you sideboard it in. Vandalblast or Shattering Spree are options as well, though I understand Shattering Spree isn't the cheapest of cards. That being said, being able to pay just 1 to destroy 1 artifact is nice.
One last suggestion is depending on your meta, adding in a 1x or 2x Devour Flesh to your mainboard might be alright vs something like Death's Shadow and it's alright vs boggles until they get out Leyline of Sanctity as well. You can always slot it out if you don't need it in the matchup, or use it on yourself for the life gain in the most dire of situations.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Thanks much, though I have to confess it's not a total homebrew ... Ponza's no Tier 1 of course, but it can periodically spike a major tournament (e.g., this year so far we've had #15/454 at SCG Open Richmond, #6/151 at SCG Modern Classic Atlanta, #1/547 in Modern at SCG Invitational Roanake, #9/847 at SCG Open Dallas-Ft Worth, and #15/904 at SCG Open Indianapolis), and I've been heavily influenced by the brewers and pilots of those decks.
It's also deceptively fast ... ignoring mulligans and opponent interaction, we have 3 mana on T2 ~60% of them time, 4 mana on T2 ~15% of the time, and 6 or more on T3 ~10% of the time. Sure there are plenty of much slower games, but the look on opponents' faces after Turn 2 Land Destruction and Turn 3 Inferno Titan makes all the slower games worthwhile!
I had totally forgotten about Feed the Clan; thanks much! Also, thanks for the thoughts on Shatterstorm vs. Hellkite Tyrant. I've been considering upping my Lightning Bolt count because of UR Storm ... with your inputs I will go ahead and do so.
Thanks again, and good luck to you as well!
3 weeks ago
First off, I'm impressed at how well you've done with a non-meta, jank homebrew list, it looks very slow for modern but not with mana dorks and the like!
I play both decks you asked about, you're right to be running Ancient Grudge vs affinity, some alternatives or additional hate for artifacts
Thats about all you can do vs affinity in gruul colors, destroy artifacts and/or creatures
Both decks are bad matchups for you because they outspeed you by a lot, and unfortunately most of the hoser spells are in white, i.e.
As far as burn, theres not much you can do outside of leyline to prevent a Lightning Bolt in your face, you CAN however try and stabilize with cards like Feed the Clan or Obstinate Baloth, Kitchen Finks, the latter 2 which you already have plus thragtusk
especially if the burn player doesnt have access to green, where they would respond with Atarka's Command to stop the lifegain, so take care if the burn player has RG open
I feel like Shatterstorm would perform better in this deck, since you dont have to wait a turn to steel artifacts and it usuallu sweeps nearly their entire board, plus its cheaper on mana and can be cast turn 3 with a mana dork, which is usually when affinity is all in if they havent won yet
You should definitely run 4 Lightning Bolt and maybe a Searing Blaze and/or Searing Blood, since all 3 can kill an Inkmoth Nexus equipped with Cranial Plating that would otherwise be lethal, as well as major burn threats like Eidolon of the Great Revel, good ol' goblin guide and monastery swiftspear, and you can wait until they declare attacks to answer the creatures
But yea, a slower homebrew is going to have trouble with top 5 aggro decks, hope that helps your matchups against them!
Best of luck next modern tournament
3 weeks ago
Blood Artist is one of the best vampires ever printed! Id recommend 4 of them
Bloodghast is an early game attacker that seldom dies for long and is a late game BEAST
Blade of the Bloodchief at least 2 of these is essential for competitive vampires
Olivia, Mobilized for War haste outlet
Lastly, Vampire Nocturnus is a SCARY finisher if not removed by your opponent
Cavern of Souls no more countering vamps
Fatal Push kill spell
Blood Moon mess with opponents lands
Rain of Gore anti-lifegain
+1 from me! I used to run modern vamps and rhe creature base looks similar, just took it out of storage to look for suggestions on what you dont already run :)
mucho bueno seor
1 month ago
Builder's Bane, By Force, and Shatterstorm are good, Indomitable Creativity is a little more expensive but has good flavor for your deck cuz you can destroy your tokens to get real creatures. Release the Gremlins is similar flavorwise and lets you destroy other people's stuff and still benefit.
My favorite card, although it's weirdly conditional so best with big boards, is Decimate
1 month ago
I'm also considering bringing in maybe 1 more tutor & maybe some yard hate for the decks who rely too heavy on recursion.
1 month ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth