|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Mythic Rare|
|Worldwake (WWK)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Legendary Creature — Kraken
Whenever Wrexial, the Risen Deep deals combat damage to a player, you may cast target instant or sorcery card from that player's graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||bradyofportdetroit , Dr.Jackel , Lindough , FoamEagle , MrCrazzyc , machiavelli2081 , Ferritt , Supremespeed , , gildan_bladeborn , SketchyScribbler , Pelli , Forkbeard , mziter501 , spike1395 , Justinaut , TheRealPeaches , Azdranax|
|Want (3)||Psycheretic , VampSlayer , mlouden03|
Wrexial, the Risen Deep Discussion
3 weeks ago
You certainly could do that with Oona. So the only thing I feel like you are sure of is you want UB which is a very fun color combination. Some wincons for this color combo are mill, aggro, control and voltron.
Mill is pretty straight forward. Oona is great for this. Normally this is considered to be a weak strategy in commander and people are not wrong in that assertion but it can be downright devastating against non-graveyard decks.
Aggro is a bit weird in commander since you need 40 damage to multiple opponents asap. It isn't easy but UB has a ton of unblockable. The result here is that people need to use all their board wipes and spot removal on dumb things like Inkfathom Infiltrator.
Control is what you already have going here. Again I'm not a fan of the guy but Dralnu works for this. I would definitely contact someone that uses him on this website if you want to use him. Other good control commanders are Circu, Dimir Lobotomist, Taigam, Sidisi's Hand, or Dragonlord Silumgar.
Voltron really depends on the commander. Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, and Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker can all work really well for this. This tends to be a weaker strategy.
But my #1 suggestion is just to look at the different legends here https://edhrec.com/commanders/ub and pick the one you like the look and feel of. Most important in commander is that you have fun playing the deck which means enjoying the look of it and enjoying how it plays.
1 month ago
I'm currently procrastinating, so I have more suggestions.
- Drift of Phantasms - A flying wall that can alternatively tutor for any 3 mana card
- Fog Bank - Not indestructible, but perhaps call it impervious
- Glyph of Delusion - Seems good in a deck with a lot of walls
- Glyph of Doom - A 1 mana Murder
- Hightide Hermit - Crab crab crab
- Oona's Gatewarden - 1 mana, flying, wither. And she's sassy.
- Isleback Spawn - I mean, the goal is to get your opponents to 0 cards which is definitely less than 20
- Wall of Junk - High toughness at low CMC
- Telemin Performance - Milling and stealing, all around excellent
- Wrexial, the Risen Deep - Often used as an ocean-denizen or mill commander but still effective as a normal creature
- Bojuka Bog - Milling your opponents won't work if they Elixir of Immortality or something, this prevents that
- Tormod's Crypt - Same as Bojuka Bog but as an artifact
2 months ago
Love the list and am a big fan of your inclusion of Wrexial, the Risen Deep! Good luck and I hope my suggestions help!
2 months ago
In that case I really can't stress Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge enough, She fits perfectly and the red can give extra combats. But if you insist on dimir.
Dralnu, Lich Lord seems terrible to me with that downside. Unless you can get enough permanents I just see Blasphemous Act and friends ruining your day over and over... Just my opinion though if you can get him to work then cool. And Kess, Dissident Mage seems like a strict upgrade from Dralnu.
Wrexial, the Risen Deep can be pretty good, you'll use all the normal mill stuff like Trepanation Blade and Fleet Swallower. Expect to win more do to his damage rather than mill unless you pull some wicked spells off your opponents. Stormtide Leviathan, Spreading Seas, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and similar can make him rather terrifying. I would also have Lazav, Dimir Mastermind in the 99 because he is good and if your meta is too low on sorceries/instants you can switch them.
This site is a good place to start, though it is not all knowing:
This page is less mill oriented but potentially useful:
And here is pure gold for you:
2 months ago
The Mimeoplasm is a good one. Usually people go self mill or do something dumb with Hermit Druid but I recently threw together Mimeoplasm Just Millin' Around. The general idea being to mill everyone and occasionally cast mimeo whenever a good combination of creatures end up in graveyards.
Some others that benefit from mill or use mill (I have little to no experience with any of these):
Stitcher Geralf- annoy everyone all at once and usually get large tokens
The Scarab God- exile problem things like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in response to the ability hitting the stack so the next time you mill out that person it is gone. Also you get the 4/4 version which is hilarious.
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind- no direct mill but able to do some funny stuff.
Wrexial, the Risen Deep- rather expensive and doesn't mill directly but benefits from it.
Szadek, Lord of Secrets- very similar to what you have now but more linear. You know how much you get with this guy where as your current one could whiff.
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge- Likely to be one of the stronger ones. Cast every bodies stuff!
2 months ago
Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Molten Primordial, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Grave Betrayal, Zealous Conscripts, Followed Footsteps, Progenitor Mimic, Keranos, God of Storms, and The Locust God are all I can think of right now. If I think of any more, I'll be back.
4 months ago
Would you consider Wrexial, the Risen Deep as a threat? He's sort of a hidden gem for mill decks.
4 months ago
Hey there! This deck looks pretty solid already, and I don't know how much I can help - it's already in great shape. Here's a few suggestions:
- Grisly Spectacle is a little expensive for an EDH removal spell, but it accomplishes two tasks at once, which can be very valuable.
- Cyclonic Rift is one of the best EDH board wipes in existence, and belongs in pretty much every Blue deck ever.
- Sire of Stagnation can get out of hand pretty quickly with all of the card draw and mill it provides.
- Counterspell also belongs in pretty much every Blue deck ever due to its extreme efficiency and versatility.
- Wrexial, the Risen Deep doesn't mill by itself, but takes heavy advantage of the mill effects in your deck.
- Sepulchral Primordial for the same reason as above.
- Whispersilk Cloak can protect your commander and ensure his attacks connect.
- Whispering Madness is sneakily a mill card, forcing your opponents to draw and discard repeatedly.
- Windfall also has the same effect.
- Same with Jace's Archivist.
- Undead Alchemist also causes some serious mill stuff.
- There's basically no reason not to run Command Tower.
- Bojuka Bog turns off any graveyard shenanigans your opponents have going on.
If you're looking for cards to cut, I'd start with:
- Illusionist's Bracers doesn't do what you want it to do; Mirko Vosk's ability is a triggered ability, not an activated ability.
- I don't know how full your graveyard usually gets, so Psychic Spiral seems a little bad.
- Dimir Keyrune is too expensive for its effect.
- Same with Midnight Recovery.
- Same with Dimir Doppelganger.
- Same with Mindshrieker.
- Same with Riddlekeeper.
- Same with Dimir Cutpurse.
In any case, hope this helps!