|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Kaladesh (KLD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- End Step and Clean Up Step Question
- Metallurgic Summonings and Torrential Gearhulk interaction.
- Can I target aftermath spells with Torrential Gearhulk
- Can you return to hand a Creature you just discarded or sacrificed, with Dark Intimations?
- Cast during declare attackers and copy in declare blockers?
Artifact Creature — Construct
When Torrential Gearhulk enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant card from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
|Have (16)||CAPTAINxCOOKIES , GoldGhost012 , metlguy , cklise , karnwithpants , a_murpheus , Forkbeard , , the.beanpole , duff87 , TThors , mziter501 , itheoryz , Kleptozaniac , ShishkyBob , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (20)||meren13 , pphhaazzee , oryandaw , Ariumlegion , Gypsyhatten , Cartridge , TheFlaccidGoomba , Talonisnthavingit , dmage105 , Loading_Error , kovellen , blaze333 , Mudman , kungfurabbi , CK500 , Yoric_The_Skull , Waldeaux , afumblez , Andrirox , regnek|
Torrential Gearhulk Discussion
6 days ago
I totally get where you are coming from and you are absolutely right.....but I'm trying to keep it relatively cost friendly.
But you did give me a lot to think about as far as adding flashback into my bag of tricks...but man Snapcaster Mage is soooo expensive (money not mana wise). I'm digging the Torrential Gearhulk and Mission Briefing so I will be adding that. I guess in my excitement of this deck I forgot the importance of card draw.
Overall thanks for the suggestions.
6 days ago
(Sry I accidentally hit post on the last comment). I'm not done.
You have no threat of reuse. Most control deck at the very least have Snapcaster Mage or the new Mission Briefing . The power to recast any spell in your graveyard is sooo powerful im not even going to explain. It would take too long. Long story short, you need some. I'm thinking you could drop Vapor Snag for a playset of Snapcaster Mage / Mission Briefing .
You need to rethink your threats and creature count. Guile is fine, but have only one copy doesn't really work. Creating a blockade has always been secondary to control deck. I think you should drop AEtherling and both Detention Sphere for 3 copies of Torrential Gearhulk . Gearhulk gives you better control, a free spell and is just better in general.
Your removal is also EXTREMELY expensive. Particularly, Blessed Light . Path to Exile is probably the best modern-legal removal in the game. My thought are get rid of Blessed Light and Bring to Trial for a playset of it.
Suggestions in total: Snapcaster Mage
1 week ago
Here are my suggestions: Drop 2x Captain of the Watch 3x Torrential Gearhulk 2x Spell Pierce 1x Hindering Light 2x Teferi, Hero of Dominaria 1x Hallowed Fountain 1x Glacial Fortress 2x Irrigated Farmland
I'm confident that the preceding improvements will significantly improve your deck. Let me know your thoughts!
3 weeks ago
This deck is super sweet. Gifts Ungiven is an incredible magic card and this deck really makes use of its value potential. A few things I would recommend:
- Go for the Throat is strictly better than Cast Down against most decks, since legendary creatures are much more common than artifact creatures. You could also play Murderous Cut if you weren't comfortable with the downside, but it does hinder your Curious Homunculus Flip and Torrential Gearhulk package a bit
- Hieroglyphic Illumination is super awkward in this deck since on 1 you'd rather cast Opt and on 4 you'd rather cast Gifts Ungiven . I'd probably cut them for 2 more Opt and another value spell
- Thirst for Knowledge isn't great in this deck since you can't take advantage of the "unless you discard an artifact" clause very often. I'd honestly probably cut this for countermagic or removal but if you were really insistent on playing another draw spell Think Twice is much better, especially in Gifts Ungiven piles. I'd also recommend cutting Champion of Wits in this 3-drop slot since it's sorcery speed and your deck really wants to curve 1-2-4 with Curious Homunculus Flip
- Your countermagic package leaves much to be desired. I'd definitely play some number of Remand (if you can afford it) and make your 1-ofs Logic Knot and Mana Leak , or Supreme Will if you're REALLY lacking in card selection. Negate is just too narrow for modern (though it is a good sideboard option) and Condescend is only really good in hand, and even then feels a bit clunky without Blue-Tron levels of mana acceleration
- Fatal Push would be very good in this deck, and from my understanding is pretty inexpensive right now. I'd pick those up and slot them in if you can.
The deck idea here is sweet, and I think with some minor changes it could make a super sweet budge deck. Good luck tuning it and have fun!
3 weeks ago
Couple suggestions: Snapcaster Mage i know is pricey but is a solid auto include in this. Future Sight or Magus of the Future to have potential for infinite spells to access Archaeomancer , Torrential Gearhulk or Mnemonic Wall along with Bosium Strip for recursion for spells.
4 weeks ago
Hey, put together a little short list of cards I think may improve your deck Ojutai's Command , Swan Song , Insidious Will , Mystic Confluence , Supreme Verdict , Wrath of God , Path to Exile , Grasp of Fate , Torrential Gearhulk , Snapcaster Mage , Solemn Simulacrum Thought Vessel , and Azorius Signet .
As far as what cards you could cut, well Hindering Light is far too narrow. Hard to hold up mana long enough for it to come up, and even when it does, the pay off is only alright. Single target bounce effects like Unsummon, Vapor Snag, and Boomerang are also kind of weak in commander. This is because you're usually playing a four player game and thus you want to be generating card advantage. These types of cards just can't do that. So more flexible cards like Mystic Confluence tend to be better.
After that, the list is fairly solid baring some odd includes. Mainly Lodestone Golem and Vryn Wingmare. I understand why they're in the deck since it is kind of the whole theme, but this deck isn't really build to support them. With so few creatures and artifacts they will hurt you just as much. At the very least more mana rocks could be included to help improve this.
1 month ago
Thanks for your interest in the deck! Glad to hear that you’re enjoying it. Probably the easiest cut for Force is Foil, they occupy the same slot but force is easier to free cast. It isn’t unreasonable to run both, you may even consider just cutting Counterspell or Arcane Denial.
@Polupus hey thanks for the interest in my deck! I love Kami although my brewing time has been spent elsewhere recently. I have made a few changes that I need to update the list on. By far my largest change has been adding Expropriate in that I pulled out of a different list.
I love all of your suggestions, and I also love how Kami can be built in so many ways and there are so many powerful cards! Metamorphic Alteration is an insane one - I love it and I’m going to find room to double up on Kami while also removing a commander. Pure beauty!
Kederekt Leviathan has always been on my short list. I tend to favor instant speed board wipes as they enable me to play draw go which is my preference. But honestly the card is so powerful it makes me want to break that rule whenever I consider him!
Nexus of Fate is 100% on my add list after it rotates out of standard. Just tailor made for this deck couldn’t agree more!
That last suggestion is a spicy one, wow! I dig it, I don’t know if I can find the cuts for it but I love finding out about awesome random combos like that so thanks for the suggestions!
1 month ago
I'm honestly not even sure in this metta, I haven't played tempo in a year ( I've been on storm), but if the combo is just over kill it might be better just to drop drake to a 3 of, drop Selective Memory and just play 2 Torrential Gearhulk and then more interaction and land
Torrential Gearhulk occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0,02%
All decks: 0,03%
All decks: 0,19%