Not legal in any format
Combos Browse all
- Combustible Gearhulk ETB triggers. I respond by destroying the gearhulk. ETB resolves and I choose to have my opponent mill the top cards. Can gearhulk deal damage to me even if he is in the grave? Sa me if exiled?
- "Target opponent may" and shroud
- Does Start / Finish count as CMC 3 or 6 for Combustible Gearhulk.
Artifact Creature — Construct
When Combustible Gearhulk enters the battlefield, target opponent may have you draw three cards. If the player doesn't, put the top three cards of your library into the graveyard, then Combustible Gearhulk deals damage to that player equal to the total converted mana cost of those cards.
Price & Acquistion
Combustible Gearhulk Discussion
1 week ago
This is my new idea, a deck with cards that have "opponent may (blank)" like Dash Hopes, Vexing Devil and Combustible Gearhulk all together to form a hopefully decent deck. If you have any suggestions for cards that give the opponent options I would love to hear them. Thanks!
1 week ago
Would Combustible Gearhulk be too flashy? It shares a synergy space with Vial Smasher (and if you're on someone's good side you can just convince them to let you draw the cards).
3 weeks ago
Amyas, yeah Combustible Gearhulk can be pretty solid to help put cards in the graveyard or draw three depending on life totals. My curve has lowered more recently with new additions so I might take gearhulk out if my curve goes any lower.
3 weeks ago
I have been debaiting giving Combustible Gearhulk a trial run.
3 weeks ago
cards to consider adding: Exsanguinate, Debt to the Deathless, Death Grasp, Profane Command, Devil's Play, Fall of the Titans, Dictate of the Twin Gods, Exquisite Blood, Furnace of Rath, Curse of Bloodletting, Havoc Festival, Hissing Miasma, Price of Knowledge, Palace Siege, Repercussion, Heartless Hidetsugu, Personal Sanctuary, Land Tax
cards to consider dropping: Vampiric Touch, Blind Obedience, Athreos, God of Passage, Combustible Gearhulk, Mother of Runes, Queen Marchesa, Scab-Clan Berserker, Selfless Spirit, Vampire Nighthawk, & you probably have a few too many targeted creature removal spells
1 month ago
I'd drop some of the following lands just for more basics: Dormant Volcano, Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Smoldering Crater. I'll understand if you keep the Urza lands, but I'm not a huge huge fan. You could consider also adding Arch of Orazca, and Maze of Ith.
Just as a start.
1 month ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
You have two copies of Skyshroud Claim, replace one with Kodama's Reach. Consider replacing the mana dorks and rocks with more land ramp like Harrow, Search for Tomorrow, and Nissa's Pilgrimage. Dowsing Dagger Flip and Sword of the Animist are also helpful. Add Mirari's Wake as well. You might need to increase your land count a bit, maybe 36 lands.
Some of your creature choices seem a bit weird. Thornscape Familiar doesn't help much because most of your deck is green. What are you trying to do with the creatures, go wide or go big? Because Archangel of Thune and Emeria Angel are more for going wide. Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder is probably better than Silverblade Paladin. Emeria Shepherd is helpful if you replace some of the Forests with Plains.
Creatures you could try include Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Blightsteel Colossus, Combustible Gearhulk, Scourge of the Throne, Terastodon, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Xenagos, God of Revels, Gruul Ragebeast, Moldgraf Monstrosity, Molten Primordial, Artisan of Kozilek, and Void Winnower.