|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
|From the Vault: Exiled||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/-1.
Whenever equipped creature dies, draw two cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 day ago
You need Release the Ants, and Wirewood Symbiote is fun, bit too old to be modern legal. If you're going casual, Wirewood Hivemaster is awesome. Ant Queen, and Hornet Queen are great. Fire Ants are horrible but fitting. Hornet Nest isn't too bad, and Skullclamp is also fun.
1 day ago
just a bunch of random ideas
~50% are actual ideas and not troll ideas.
also, the deck looks awesome!
1 day ago
Looks pretty good! Welcome to the format.
I'd try to make room for Skullclamp. Generally speaking edh games go long and you can run out of cards in hand after a while. Especially since you will be have creatures dying regularly, its a pretty good way to cash them in for extra value.
Illusionist's Bracers is another prett good card to get some value out of your commander. You only need to sac one creature for it and you deal double the damage.
1 day ago
Mana Echoes has got to find a place in here. I'm currently testing around with it to see where it would work best, because if I could abuse that with Skullclamp I could almost play my whole deck, haha. RoarMaster
2 days ago
A couple Fog effects might not hurt since you're only running one creature. Also, Skullclamp doesn't seem to do a lot since you don't have token generation and you only have one creature. Just a thought,
2 days ago
I really like this deck! Now I want to build control with this aetherborn vampire too.
Couple of suggestions, you should probably add more card draw. Something like Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Vampiric Rites and/or on-demand draw such as Promise of Power, Succumb to Temptation. Skullclamp is really good with your Bitterblossom and Reassembling Skeleton. Even without them it's nice to have since Yahenni is a free sac outlet.
In time Yahenni should grow to a reasonable size and Toxic Deluge can be quite one-sized.
Maybe add some lifegain effects other than Loxodon Warhammer because monoblack decks are very liberal with their life totals. Kokusho, the Evening Star and Gray Merchant of Asphodel are good for this.
4 days ago
Alright, I gave the deck a look through. I think I understand what you want to do with it, but I also think that you're trying to play Rafiq in an inefficient manner. Based on my interpretation, he isn't meant to be played in a way that prevents other players from doing things. He should be played in a way that prevents other players from doing anything to your board.
With that in mind, I think the best course of action would be to go full voltron. Of course, I have a bias towards aggro and voltron strategies in general, but you have a surprising number of options available to make this a great aggro deck, and there are multiple forms of protection available in Bant aside from just counterspells.
Something you're completely ignoring is the Exalted keyword. Exalted is a triggered ability, so each instance of Exalted stacks. You mentioned to me that you didn't want to necessarily rely on enchantments and artifacts to pump Rafiq. Fortunately, you don't. You just want to retool your creatures a bit so that you get more Exalted triggers, and find some other utility creatures that offer protection.
Any card suggestions I make in this post are going to sway the deck in favor of this strategy, which I understand is against your original vision of a control deck. Also, this does make it play like every other Rafiq deck. But, in my opinion, this deck (in its current state) looks like a bunch of cards put together with no real strategy in mind. Almost all of your control elements would be better off in the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck, or would be better suited for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
Some items to consider: you are only running 1 board wipe. I would at least consider having 3 in any EDH deck. Also, your mana base (33 lands, 5 dorks, 4 rocks) seems low overall. Since you have limited options to ramp for lands outside of playing multiple lands a turn (which is based on the number of lands in hand), and with how easily removed creatures are, I don't think you'll have enough mana to do things when you really want to. You are also only running 2 targeted removal spells, and they are for creatures. You have no way of dealing with artifacts or enchantments on the board, and you're playing with at least two colors that are good with dealing with those kinds of permanents. There also seems to be a curious amount of creature-searching, but none of the creatures you have seem game-changing enough to where I see a reason to search for creatures. I mean, sure, Linvala, Keeper of Silence can ruin someone's day, but there should be more than 1-3 creatures worth searching for.
SUGGESTED CARD REMOVALS AND SWAP
- Remove Academy Ruins: This one is a questionable removal since there is a benefit to it being there, but maybe not a large enough one in the deck's current state.
- Swap Ancient Tomb with Cathedral of War. You want that Exalted trigger more than losing two life for two colorless.
- Swap Buried Ruin for Rogue's Passage : Again, a questionable removal that is based on what dank artifacts you have in your graveyard, but Rogue's Passage helps you get in with Rafiq.
- Remove Dryad Arbor: Likely used to combo with your creature-searching spells, but I don't think you have enough stuff worth searching for. Maybe just swap for a Seaside Citadel for access to more colors? One tapped land won't kill you.
- Swap Jace, the Mind Sculptor for Elspeth, Knight-Errant. This Elspeth makes Rafiq a pain to deal with, and provides a good target for other players who don't want your shit to be indestructible.
- Swap Tamiyo, Field Researcher for Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Not as good as Elspeth, but still makes Rafiq a boss.
- Remove Academy Rector
- Remove Aven Mindcensor
- Remove Containment Priest
- Remove Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Remove Gaddock Teeg
- Remove Gilded Drake
- Remove Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Remove Hokori, Dust Drinker
- Remove Linvala, Keeper of Silence
- Remove Snapcaster Mage: Works in spellslinging decks. Not so much in decks more focused on permanents.
- Remove Temur Sabertooth: This is a questionable removal, since I can see why its in the deck.
- Remove Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Remove Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
- Remove Eldritch Evolution
- Remove Green Sun's Zenith
- Remove Temporal Manipulation
- Remove Temporal Mastery
- Remove Time Spiral
- Remove Time Warp
- Remove Aura of Silence
- Remove Exploration
- Remove Living Plane
- Remove Survival of the Fittest
- Remove Chord of Calling
- Remove Crop Rotation
- Remove Eladamri's Call
- Remove Force of Will
- Remove Mana Drain
- Remove Noxious Revival
- Remove Pact of Negation
- Remove Skullclamp: Most of your 1 toughness creatures are your mana dorks. Do you want to sacriface a mana source for two cards that you may not be able to play?
CARDS TO CONSIDER (largely based on EDHrec)
- Sublime Archangel
- Sovereigns of Lost Alara
- Sigarda's Aid
- Steel of the Godhead
- Giltspire Avenger
- Open the Armory
- Shield of the Oversoul
- Battlegrace Angel
- Stoic Angel
- Supreme Verdict
- Bant Charm
- Various Exalted creatures of your choice
- Silent Arbiter
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Grand Abolisher
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Sigarda, Heron's Grace
- Dauntless Escort
- Sylvan Reclamation
- Krosan Grip
- Beast Within
- Return to Dust
- Simic Charm, Selesnya Charm
- Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Farseek, Rampant Growth
- Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions
- Wrath of God, Day of Judgment
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Behemoth Sledge
- Darksteel Ingot
- Hero's Blade
- Sword of Vengeance
- Commander's Sphere
- Eldrazi Conscription
- Mirari's Wake
- Armadillo Cloak
- Ardent Plea
- Angelic Benediction
- Dueling Grounds
- Bear Umbra
- Aqueous Form
- Unflinching Courage
- Hindering Light
- Valorous Stance
- Bident of Thassa
- Heroic Intervention
- Rogue's Gloves
- Grafted Exoskeleton
4 days ago
I've actually revised my changes:
and I'm still looking for a slot for Mask of Memory but that requires experimentation (i'm waiting for it on order anyhow so this is fine)