Creature — Drake
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
: Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Viral Drake Discussion
6 days ago
I am planning to build an EDH deck with Atraxa, Praetors' Voice as the general, and I know that she is an immensely popular EDH general, but I still wish to make a deck with her, because angels are one of my favorite creature types in this game and Phyrexia is one of my favorite factions in this game.
The idea that I have for my deck will, naturally, be to use Atraxas ability to place additional counters on my permanents: specifically, +1/+1 counters on my creatures and loyalty counters on my planeswalkers.
First, for other proliferation cards beyond Atraxa, I am planning to use Contagion Clasp, Contagion Engine , Fuel for the Cause , Inexorable Tide, Spread the Sickness , Steady Progress , Thrummingbird , and Viral Drake; I will not use Volt Charge, because my deck will not support the color red, Core Prowler , because it simply is too weak, and neither Plaguemaw Beast nor Throne of Geth , because my deck will not be generating large quantities to tokens to sacrifice to the abilities of those permanents. I am currently uncertain about Grim Affliction and Tezzeret's Gambit, so I shall await feedback from other users here regarding those cards.
Second, I will need a method for placing +1/+1 counters on my creatures initially, before I can multiply them, so I am planning to use the following cards to achieve that goal: Archangel of Thune, Ghave, Guru of Spores , Daghatar the Adamant , Kalonian Hydra, Forgotten Ancient, and Echoes of the Kin Tree . If anyone has any suggestions for further cards, I will greatly appreciate them.
Third, for planeswalkers, I will be seeking to use planesawalkers with powerful ultimate abilities, preferably those that grant emblems, and some of the planeswalkers whom I am considering are Tamiyo, Field Researcher , Ajani Steadfast, Ajani Unyielding, Narset Transcendent , Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Elspeth Tirel, and at least one version of Sorin. It is not a high priority, but I would like to ensure that all colors are represented equally, or nearly equally, among planeswalkers in my deck.
Fourth, I have a number of wild cards, cards that do not contribute to the overall theme of the deck but are still very nice to use. Thus far, every EDH deck of mine has both a Gilded Lotus and a Thran Dynamo, but, with a deck that uses the proliferate mechanic, perhaps I could use Astral Cornucopia and Everflowing Chalice in their places, since I will be able to increase the number of counters on them. I believe that every green EDH should contain a Seedborn Muse, so mine shall, as well, especially because she will work well with contagion clasp and contagion engine. I have a Mirari's Wake and Privileged Position in each of my green/white EDH decks and a True Conviction in every white deck, so this one shall, as well. Would Lux Cannon work in this deck? I am considering it, but wish for feedback before I actually purchase it. Also, a deck such as this should definitely have Doubling Season, but that card is currently very expensive, so I shall need to wait either for it to be reprinted or for me to have a great amount of surplus money to spend.
What does everyone else say about this? What ideas can you offer me for an EDH deck centered around Atraxa?
1 week ago
Extra turns is another common option.
It really all depends on how you want to play.
If you go boardwipe route, you can always use Sliver Hivelord as the commander as well.
1 week ago
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds would go well with this if you're bugging up your creatures with +1/+1 counters. For huge mana ramp. High mana would make Viral Drake pretty rude. You could also use Selvala with Omnath, Locus of Mana to keep your green mana. He gets stronger for each green mana in his mana pool and Selvala will, in turn, tap for more mana because Omnath will be stronger. Pair that with Orochi Leafcaller and you've got tons of mana for any color, which you could then pump into Viral Drake. Long shot combo, maybe. But any one of those is good on their own as well.
1 week ago
Inspiring Call can help giving you extra protection + Draw. Especially useful against someone that has a lot of Board Wipes.
Proliferate can easily turn into a broken mechanic into the right environment, since Ezuri cares about counters on you and in your creatures, more reason to try to fit one or more cards with this ability. Viral Drake is certainly my first choice. Tezzeret's Gambit, Inexorable Tide, Fuel for the Cause, Contagion Engine, Core Prowler all of them can find a place in your deck (if you want to of course). Just be carefull, because if your opponents are playing with infect you probably wouldn't want to proliferate yourself.
2 weeks ago
Goods cards for your Ezuri, Claw of Progress deckBlighted Agent, Blightsteel Colossus, Blightwidow, Chained Throatseeker, Core Prowler, Corrupted Conscience, Grafted Exoskeleton, Phyrexian Swarmlord, Putrefax, Spinebiter, Triumph of the Hordes, Viral Drake, Viridian Corrupter
3 weeks ago
So I have an Ezuri, Claw of Progress build, myself. You should check it out! I'm gonna give you some ideas, as I may have a few more experience counters than you xD
The suggestions I make are from my list, but I won't mention any cards outside of your budget. Let's get started!
This is alphabetical, not in order of relevance:
- Avenger of Zendikar is a bomb! He usually produces 7 tokens (sometimes more, rarely less). That's 7 Ezuri triggers! A great way to spend some mana.
- Birthing Pod is good; in my opinion, it is secondary to Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (more on him later)
- Breeding Pool is in your sideboard, but is a little out of your budget. If you're willing to buy it, there is absolutely no reason to leave it out of your deck
- Cyclonic Rift is an auto-include, as you are playing a blue EDH deck
- As brian.olson542 mentioned, Fathom Mage is amazing with Ezuri. It's the best card draw you'll get
- Green Sun's Zenith is amazing if you have enough green creatures to make it relevant. Tutoring is important in Commander, especially with a toolbox build (Ezuri can easily be a very effective toolbox). If you have too many blue/artifact creatures, I would go for other tutors
- Hinterland Harbor is from my favorite cycle of lands. In a 2-color deck, it will usually enter the battlefield _UN_tapped, without having to Shock yourself. Wonderful!
- You would be amazed at just how useful Kiora's Follower is. Got a tapped Simic Growth Chamber, Sol Ring, or Oran-Rief, the Vastwood? No problem :) Of course, it can also untap any creatures you have, as well as tapping an opponent's artifacts/creatures. So much utility in one little creature!
- I am familiar with Lifecrafter's Bestiary (or the Pokedex, as I call it). However, I have not tried it in my Ezuri Claw build. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out!
- Murkfiend Liege is definitely not as good as Seedborn Muse, but it is also 90% cheaper, so that's okay
- Mycoloth is one of the best ways to get more counters! You needn't devour anything as it enters, though you certainly may. Just dump XP into it, and you get some tokens, which gives you more XP, which gives you more tokens, which gives...
- Panharmonicon - yesyesYES!!! This card is bonkers! Creatures that create tokens when they enter the battlefield (i.e.: Avenger of Zendikar) will create twice that amount! But wait - There's more! Those tokens will trigger Ezuri TWICE! For those of you following along at home, that's FOUR TIMES the Ezuri triggers for those tokens. You can't afford to pass that up!
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter really doesn't play with Ezuri, but it is an A+ Simic card.
- PUT IN Sage of Hours!!! He is an infinite combo, and a win condition. If you have 4 XP, play Sage, get another XP, enter combat, place 5 counters on Sage and remove them instantly, take an extra turn. Then do the same thing next turn. Then the next. Then the next. You see where i'm going here? It's infinite turns, my friend. There's no cooler way to win (well... except for Now I Know My ABC's... but that's a different deck)
- I don't usually like taplands, but I make an excuse for Temple of Mystery. The artwork alone keeps it in, and the scrying is noice
- Yavimaya Coast is another solid and inexpensive option for mana
This is kinda alphabetical... but not really. _()_/
- Abundance lets you decide: Do you want a land or not? If you're short lands, get a land. If you're flooded, you can make sure you don't get any more. This is one of the few cards I will suggest that doesn't play with Ezuri, but it will certainly help you get better draws. Bonus: if (for some reason) you were about to be milled to death, this card will save you. If you look at the text, you'll notice that you do not actually draw cards anymore. Thus, when you go to draw from an empty library, nothing will happen. Value!
- Animation Module allows you to get a token whenever you distribute counters. Not super flashy, but an additional Ezuri trigger each turn is nothing to sneeze at.
- Beast Within is some of the best removal you'll get in Simic
- Blighted Agent is Invisible Stalker's Evil Twin. It is almost entirely better than Blight Mamba, and will win you many games.
- Bramblewood Paragon will give all your compleated creatures trample. Bonus: If you play it before Ezuri, your General enters as a 4/4
- Champion of Lambholt makes all your creatures unblockable.
- Chord of Calling is a wonderful tutor! Convoke really makes this baby shine.
- Contagion Engine is removal and the best proliferation you'll get.
- Crystalline Crawler is the best mana producer you'll see for Ezuri
- Cultivator of Blades triggers Ezuri 3 times (10 times with Panharmonicon), and then proceeds to make all your creatures far stronger when she attacks
- Den Protector is a hybrid of Eternal Witness and Champion of Lambholt; it doesn't do either ability as well, but it does do both.
- Defense of the Heart is my favorite Magic card. Look at it. Embrace it. Then tutor for Cultivator of Blades and Avenger of Zendikar :D
- Deranged Hermit gives you 5 quick triggers. You could pay to keep it around, but I usually don't.
- Dryad Arbor is a free Ezuri trigger
- Fauna Shaman lets you chose which creatures you'll be casting.
- The Fable of Wolf and Owl is the second best story ever told (the first being the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise).
- Fertilid lets you extract your lands from your deck, insuring that you will have mana, but not draw lands when you could be drawing more creatures.
- Hangarback Walker loves getting big, then making cute flying ezuri-triggering babies when it dies.
- Kalonian Hydra doubles the counters on ALL OF YOUR CREATURES!
- Loaming Shaman doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he gets your creatures back, so we keep him around.
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is the creature that tutors for creatures. He triggers Ezuri, and also finds the bodies you need.
- Nature's Claim is great because it's only 1 mana. The 4 life is negligible.
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar gives you triggers, as well as counters.
- Parallel Lives because Doubling Season is too expensive.
- Phantom Nantuko is one helluva blocker. I like it better than Fog Bank, personally.
- Pongify - more one-mana removal! you already run one Rapid Hybridization, why not two?
- While we're on removal, there's Reality Shift. It's great beucase if they manifest a non-creature, then they can never cast it. So not only did you remove their Blightsteel Colossus, but you also got their Armageddon (yes, this actually happened to me once; the guy was so ticked).
- Reclamation Sage is removal on ezuri-triggering legs.
- Okay... so I know this is just a little out of your budget, but Sakashima the Impostor simply must go in. It can copy Ezuri, and is the only copy effect that can do so. I want you to imagine, atlasthetitan64, a world with 2 Ezuris. Think about all the triggering! All the COUNTERS! That, my friend, is Phyrexia incarnate. Search your couch for the spare change: Sakashima is well worth it.
- Servant of the Scale is a great one-drop. You can buff him up with no worries. If he dies, you'll just move the counters onto someone else, such as Fathom Mage.
- Simic Manipulator may cause you to lose all your friends, but that ability...
- Spike Feeder gives you more life than you'll know what to do with
- Triskelion is removal. Doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he's a beast. Dump a bunch of counters on him and watch your opponents squirm!
- If you play enough tokens, Triumph of the Hordes can be a good one-turn kill
- Viral Drake is great because of infect, obviously. However, even the proliferation is a welcome addition. It triggers Ezuri, and you'll get more conuters on your creatures, more XP, and more poison counters on your foes!
- Vorel of the Hull Clade doubles the counters on a creature. Great for Triskelion, Blighted Agent, Cultivator of Blades, or Fathom Mage
- Whirler Rogue is akin to Cultivator of Blades. It gets the same bonus from Panharmonicon. It also grants unblockability.
- Wild Beastmaster is not as good as Cultivator of Blades, but it's 2 mana cheaper.
- Wingcrafter is a great one-drop. I'd definitely play it over Cobbled Wings.
- Worldly Tutor wrote the book on creature tutoring. It's a good read!
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, because tutoring + cheaper creatures = a win.
Whew! Well I gave you a lot to think about, there. feel free to ask questions about anything I've suggested; I'd be happy to give you examples from games I've played, etc. Good luck, and happy deck-teching!
1 month ago
you mind want Inkmoth Nexus in it as well.
If money is not a problem Force of Will as Zero mana counter.
2 months ago
Okay here are my promised suggestions.
Take out Winter Orb for Winding Constrictor, Trophy Mage for Master Biomancer, Tangle Wire for Eternal Witness, remove Sun Titan for a Ajani Unyielding, Supreme Verdict for I believe As Foretold even though not covered in your list if you can acquire one of these I recommend it, otherwise add maybe Vorel of the Hull Clade.
Beyond this, swap Stasis for Hardened Scales, Shred Memory for Scavenging Ooze, Perplex for Thrummingbird, Peacekeeper for either Authority of the Consulate (Will explain why soon) or Corpsejack Menace if not, Narset Transcendent for Glen Elendra Archmage, Muddle the Mixture for Abzan Charm, Luminarch Ascension for Aura Shards, Kiora, Master of the Depths for Forgotten Ancient, Idyllic Tutor for Collective Effort, Humility for I think Archangel of Thune if you have or can get one easily the card works well when you have of course your commander and Authority of the Consuls if you choose to run that, or just Rishkar's Expertise, Fabricate for Crystalline Crawler, Aura of Silence for Prime Speaker Zegana.
You could always add in some hydras to this like Primordial Hydra, Kalonian Hydra, and Lifeblood Hydra. Some other considerations are Reliquary Tower and Thought Vessel which I recommend one or more (I use both) so you don't ever have to worry about discard when you play Prime Speaker Zegana or Rishkar's Expertise. I also think you should try and add Inspiring Call which further supports having something for unlimited handsize. Oath of Ajani, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Abzan Falconer, and Chasm Skulker(good if you include all of that card draw) are a few other ideas.
When I can again I will try and help you find a place for Viral Drake and any others I missed/suggested additionally.