Isolated Chapel enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Plains or a Swamp.
T: Add W or B to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||, ibraJG84 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , mazrimtaim , perrin515 , Nemesis , tragic_slip , Talistan|
|Want (8)||acbooster , Kravian , mentor6 , brokendwarf , golgarigirl , hardhitta71194 , Vasbear1 , TheRealPeaches|
Isolated Chapel Discussion
11 hours ago
I have a super similar deck that is my current modern deck. I like to run Castigate in there for control and Path to Exile as well to help with early game control. Also I recommend Isolated Chapel and Tainted Remedy as a sideboard. Elixir of Immortality is quite good too. or Diabolic Tutor to search.
1 day ago
Isolated Chapel is completely unnecessary as well. There isn't a single black cost in the deck. Two basic plains would literally be better.
2 days ago
Have you considered dredge cards like Stinkweed Imp to flip more cards int your graveyard? If you did you might consider Odunos River Trawler to get back any enchantments you mill (could even run a couple lands that tap for b/w like Isolated Chapel so you could get a bit of value out of it's ability).
3 days ago
Interesting build, so +1, here are my suggestions:
Most of this stuff looks like the WB control deck from standard, which is a slower format, but in modern, almost every deck is trying to kill you around turn 4, which means cards like Read the Bones, Ruinous Path, Transgress the Mind just aren't going to make the cut, if you want card draw Night's Whisper is more on curve (you lose scrying but that should be ok) Phyrexian Arena is also an option that is more dependable. While Ruinous Path, Ultimate Price, and Hero's Downfall were great in standard, 3 mana in modern should get you more, cards like Go for the Throat, Path to Exile, and Dismember are much better at dealing with creatures and are more on curve. (Also, Victim of Night kills pretty much everything in the format, so I'd play it over Grasp of Darkness. Transgress the Mind is obviously outclassed by Inqusition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize but it could probably just be 2 more Castigate, since many deck in the format like burn don't even play 3 drops.
Do you really need 26 lands? 24-25 is what most decks need to consistently play 6 drops, but that's more for you to decide. In any case, some budget duals are Isolated Chapel and Caves of Koilos, I'd probably put chapel in since you play so many basics.
This deck looks well pivoted towards beating creature based decks, but a deck like Ad Nauseeum would run right over you. I'd recommend playing 4 copies of Duress in your sideboard if you don't have inquisitions/thoughtseizes in the main.
The deck needs a sideboard plan, as mentioned above Duress seems like a good option for the deck, I'd also recommend playing Disenchant or moving some amount of Anguished Unmaking into the sideboard, since you likely wont need all of them in a game. If gravehate is needed for budget Tormod's Crypt and Nihil Spellbomb are very cheap. Extirpate can shred combo decks and couples well with discard. There are other ideas but it's all meta dependent.
While I like the idea of assembling Bruna and Gisela, I think a better plan would be to play 2 Gideon Jura, as he can fog for a turn, kill creatures, and is a finisher all by himself. Also, I think you get rid of some of your creature removal to play Lingering Souls since you are so overloaded with it and the synergy it has with cards like Sorin, Solemn Visitor is amazing. Elspeth, Knight-Errant could also be looked at as a one-of since it works with Lingering Souls and Shambling Vent.
These are my suggestions, let me know if you'd like anymore feedback.
5 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 week ago
1 week ago
Well for one, in modern you want as few lands that have to enter the battlefield tapped as possible. Therefore I'd add two more Concealed Courtyard, at least a couple Isolated Chapel, and maybe a Ghost Quarter or two instead of the tapped lands you currently have in there. Also, Transgress the Mind isn't that great in modern as opposed to standard, where it's pretty damn good. Discard options include Inquisition of Kozilek, and Thoughtseize on the more expensive end of things, but there are cheap hand disruption cards like Duress, Blackmail, Distress, and Castigate.
Seeing as you're trying to gain life, the one exception to the lands entering tapped would be Shambling Vent but only play one or two of them. As far as modern playable planeswalkers go, you can't go wrong with one or two Gideon Jura.
2 weeks ago
You should try Crypt Ghast, with Urborg on the battlefield it is another incredible way to ramp into your big mana spells. The extort ability makes it an all star in a multiplayer game if you are tight on other lifegain cards. I would also recommend Isolated Chapel and Concealed Courtyard to fix mana and stay on curve in the early game. Also, feel free to check out my version of Ayli EDH here:
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 3 | 2 COMMENTS | 696 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS