Creature — Bird Horror
Whenever Thrummingbird deals combat damage to a player, proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster: Store Edition (MYSTOR)||Uncommon|
|Mystery Booster: Convention Edition (MYSCON)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Thrummingbird occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
6 days ago
1 month ago
Just to complicate things further, I think you should look to include Thrummingbird in the deck - it’d work very well here
1 month ago
It started with Hidden Strings and Darksteel Reactor because I liked the flow of Hidden Strings ciphered + mana-storage lands. Thrummingbird came along since its flying made it a good target for the Cipher while doubling my mana lands. I eventually looked for cooky counters to Proliferate (infect was a bit too strong for the multiplayer-casual environment I was building for and have yet to build a alt win-con deck) so I found Darksteel Reactor. came in because Dismantle- along with Pyromancer's Goggles and Ral Zarek (possibility of going infinite with ult and enough proliferation, plus his tap/utap +1 was great for mana rocks and the goggles). 1 Dismantle let me jump from 5 counters to 10 and a copied pair jumped that to 20 giving me a out-of-the blue insta win.
I never built the deck since Darksteel is a pricy card for my standards and a bit too threatening- i'd most likely get jumped the second I put 2-3 counters on it once my friend group knew I was running dismantle.
Then I found out proliferate was amazing with mana rocks that use counters like Everflowing Chalice and Astral Cornucopia. I still liked Ral's interaction with my mana rocks and thought Volt Charge would be fun with the goggles so I came to my current deck Untap X-Spells which proliferate-ramps mana to dump into Fireball-esqe spells for a finisher. Had to find an alt win con since one of our friends was bringing a player-hexproof deck which would render the game unwinnable but found some good allies in Ludevic's Test Subject Flip and Slumbering Dragon. Plus, Manifold Key can give the big boi a backdoor.
Deck works alright but I usually have 15+ mana for a finisher but never draw one. End up passing mid-late game while topdecking and lose before the big zap. Figured Firemind's Research could give me a mana dump and carddraw and works nicely with Flux Channeler for a storm-like deck. I'll probably order 2 of each and drop the Thrummingbirds. Untap X-Spells Storm Prolif-TriggerI was wondering what I could accomplish if I put more eggs in the cantrip basket when I stumbled across your deck and found out ha!
Your deck reminds me of the Blistercoil Weird + Paradise Mantle decks- where you would cantrip all day then swing with him / Guttersnipe them down- but I think your engine is a little more fun. I wonder which solitare deck would win.
As an important side note, I almost exclusively play Blue/Red since I love those card the most and rarely look into the other colors so that greatly affected the cards I found and considered. With Green, going the Simic route with Evolve mechanics, +1/+1 counters, and Gilder Bairn would be pretty strong package for a Darksteel Reactor deck as well. And Black, as you found out, is great for getting a cheap Infect counter on someone.
3 months ago
You might also like these: Fierce Empath , Woodland Bellower , Eerie Interlude , Ghostway , Grateful Apparition , Thrummingbird , Skyship Plunderer , Guildpact Informant , Evolution Sage , Sword of Truth and Justice , Soulherder , Deadeye Navigator , Rite of Replication , Cauldron of Souls
3 months ago
Love this deck, I made a version of it based on the list.
I have found Gleam of Authority underwhelming unless you have managed to get your Cloudfin Raptor up using Thrummingbird . Because most of the enchantments are cheap, if you don't know you have Celestial Ancient coming up it's hard to justify keeping stuff like Ordeal of Thassa and Favorable Winds in the hand to activate the triggered effect of Ancient later on. However usually if you get get some proliferation from Thrummingbird + Collective Effort , you have a viable bird army by T3 or T4.
In the 1-drop slot I swapped Faerie Seer for Healer's Hawk . I have been thinking of adding Sky Tether as basically a 1 mana Pacifism for removal. Blessed Spirits also rounds out the curve nicely and fits right in with the theme. I happened to have a Starfield Mystic which also dovetails nicely. I found Gird for Battle as a nice mana sink on T3 or T4 to get the proliferation / boosts for High Sentinels of Arashin if you have any "naked" creatures. To boost card draw, one could also add Winged Words and/or Curiosity / Curious Obsession which would get more enchantments in the hand. Invocation of Saint Traft is also a great combo with Cloudfin Raptor . Finally, Eidolon of Countless Battles can be a nice T4 bomb, boosting up one of your smaller flyers.
I know a lot of those changes make it a little less budget, but we're still talking like <$15 here.
5 months ago
A few I haven't seen yet:
- Time Reversal (pretty sure at least one of those is a moon)
- Opportunity (7th)
- Dreamborn Muse (Legions, 10th, Commander)
- Higure, the Still Wind (Betrayers, Planechase)
- All Sun's Zenith cards (Mirrodin Besieged)
- Etched Champion (Scars)
- Strionic Resonator (very debatable) (M14, Commander 2019)
- Gustha's Scepter (Alliances)
- Solarion (Fifth Dawn)
- Precursor Golem (Scars)
- Flying Carpet (Revised, Arabian Nights, 4t, 5th, 6th) (on the minaret)
- Oblivion Stone (Mirrodin, Commander)
- Doomsday (arguable) (Masters 25)
- Mortivore (9th, 10th, Odyssey, Commander)
- Ihsan's Shade (Masters 25)
- Dralnu's Pet (Planeshift)
- Ribbons of the Reikai (Betrayers)
- Somnophore (arguable) (Urza's Saga)
- Jace, the Living Guildpact (2015 Core Set)
- Elvish Ranger (Alliances)
- Descendants' Path (Avacyn)
- Burn at the Stake (Avacyn)
- Chaos Imps (Return to Ravnica)
- Enlightened Tutor (right cheek tattoo) (Mirage, 6th)
- Mother of Runes (in the hieroglyphics, top left) (Eternal Masters)
- Nevermore (Innistrad)
- Bottle of Suleiman (Arabian Nights)
- Silent-Blade Oni (Planechase, Commander 2018)
- Angel of Despair (Guildpact, Commander, Ultimate Masters)
- Glacial Fortress (Magic 2010-2013)
- Darkslick Shores (Scars)
- Plateau (arguable) (Alpha-Revised)
- Caged Sun (New Phyrexia, Commander 2014)
- Berserk (on the belt) (arguable) (All editions but A/B/U)
- Brutalizer Exarch (New Phyrexia, Planechase)
- Lotus Cobra (Zendikar, Iconic Masters)
- Homeward Path (Commander, Commander 2013, Commander 2016)
- Lake of the Dead (arguable) (Alliances)
- Tribute to the Wild (Commander, Commander 2015)
- Serene Heart (Mirage)
- Tranquil Domain (arguable) (Mirage)
- Guard Gomazoa (Rise of the Eldrazi, Commander)
- High Tide (Fallen Empires variant 2)
- Ray of Command (Mirage, Commander)
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon (arguable) (Scars)
- Thrummingbird (Scars)
- Hand of the Praetors (Scars)
- Sword of Light and Shadow (Modern Masters)
- Sword of Body and Mind (Scars, FTV: Relics)
- Sword of Feast and Famine (Mirrodin Beseiged)
- Sword of War and Peace (New Phyrexia)
- Mana-Charged Dragon (Commander)
- Crucible of Worlds (Fifth Dawn, 10th Ed, Core 2019)
Couple tips when looking for moons: Both actual moons and moon symbols count, so keep an eye out for moons on things like books, texts, and manufactured things in the art. There is no limit on how small they can be, though it's obvious it has to be large enough to make out. Some cards have very small, very sneaky moons hidden in them this way.
5 months ago
The newest debate that I am considering for my Atraxa EDH deck is whether or not I should replace Guildpact Informant with Merfolk Skydiver . The skydiver has a lower converted mana cost and can also immediately make itself or another creature more powerful, but its proliferate ability requires a significant investment of mana, which is the main focus of my deliberation.
On one hand, the informant’s ability requires no mana, but triggers only during combat, whereas, on the other hand, the skydiver’s ability can be used at any time, but requires mana to use. Also, each of those creatures has redundancy with other cards in my deck; the informant has redundancy with Thrummingbird , Grateful Apparition , Sword of Truth and Justice , Kalonian Hydra , and Archangel of Thune in that each of those cards has a triggered ability that places counters on creatures. If I were to put the skydiver in the deck, it would have redundancy with Viral Drake , Contagion Clasp , Contagion Engine , Karn's Bastion , Shalai, Voice of Plenty , and Gavony Township in that each of those cards has an activated ability that places counters on creatures.
Actually, I could alternatively replace Abzan Falconer with Merfolk Skydiver , because, as nice as the falconer is, it does not really contribute to the overall theme of the deck and having another source of proliferation is better than giving all of my creatures flying, especially since a large number of creatures in this deck already have flying, and I have two other cards in this deck that can grant all of my creatures flying. What does everyone say about that?