|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers (DPA)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Return all creatures to their owners' hands.
1 week ago
So before I list cuts and suggestions let me start with what I've gathered from your deck.
You have a lack of value on a LOT of card that you've chosen, I'll explain in more detail in cuts but every card should serve to help you win the game not just push your theme/gimmick. sometimes you gotta make slots for cards.
Lack of spot removal. You have little to no way to deal with your opponents shenanigans, to be exact you have only 2 bits of spot removal. Your deck's gameplan isn't fast enough or big enough to just play solitare like some combo, control, or hyper aggressive decks.
You have a distinct lack of board wipes, to be exact you have one. I get your hesitation to run these but... You have to, if not someone is going to be in a better position than you and it's going to cost you the game.
I feel like you're ignoring your colors' strengths. Green ramps, White removes, and Blue Draws/Counters. Play to those strengths because that's what makes Bant such a powerful color combination!
Alright to the cuts:
- Tamiyo, field researcher: I get it she's an omniscience but I don't think that she lives for long and her + and - abilities aren't really all that useful to you or the gameplan. Not enough value.
- Nissa, vital force: You aren't playing lands, the only thing useful on this card to you is her - ability. Sure her ult would gain some passive use IF you ever got there! Not enough value.
- Spellbook: I don't understand why this was there to begin with... Reliquary Tower is far superior, and if you must have an artifact for it I'd run Thought Vessel over it anyday.
- Contagion Clasp: I'ma big believer that Contagion Engine is just better. For 4 extra mana upfront you get to wipe an opponent's board, and you get to pay the same 4 you'd pay on clasp but you'd get two proliferates instead. Who cares if you get it out turn two you can't do anything with it for two turns.
- Call the gatewatch: You aren't playing planeswalkers... this card doesn't have enough value and doesn't help you achieve your goal at all.
- Djeru, with eyes open: Refer to Call the Gatewatch
- tireless tracker: This COULD get there, it COULD be useful, but... That's a could be, not a guarantee. I'd prefer to see a card here that is going to help definitively.
- Vizier of the menagerie: you only have 25 creatures... you have a 1/4 chance for this to actually mean something. Not enough value as the deck stands with so few creatures. I'd rather see consistent draw power here.
- talisman of progress: I just don't think it's necessary you have 5 rocks total this isn't necessary at all.
- oath of ajani: I get it... It's first ability helps you out a lot, but... I just feel like it's a wasted card slot. it's an enchantment that you're basically treating as a sorcery.
Here are some card I'd suggest filling these holes, which I'll break down into categories.
Useful +1/+1 Shenanigans:
- Kalonian Hydra
- Champion of Lambholt
- Tuskguard Captain
- Abzan Falconer
- Loyal Guardian
- Prime Speaker Zegana
- Zameck Guildmage
- Bloodspore Thrinax
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Walking Ballista
- Hydroid Krasis
- Sage of Hours
- Doubling Season / Primal Vigor
- Fuel for the Cause
Staples that should be in the deck including Spot removal!
- Vedalken Orrery
- Teferi's Protection
- Heroic Intervention
- Rhystic Study
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Defense of the Heart
If you're going to play walkers these are much better suited to your deck:
Finally some board wipes
Last thing, I'm not taking into account budgets of any kind I just want to help you create the most competitive deck that won't fold over if someone screws your gameplan over. Also if I came off as a dick at all apologies, it's not intentional.
1 week ago
First, I just noticed. Tinker is banned in EDH. That may not matter in your meta, but I just thought I'd mention it.
It really depends on your meta as to what you need to do the first few turns. With my playgroup, building up mana is a good way to go, so using mana rocks and spells to get lands out are essential. You've got that down. If you're needing "early" game wipes, something like Evacuation or Chain Reaction aren't bad. Pongify and Rapid Hybridization are good cards for spot removal, and Reality Shift is still one of my favorite removal spells in all colors. If you wanna go with the tribal a little more, you could go with something like Obelisk of Urd , though I personally would stay away from doing that too much. Nezahal, Primal Tide has been an all-star in all of my blue decks. He's a big drop, but he's impossible to get rid of and nets you lots of draws.
I guess it really just depends on what you're wanting to build. Are you wanting to combo out and win quick cEDH style, or play a little more casually, albeit powerfully?
3 weeks ago
Fernah14, thank you for the comment! I have added quite a bit of removal in the deck to take care of pesky creatures and other problematic spells. One way I have taken care of the removal is with Minion of Leshrac or Avatar of Woe . Both of which allow me to take care of creatures specifically, however if I had some untap shenanigans or Quicksilver Elemental effects to let me activate abilities more than once a turn each turn I have the potential to kill everything or even exile everything with Shauku, Endbringer . If I pair the creature destruction abilities with Eater of the Dead I get to exile every creature from every graveyard while also untapping Mairsil. As far as mass removal is concered I have the Nevinyrral's Disk and Amaranthine Wall combo to make him indestructable in response to me activating the disk. I also have added Evacuation paired with Mirage Mirror to turn Mairsil into a land in repsonse to casting Evacuation basically resulting in Cyclonic Rift . If you have any recommendations for removal please feel free to leave them in a comment. Thank you again!
3 weeks ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
3 weeks ago
No problem austintayshus! It's a fun idea definitely! Let me know how your deck list turns out and feel free to ask for any help!
1 month ago
i already have deluge on the list, i used to run Blasphemous Act and Evacuation as well to deal with creatures, and i feel like deluge alone isnt enough for board wipes, perhaps evac is better than damnation due to discard synergy?
1 month ago
No problem goldlion! You know your meta the best!
Yeah the meta I come from is super high paced and competitive so everything that comes in mind is all about efficiency, disruption, and protection.
In regards to your response, as I said earlier you know your meta the best, I personally don't like one time use effects for long term board state as I like the reuseability of an effect more than burst advantage unless the burst advantage gives an overwhelming board state. I see your reasoning behind most of the cards I selected to consider taking out. If you are worried about indestructible and hexproof creatures, luckily enough we do have answers for them. If they aren't hexproof here are a couple suggestions.
Now for the hexproof creatures, well we only have a couple ways to deal with them. First and foremost is mass bouncing like Evacuation , another way to deal with them is to use cards similar to Reins of Power to steal their creatures and than get rid of them. The alternative way is to run effects like Arcane Lighthouse to make them lose their hexproof so that you can target them with removals. Other than those the only way is countering them, but since you are only able to run three of them that is a low percentage.
For your shuffle effect since you are gaining a lot of mana, it's not really a budget option but the Eldrazi's are an option to prevent yourself from milling out or reusing cards again. I would recommend Kozilek, Butcher of Truth as he provides CA as well as shuffle effect.
Now for the next part... Prophet of Kruphix is broken, since you are able to play with it again. Use her to your heart's content. It is why I said it will be beautiful with Deadeye, you can use more effects that abuse ETB or LTB triggers. Cards like Mystic Snake will gain more value and be able to be reuseable as long you have open mana. Slithermuse also is fun this way in conjunction with your Psychosis Crawler . The worrying part on your curve also wouldn't matter as 6 CMC for a card that does give you advantage shouldn't matter as also you have access to flash from two sources and you also play in a slower meta.
Lastly, Pemmin's Aura is an absolute house imo. Giving it protection as well as pump and tap/untap abilities all on one cards is pretty bonkers. The thing I love about it the most is that it gives your creature shroud on demand, and if your opponents have multiple kill spells you can also in response activate it as many times to protect itself.
Hope that helps buddy!
1 month ago
Gidgetimer Valid points about this being a "Tokens deck".
I'm also keen to test out the new card from RNA Unbreakable Formation .
Relooking at the strategy through the "token lens", I may be trying out Eerie Interlude and Unbreakable Formation . The former still offers protection against mass bounce effects (e.g. Cyclonic Rift , Evacuation , Wash Out , Engulf the Shore ) and the option to select which creature(s) I blink grants me the flexibility to protect my key non-token creatures from single target exile spells.
Evacuation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0,04%