Creature — Dragon
Whenever a dragon you control attacks, create a 6/6 red Dragon creature token with flying.
|Want (3)||jakwok21 , Pyrezz , MisterFamous|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Mythic Rare|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Mythic Rare|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Utvara Hellkite occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Utvara Hellkite Discussion
1 week ago
First off, I love that Magister Sphinx is in here, it's my favorite card I had to cut from Oloro. Second, keep in mind that YT's trigger means the ETB creature misses their attack trigger. So Aurelia, the Warleader and Utvara Hellkite for instance, won't trigger. Master of Cruelties WILL, though, because its ability is technically triggered during the Declare Blockers phase.
1 week ago
I would like to respectfully disagree on the drop in CMC and ability costs. This includes tokens, and both green and black are perhaps the best token generating colors in the game. We tend to think red is also up there, but the truth is Krenko, Mob Boss and Utvara Hellkite are more of an exception, similarly to how Martial Coup and Thopter Spy Network are exceptions.
Now if this didn't include tokens (non-token creatures) then I'd feel more comfortable as it becomes a lot more strict in it's playability. But as it stands, paying 3 mana for whenever ANY creature enters or dies is a good balance.
That being said, I do feel it should only be whenever a creature you control enters or dies, as being able to trigger card advantage off of other players seems a bit pushed.
I do however like the addition of +1/-1 life depending on the activation. But keep in mind if you add more abilities, the cost goes up in both activation and CMC. So it's a little hard to argue for cost reduction while asking for more value at the same time.
3 weeks ago
I tried out Deathbringer Regent a long, long time ago and really wasn't impressed. If he was an ETB trigger instead of a cast trigger I'd like him a lot more, but as it is there's much better things the deck could be doing for 7 mana. Like you said, Necromantic Selection is a way more useful choice (I used to run that too, but ended up cutting it because IMO 7 mana is just too much mana for a boardwipe. I don't like paying more than 5 for that kind of effect.)
Flameshadow Conjuring is awesome. Doubling your ramp with sad robot feels great, doubling Scourge of Valkas, Dragon Tyrant, or Utvara Hellkite can lead to a lot of damage, and doubling Meteor Golem is fantastic spot removal, especially when you're using chainer or sheoldred to recur the golem each turn. And if nobody removes it, you can just go infinite with bladewing and kill the table outright. Admittedly, if I am tapping out to cast something, missing out on being able to pay the cost to activate Flameshadow kinda sucks, but I don't think I could ever run the deck without it.
3 weeks ago
Did you ever playtest Deathbringer Regent? I've seen it in a few other builds and just acquired it myself, but it feels SUPER situational in this build. For the same mana we could run Necromantic Selection or Kindred Dominance, both of which are more impactful for the board state, except they don't have a 4/5 flying body attached.
Also: has Flameshadow Conjuring pulled its weight? With ~30-40% of the creature base Legendary I could see it being inconsistent, though massively impactful when it hits the right target like Utvara Hellkite, Scourge of Valkas, Balefire Dragon, or Hellkite Tyrant - Meteor Golem would be the honorable mention for sure.
1 month ago
Cards to consider cutting:
- Fountain of Renewal
- Armillary Sphere: there's better ramp options since this only puts the basic lands into your hand not onto the battlefield.
- Moldervine Reclamation: the least good repeatable source of draw here and being a five drop makes it high mana cost redundancy that you don't need.
- Blood for Bones: lackuster reanimation because you have to sac a creature first. You have reanimation that comes with a Dragon, Teneb and Bladewing which is better reanimation with Dragons.
- Dance of the Manse: nice to reanimate artifacts/enchantments if the strategy of your deck is to self-mill or interact in other ways by getting artifacts into your graveyard. That's not the strategy here therefore this card is not doing much.
- Farseek: good ramp only if you can search for a dual land. Currently Farseek can't search for a dual land which means it could be replaced with a better card for ramp such as Arcane Signet or Smothering Tithe.
- Ryusei, the Falling Star: this Dragon is subpar because you only get the value from it when it dies, but you don't have a consistent way to kill your Dragons nor should you add one.
- Crucible of Fire: Dragons already have high power and flying they don't need an anthem effect like this.
- Helm of the Host: can be a powerful card, but needs support to be one. Your deck doesn't have that support and adding it just for Helm is not needed.
If you're looking for Dragon power then consider moving from the sideboard to the main deck Utvara Hellkite and Steel Hellkite? Utvara is among the best Dragons because it creates a Dragon for each Dragon you control that attacks, each Dragon not just Utvara which can create a huge Dragon army.
Utvara is busted with Dragon Tempest, Scourge of Valkas and Temur Ascendancy, Kindred Discovery, Elemental Bond. Tempest/Ascendancy because they give it haste. Tempest/Scourge because each time a 6/6 Dragon is created it does damage to target creature or player equal to the amount of Dragons you control. Ascendancy/Discovery/Bond can be a lot of draw because each 6/6 Dragon created draws you a card.
Scion of the Ur-Dragon and adding Utvara are reasons to also include more tutors that can search for them and put one of them into your hand. Steel Hellkite is also a Dragon upgrade as it's repeatable attack ability can wipe out an opponent's board state, one opponent at a time. Steel is good with lots of ramp.
1 month ago
Interesting....but might I suggest getting Scourge of Valkas for target #1 for it does damage each time a dragon lands.
1 month ago
2 months ago
Nice deck idea :)