|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Signature Spellbook: Jace (SS1)||Rare|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled (V09)||Mythic Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for an instant or sorcery card and reveal that card. Shuffle your library, then put the card on top of it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Mystical Tutor Discussion
3 hours ago
I would add more rocks (Chrome Mox and Fellwar Stone), more wheel effects (Wheel of Fortune, Magus of the Wheel) and sone more tutors (Vampiric Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Personal Tutor). You already have Hive Mind in the deck so might as well add Pact of Negation.
I know you said you were keeping the price low but I think the following additions, with the exception of Wheel of Fortune will still keep it well below $1000.
21 hours ago
I’ve been playing a similar list to this and it’s been much better than I expected. Arcades does draw a ton of hate, and as a result I’ve tweaked it to include Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves along with Enlightened Tutor.
Another couple additions I made were Angelic Chorus and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. Both of those have done some amazing work. And then, due to their success, I also added Feed the Pack and Phyrexian Processor. Those last two may not stay, but I’m testing them now. I have once gotten the Feed the Pack and Tree of Redemption combo with Angelic Chorus on the battlefield, effectively doubling my life total and creating a ton of wolves. They were board wiped but the lifegain remained and I ended up winning largely because of it. I am also considering Aetherflux Reservoir as an alternate wincon simply because those two life gainers above synergize so well with all the cheap defenders. This does start to take the deck in another direction, but it works really well for only an investment of a couple cards.
What to take out for all these? Always the hard part, right? It’s hard to say because everyone has different preferences, but I’m not a fan of the cards that pump defense, especially at sorcery speed. So that’s a couple of spots to start. There’s also a couple defenders in your list that I think are just a bit too weak or too much mana for their body. I think Hobby mentioned a couple of those...
I’ll try to get my full list posted here soon for more ideas if you’re interested.
2 days ago
HobbyGamer007 Thank you for your time and effort, i'll go through every card now.
- Woolly Razorback: I know, I usually had it in here as another Plan B if Arcades gets too much hate but it's proven itself worthless and it will be exchanged.
- Counter: I know they are not the best and I'll replace them with some of you suggestions maybe, also probably Cyclonic Rift and Stifle
- Cultivate will be replaced with Farseek and i can't part with my japanese Skyshroud Claim i pulled in a Battlebond booster while I was in Tokyo. I know it's not the fastest but I also like Lands more than mana dorks because creatures die a lot faster in ouf group.
- Nature's Claim is a great card and it will replace Disenchant
- Don't underestimate Shield Wall and Steadfastness (the other mentioned cards are way worse). Normally I have 5-6 defender on the battlefield with an avg. toughness of 5, that's 25/30 strenght + one of the instants its 35-45 strenght which is normally enough to kill an opponent. Those cards often gave me the 1-2 extra damage I needed to kill.
- Disallow I like it because it gives versatility, but could be replaced with Stifle
- Dispel is very narrow and wasn't very usefull, could also be replaced
- Reality Shift is nice, probably switch Pongify for it
- Dorks: as I said, I don't really like dorks, maybe Noble Hierarch and/or Birds of Paradise will find a slot some day
- Signets are great to get the commander faster, depending on where I want to go with it
- Muddle the Mixture I don't really have any crucial 3 cmc cards in the deck yet
- Mystical Tutor great and could search Tower Defense for example but I don't think it is mach needed yet
- Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile are very nice I look if I can get my hands one one, but without lifegain I prefer Mirri's Guile
For the lands, they are very good and I mentioned a lot of them under the "Fast Mana Base" tab. But I initially tried to keep the deck on a budget also because I think a lot of people following the deck will do. Nonetheless I increasingly wish for cards like Strip Mine in my deck. So I'll probably add one or two in the future. Also I'd probably add Adarkar Wastes and Brushland.
Thank you again for your suggestions and I'm happy that you took the time to comment on my deck to show me good improvements for my existing cards!
3 days ago
Mystical Tutor is not legal in Duel Commander or MTGO 1v1 Commander (ditto Sol Ring.)
3 days ago
Sure thing. Sorry that took a while:
- Woolly Razorback: too expensive, not good
- Hindering Light: not good
- Remove Soul: not good
- Render Silent: too expensive, hard to cast
- Rewind: you don't wanna leave 4 mana open
- Chromatic Lantern: fixes all your mana, so it will be destroyed right away
- Cultivate: not good
- Skyshroud Claim: too late
- Condemn: not good
- Disenchant: claim is better
- Shield Wall: calculate mana cost/toughness boost. a 2 toughness per mana boost is good, anything wose should just stick or do something(like Call to Glory or Glorious Anthem, and even these are kind of bad.)
- Steadfastness: see shield wall
- Disallow: trickbind is better imho
- Pongify: leaves a 3/3
- Mana Leak: can be useless
- Dispel : very narrow for a deck like yours. I'd prefer Autumn's Veil or Heroic Intervention. adding the latter.
- Reality Shift: exile is awesome
- Noble Hierarch: mana dorks
- Elvish Mystic
- Llanowar Elves
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Arbor Elf
- Birds of Paradise
- Wild Growth
- Selesnya Signet: mana rocks
- Azorius Signet
- Simic Signet
- Mystical Tutor: finds everything
- Nature's Claim
- Echoing Truth
- Muddle the Mixture: finds a lot of really crucial cards and doubles down as an emergency counter
- Sylvan Library: too good not to run, even without paying life, fetches make this great. maybe also consider Mirri's Guile
Mana base(33 is enough at this average cmc):
- Tropical Island
- Arid Mesa
- Flooded Strand
- Marsh Flats
- Misty Rainforest
- Polluted Delta
- Scalding Tarn
- Verdant Catacombs
- Windswept Heath
- Wooded Foothills
- Horizon Canopy
- Reflecting Pool
- Adarkar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ancient Tomb
- Nimbus Maze
- Strip Mine: Maze of Ith so you always wanna have one of these four sooner or later during a game.
- Ghost Quarter
- Tectonic Edge
- 3 Forest
- 3 Plains
- 4 Island
That's what I'd do and then playtest it and go tweaking. Hope that helps and also that it wasn't too brutal. For real tweaking please add a list of decks you play against or how a normal game looks like(amount of combo decks, creature decks, control decks per game). You do run lot's of creature spot removal, but I let that in, since you might need it.
1 week ago
Ich würde folgendes ersetzen:
1 week ago
Dark Ritual says "add 5 black mana" with Kess out on the field.
You are missing draw. Preordain, Brainstorm, Ponder, Serum Visions are all cheap ways to draw cards and keep cards in your hands. I feel you constantly sit with no cards in hand which isn't good with a spell based commander.
Kess, Dissident Mage is a commander that needs spells. I have 32 spells in my deck and I feel I need more. 23 spells is not enough. You're almost better off running Marchesa, the Black Rose as your commander in this deck.
Counter-spells is needed also. I honestly don't know how you could run a spell based deck in blue, without running a couple counter-spells. Counterspell, Dispel, Negate, Counterflux, Mana Leak are all some you should consider.
1 week ago
I specifically meant Sen Triplets, not Sharuum the Hegemon (the real artifact esper commander of choice other than Sydri, Galvanic Genius), in fact now that I think about it, Sen Triplets sucks as an esper artifact commander, and also Celestial Dawn isn't exactly an artifact combo.
Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond are enchantments, so they can be Replenished/Open the Vaultsed back with ease after a Tunnel Vision/Traumatize, and the fact they need lifeloss is easy with an unblockable hexproof commander. Neither of your "combos" win the game, let alone can be Replenished.
Celestial Dawn + Caged Sun = Double you land mana, and give it perfect fixing, minus Ancient Tomb, which now only receives fixing, and Boseiju, Who Shelters All doesn't protect you stuff, ad your artifact mana is kind of sucky now.
See what happened, a 9 mana two card combo did worse than a Mirari's Wake, which is another way of saying it sucks, together. On their own, Caged Sun does very little ramping, and it outclassed by Thran Dynamo/Gilded Lotus most of the time, which I could make an argument that they were bad, and Celestial Dawn is even worse, with this deck already having an incredibly powerful landbase, it un-ramps you with Ancient Tomb and Boseiju, Who Shelters All sucks now.
Onto the next "combo:" This one you were kind enough to even put a reason for:
Okay, Mycosynth Lattice + Unwinding Clock untaps all of your permanents (lands, artifacts and creatures mostly), along with fixing each players mana perfectly, and leaving you open to a blowout with Hellkite Tyrant, By Force, Vandalblast or Shattering Spree.
Okay, so tons of value? I mean it has a major couple of downsides, this deck is fine on its own fixing, and it fixes for all of your opponents? it is 10 mana, and can't be cheated out by Replenish, so it comes late in the game, and your opponents can probably tutor a Vandalblast up be now, so tons of value? Lets, see, if we untap every one of our permanents, every turn, what ways do we have to abuse the excess of mana? 8 things, of which 5 are instants (Cyclonic Rift, Dark Ritual, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, and Vampiric Tutor), we can also move around Felidar Umbra a lot, activate Nomad Mythmaker, or Flickerform a little bit.
Well, yeah, and the cards are bad on their own, so it is a trash combo in this deck, despite what you said.