|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Dragon
: Steel Hellkite gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X whose controller was dealt combat damage by Steel Hellkite this turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
|Have (3)||PTsmitty , metalmagic , GeminiSpartanX|
|Want (4)||amb66 , xegster , byron_mt_tolmieathotmaildotcom , slim_chanc3|
Steel Hellkite Discussion
1 week ago
Primeval Bounty here is a six mana enchantment that does nothing other than some minor life gain. I'd highly recommend something else in that slot. I personally like Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger , but if you're not that sort of degenerate, instead consider a card like Chameleon Colossus , Heroes' Bane or Elder of Laurels as a way of converting lands into dunking players.
If you want more ways to get yourself an army, Ant Queen can serve in a pinch. For flying dunks and also board interaction, there's Steel Hellkite who can erase tokens with one hit and firebreathe to death the next. And if you'd like to win without having to dunk, Helix Pinnacle exists as an alternate route in case your opponents have put up enough of a wall.
2 weeks ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
3 weeks ago
Is this the commander your talking about? I think with all the dragons Dragon Tempest would be good for the haste and the additional damage (X based on # of dragon you control).
Blinding Fog is a bit high CMC, I might pass on this one, there are others (lower CMC) that do this job.
Urborg Volcano is a no, anything that just ETB tapped not the way to go for sure.
Command Tower is a must include.
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is always fun, and has regenerate.
Steel Hellkite can be good removal.
Just some initial ideas, but I'll have to get my head around exactly what the game plan is with the dragons tomorrow when I have some time.
1 month ago
Dance of the Dead , Necromancy , Reanimate , Praetor's Grasp , Volrath's Stronghold , Jet Medallion , Necropotence , Crypt Ghast , Phage the Untouchable , Sangromancer , Steel Hellkite , Liliana Vess , Mimic Vat , Nim Deathmantle , Thaumatic Compass Flip, Fated Return , Bontu's Monument , Charcoal Diamond , Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx are good cards that do good things.
1 month ago
marco-piatti, unfortunately for that I'm not quite sure. The only thing I know as far as stopping ramp is creature removal. Be it in spot, board wipes, or actively attacking each and every turn to force blockers.
But that leaves artifact and enchantment ramp, which is arguably blacks real weakness.
1 month ago
Defense of the Heart - run Shared Summons instead Godsire you could cut for Giant Adephage which gets super busted Mirari's Wake could be cut for Dictate of Karametra Platinum Emperion is just cringe Emrakul, the Promised End doesn't get a cast trigger if put on the field with your commander Balefire Dragon could be replaced by Steel Hellkite Nylea, God of the Hunt can be replaced by ramos
most of these are for budget balance
I want to see Overwhelming Stampede , End-Raze Forerunners and Soul's Majesty in here somewhere. They'd help out pretty well. You also need some more lands but only like 2 or 3. I suggest cutting some of the less impactful big bois.
1 month ago
Dragonspeaker Shaman is needed cost reduction for your scaled beasties though looking on Card Kingdom.com, the price on this is a bit higher than I would have guessed. Would still be a very good investment for the deck.
Icon of Ancestry is an anthem and search for more dragons.
You really need more artifact ramp here. Budget options [under $1] include: Star Compass , Mana Geode , Pillar of Origins and Hedron Archive . If you're willing to bump up and spend more than $1 per rock: Mind Stone , Worn Powerstone , Wayfarer's Bauble and Fire Diamond are more powerful options. Sol Ring is an obvious choice as well and if you can afford to splurge on one, I would.
By Force is a really nice mass artifact removal spell that will go a long way towards slowing down the table to give you time to launch the dragon airforce.
Too bad on Sundial of the Infinite , it would really make the deck much better by mitigating Zirilan's drawback.
1 month ago
Hey, fine budget version of Kaalia and nice description/primer.
Manalith, Mana Geode, Boros Cluestone, Rakdos Locket, Orzhov Locket, Armillary Sphere, Star Compass. Consider cutting these for better budget mana rocks?
- Talisman of Hierarchy
- Talisman of Conviction
- Fellwar Stone
- Boros Signet
- Orzhov Signet
- Rakdos Signet
- Mind Stone
The main purpose of playing so many mana rocks is to ramp into Kaalia. Two drop mana rocks are better than three drop rocks even if the three drop rocks can be saced later on to draw. The draw from Lockets/Cluestone is not worth playing them over a Talisman or Signet as a Talisman or Signet can give you a full turn or two faster at casting Kaalia.
More haste enablers is another way to increase speed.
Out of these budget options Tempest is the best because Kaalia has flying and all the other big creatures here also have flying. Tempest is also very good with Utvara Hellkite and her ability to create Dragons. Battlements is a land that can ETB untapped which for one red can give Kaalia haste.
For more speed then you want most of your lands to ETB untapped. If you can't afford many dual lands that ETB untapped then play more basic lands instead of lands such as Forsaken Sanctuary, Stone Quarry, Bloodfell Caves, etc. Signets are good with basic lands because any one basic land can be tapped to make two different colors. Budget lands to consider adding:
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Ash Barrens
- Tainted Field
- Foreboding Ruins
- Opal Palace
- Dragonskull Summit
- Isolated Chapel
- Clifftop Retreat
If willing to spend a little more for the manabase then adding the Check lands: Dragonskull, Isolated, Clifftop are good lands when playing basic lands.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Forsaken Sanctuary
- Stone Quarry
- Bloodfell Caves
- Scoured Barrens
- Wind-Scarred Crag
- Painted Bluffs
- Seraph Sanctuary
- Mana Geode
- Boros Cluestone
- Rakdos Locket
- Orzhov Locket
- Armillary Sphere
- Star Compass
- Trailblazer's Boots
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon
- Desecration Demon
Other budget upgrades to consider:
Steel Hellkite occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.08%