|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis (DDR)||Rare|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Demon
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card unless target opponent sacrifices a creature or pays 3 life.
Indulgent Tormentor Discussion
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
2 months ago
You seem to really like card draw, so i'm surprised you missed Indulgent Tormentor !
This deck is pretty budget, but if you want a great comander draw engine consider saving for Rhystic Study .
If you are aiming to do some damage with AoE B Enchantments, consider getting Painful Quandary .
If you want to go a bit more discard route, how about Quest for the Nihil Stone , Wheel of Torture , Shrieking Affliction . (you'd need cards like Guul Draz Specter , Stronghold Rats , Urgoros, the Empty One .)
I feel like card draw is less valuable then you might think. At some point i wonder what it is you want to draw with your card draw, and why having card draw would be better than having said card in your deck. I wouldn't expect any card draw in a deck with your commander. If you'd have to make this deck without any card draw, what would it look like? What problem then, are you solving by adding card draw?
GL with your deck and playing mtg!
2 months ago
Suggestions: If you're running payoffs for death triggers and sacrifice outlets, you might want to put in some things you want to sacrifice. Or ways to recur things. Either way, I think we're angling toward a black stompy deck with removal and commander synergy. We should be able to budget-ize this pretty nicely by focusing it as well.
Some cards to try: Maralen of the Mornsong , Wound Reflection , Lashwrithe , Dread Presence , Vilis, Broker of Blood , Scheming Symmetry , Ever After , Killing Wave , Decree of Pain , In Garruk's Wake , Pestilence Demon , Indulgent Tormentor , Painful Quandary , Silence the Believers
2 months ago
LadyZ thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated :).
Despark is defenitely cool, but I don't want to be too heavy on spot removal, as I already run Anguished Unmaking (being able to hit permanents lower than 3CMC) and Vindicate (being able to hit lands). The real question is how relevant it is to be able to exile permanents that cost lest than 3CMC, so I might switch Anguished Unmaking for Despark
Sower of Discord is a great card, but I don't like that it puts you in a position where you immediately make two enemies, as this deck cannot really deal with being the archenemy.
Utvara Hellkite is in the maybeboard, as I know it's one of the strongest Dragons in the game, it also costs 8 mana however...
I've played before with Indulgent Tormentor and have to say that I found it a bit underwhelming, giving players a choice will always result in the choice that's least beneficial for you (them losing 3 life) which is hardly worth it for a 5 mana 5/3
2 months ago
Some cards I like for this deck:
- Sower of Discord if you do multiplayer
2 months ago
You can, if you like, create custom sort categories by adding a # in your edit list (eg. "1x City of Brass #Land") and then setting >Edit >Default category >Custom
Here are some houses:
Herald of Secret Streams ... where'd this go?
Dack's Duplicate ... +1/+1 clone
Spark Double ... +1/+1 clone
Mulldrifter ... if is too much then play this
Treasonous Ogre ... seems good
Reef Worm ... endless worms
Spawning Pit ... you can sacrifice the Spawn tokens to recoup 1/2 the value if they're wiped
Yahenni, Undying Partisan ... it never leaves the board so expect 10+/10+
Toothy, Imaginary Friend ... yes
Midnight Reaper ... yes
Burnished Hart ... do not underestimate this
Goblin Bombardment ... yes
You could also try playing some big beefs that are wipe oriented like...
To play aggressively, Marchesa needs evasive creatures with double strike ...or maybe even...
Flesh-Eater Imp ... I have one, you should try it out
Grafted Exoskeleton ... sacrifice might be nice
Viral Drake ... proliferating your +1/+1 counters would be pretty sweet
...Keep in mind Infect replaces damage so either make it a core theme or only play the ones that can get to 10 Infect quickly.
Demons would also be pretty sweet:
Defiler of Souls ... make them sacrifice
Demon of Wailing Agonies ... make them sacrifice
Havoc Demon ... wipe
Kothophed, Soul Hoarder ... draw to get off the throne?
Krav, the Unredeemed ... seems good
Lord of the Void ... betrayal
Malfegor ... wipe?
Rakdos, the Showstopper ... wipe
Reaper from the Abyss ... removal
Rune-Scarred Demon ... tutor
Silent-Blade Oni ... betrayal
Liliana's Contract ... hilarous
3 months ago
Hey, good start, but with Liliana as Commander consider expanding on the sacrifice theme? Sacrifice strategies with aristocrats can be good and powerful, but you need to commit to them with many sac outlets to make the payoffs for sacing creatures worth it. Cards such as Liliana herself, Pawn of Ulamog , Sifter of Skulls , Grim Haruspex , etc. are payoffs for sacing creatures, but they're lackluster without sac support.
Cards that are within your deck's budget to consider adding for sacrifice strategy:
- Viscera Seer
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Carrion Feeder
- Ashnod's Altar or Altar of Dementia : Dementia is better than Ashnods for the strategies here because it's a repeatable enabler to get creatures into your graveyard, but it's also more expensive price.
- Blood Artist
Reanimation is a fine secondary strategy to use consider also expanding on it:
- Cryptbreaker : repeatable way to discard cards and get value in return.
- Stinkweed Imp : dredge is a fast and repeatable way to get creatures into your graveyard.
- Golgari Thug
- Putrid Imp
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : enabler to get cards into your graveyard and reanimation.
- Living Death : mass reanimation and mass sacrifice.
- Command the Dreadhorde : mass reanimation using life which you have a lot of in Commander.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Crypt Ghast : mono black staple.
- Necropotence : mono black staple, less good when you have to discard unless you have a tons of cards in hand.
- Mutilate : powerful board wipe when playing lots of Swamps.
- Bubbling Muck
- Sign in Blood
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel : great payoff for playing mono black.
- Bloodgift Demon
- Reliquary Tower
- Hero's Downfall
Cards to consider cutting (no order):
- Raise Dead
- Sword-Point Diplomacy
- Dark Dabbling
- Bone Harvest
- Dead Reckoning
- Death Denied
- Liliana's Spoils
- Swarm of Bloodflies
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir
- Barrier of Bones : can be upgraded.
- Cadaver Imp : can be upgraded.
- Spellbook : can be upgraded.
- Indulgent Tormentor : can be upgraded.
- Mindwrack Demon : can be upgraded.
- Puppeteer Clique : can be upgraded.
- Wailing Ghoul : can be upgraded.
- Ever After : can be upgraded.
- Ulamog's Crusher : eight drop.
- Visara the Dreadful : seven drop.
- Butcher of Malakir : seven drop.
- Necromantic Selection : seven drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Harvester of Souls : six drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Sifter of Skulls : redundancy that you don't need.
Indulgent Tormentor occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%