|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for a blue instant card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||NOGzFTW , NorthernCrow , SamCre1993 , hippienproud , ironax , MyTotoro , LTmiller , IRNMN , marsthesoos , duff87 , rikertchu , Esquire_ , Metaphisyk , releasethedogs , Hellsing , Azdranax , rebelteddybear , Bad_Dog , Mousemke , Jauntu , lorddarkstar , ACCG , awalloftext , , TheBl0b|
|Want (4)||Hootiequack , Grantley91 , PTsmitty , Galdelonian|
Merchant Scroll Discussion
1 week ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
1 week ago
why include the greaves and boots when suspended creatures get haste? also what's the win con for enter the infinite? i don't see a reason not to run time stretch either. no shame in running a few counterspells for personal protection, or tutors for protection or bigger spells you want to cast. Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study are excellent card draw cards for gas, and no edh deck is complete without some kind of card draw. Personal Tutor Mystical Tutor Merchant Scroll and Gamble are great includes maybe even Drift of Phantasms to find rhystic study or Dizzy Spell to find remora. and ill assume some of the eldrazi aren't in here cause you can't afford them. other than that awesome deck dude looks fun to pilot i might build one myself
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
Consider adding some of these: Dissipate, Capsize, Into the Roil/Expel from Orazca, Wizard's Retort, Swan Song, Rite of Replication, Unwind, Myriad Landscape, Reliquary Tower, Thought Vessel, Disallow, Spell Swindle, Merchant Scroll, Muddle the Mixture, Aphetto Alchemist, Siren Stormtamer, and Gilded Lotus.
Here are the changes I would start with however, swap Syncopate for Disallow. Then Spell Pierce for Swan Song, Disappearing Act for Wizard's Retort, Divination for Dig Through Time or Preordain, swap Silent Departure for Into the Roil, Capsize, or Expel from Orazca, swap Dispel for Muddle the Mixture, Aether Spellbomb for Fellwar Stone or Sky Diamond (More mana rocks will help for what i'm suggesting below if you want to consider that route), and Tamiyo's Journal for Gilded Lotus (As you just don't have enough ways to make clue tokens, and it's kind of slow anyways. Instead focus on making lots of mana, tapping and untapping your creatures to draw lots of cards).
There is also of course Mind Over Matter and I have one myself, it is a very powerful card that pairs well with things like Temple Bell, Psychosis Crawler, even Azami, Lady of Scrolls. But admittedly it is quite expensive of course, I just thought I would make you aware of this card nonetheless. You listed the deck as budget, but I wasn't sure to what degree this means, whether that's no card over $10-$15 or what.
Dramatic Reversal is another one I highly recommend, it could be sweet if you pair this with an Isochron Scepter, and that's why cards like Long-Term Plans, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate you could more often have these. Then you can either make a ton of mana, or perhaps even infinite if you have a bunch of mana rocks out and or Paradox Engine. You could win then by casting stuff like Blue Sun's Zenith, Stroke of Genius, among other things.
Depending on how much your willing to spend other ideas include: Rhystic Study, Mind Over Matter as previously mentioned, Patron Wizard, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Laboratory Maniac maybe could be good here, Maze of Ith, Riptide Laboratory, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Tolaria West, Path of Ancestry, and Sensei's Divining Top (Just ordered one of these myself in fact last night, it is such a useful card that can be used in a lot of decks imo).
I know I suggested more to include than what I suggested to in turn remove, I can help more with this if you haven't solved it all yourself already once i'm done with exams in 3 days. In the meanwhile I recommend you visit the website edhrec.com wihich might be a lot of help to you if your not already familiar with it!
1 month ago
Glad that you're gonna be adding storm cards cause they are crucial to make Kess the best she can be imo. Rhystic Study is always good. Merchant Scroll is a nice tutor that's pretty cheap. As well as Mystical Tutor and Personal Tutor however they aren't as cheap as Merchant Scroll. Swarm Intelligence is pretty good in decks like these aswell. Mind's Eye is a good draw engine if you find yourself needing more draw, Mizzix of the Izmagnus is a little expensive, but you can get her from the Commander 2015 set and you'd also be adding a lot of extra cards that work well with Kess to your collection. +1 :)
1 month ago
1 month ago
Sorry if I ask but where Merchant Scroll was printed as common? Nor in Homelands neither in 8ED, so I miss something? Because every deck I see with it says Pauper EDH Legal...