|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target artifact you don't control.
Overload (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change the text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")
|Have (6)||releasethedogs , Narueled , , agardels , AlbinoLion , jhTheMan99|
|Want (14)||zn.tportlock , widell , LastCall , EdwinSmithIV , xafeara , Jspeed , JannieB , flipdipple , redarrow4403 , Clones16 , QBrick , boneSANITY , Vialheart , Xelgion|
7 hours ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
1 day ago
Ravnica Allegiance was great for clan Rakdos! Time to make some changes..
Flexibility is king in Commander. Blow up anything that Rakdos can blow up!
2 cards for one mana? Yes please! Also, Torgaar is a bit of an awkward card. Typically, we've done a huge amount of damage by the time we cast this (presumably with discount from Rakdos's ability). So it turns out to be "win more" most of the time.
Damage to summon the king. Vial Smasher was also awkward because we typically don't want to cast spells before getting our mana discount. And by himself, he probably won't help us get any damage.
A wrath for only 2 mana that conveniently won't destroy our commander. And let's face it, the variance on this card is what makes it both memorable and so Rakdos! Also, remember that you don't have to play it just because it's in your hand. If you're winning, keep winning...
Damage to summon the king. 4 mana spent to get an 18 (EIGHTEEN) mana discount!
Damage to summon the king. The Spawn alone can get us a 7 mana discount!
4 days ago
4 days ago
1 week ago
triproberts12 Thanks! These are all cards that I've tried out which shows that we're own a similar page!
Exploration is excellent, but I don't own a copy and it is expensive.
Verdant Confluence I found a little expensive and that I didn't need the recursion it offers.
Pir's Whim I found good, but I haven't played it in a game yet so I'm finding it difficult to tell whether it's worth it and what to cut. I agree it's underplayed!
I didn't find the panorama's very good! The point you make about being able to have them on the field before getting Omnath, Locus of Rage to the battle field is a good one, so I might need to test them out again, but the no cost of Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds is incredible in combo with Ramunap Excavator and Crucible of Worlds , especially with Exploration type effects.
Field of Ruin actually ramps everyone else which I didn't get when I read the card, and I don't think I need anymore land destruction as Strip Mine has done the job for me, but I will consider it if I think I need more in future.
Explosive Vegetation I think actually has a home here, and is hence an exception to the article! He mentions that it shouldn't be in the other Omnath though! The two landfall triggers are much better than the one of a Rampant Growth .
Cheers! Appreciate the help!
P.S. Roil Elemental is blue unfortunately! Haha one of those days eh?!
1 week ago
Gotcha. In that case, definitely focus your attention on the Naya page. That, especially the land section, will give you the best investments for the future. When I built my first commander deck (it was a derpy Dragonstorm deck), I made the mistake of putting the money into the more expensive Dragon cards. In the long run, I've gotten the most use out of the filter and shock lands and general staples like Vandalblast . Good luck!
1 week ago
Adding things like Vandalblast over Meltdown , Running something like Mana Geyser would help for your big X spells. Rather than Fireball something like Jaya's Immolating Inferno might be better. In a two colour deck running Rocky Tar Pit serves no purpose.
1 week ago
Update 19.02.08: Played about seven or eight games now with this deck, and it has won around four times.
Cuts & Additions after play -
Vandalblast occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.0%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.18%
U/R (Izzet): 0.68%
RW (Boros): 0.56%
RG (Gruul): 0.31%
BRG (Jund): 0.19%
U/B/R (Grixis): 0.51%
RBW (Mardu): 0.32%
RUG (Temur): 0.14%
RUW (Jeskai, America): 0.15%
RGW (Naya): 0.08%