|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
Legendary Creature — Demon
Whenever an opponent searches his or her library, that player sacrifices a creature and loses 10 life.
Whenever another creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Ob Nixilis, Unshackled.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||Justinaut , pskinn01 , 8vomit , gildan_bladeborn , mziter501 , Big-Foot , Myllyes314 , vashaclarens , saj0219 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , bakeraj4 , CampbellStev , philktoken8998 , Dyobsemaj , rockleemyhero , CastleSiege , Ellyreia , jparker-sartori21 , Paradise_Collectibles , joshw335 , frederiklw , clayperce , warcry02 , MouseyWolf , Pylioz|
|Want (4)||VampSlayer , mlouden03 , bradyofportdetroit , Ariumlegion|
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Mardu doesn't have a lot of great drawing, you can try and force draw, but if that's the strategy then play Grixis instead . Some longer games, until we get recursion online may be running card to card sadly.
Because of the lack of draw, if Kaalia of the Vast isn't being hyper-controlled, I already find that OFTEN I attack, and have no A/D/D to play as-is, if there was a way (there is: Wheel of Fortune/Dragon Mage/Etc.) to consistently draw into multiple A/D/D, it might be viable, even with the creature count I am running, it's already too lean without doubling the Kaalia of the Vast triggers.
If you don't have an A/D/D Strionic Resonator is a dead draw, I'd probably rather draw another A/D/D in that case. It has two requirements that are too difficult, those being 1) It need a Kaalia of the Vast on the battlefield, not being controlled 2) It needs A/D/D in hand (Even if it's just 1 with a useful ETB) to be free cast by Kaalia of the Vast. If both these conditions aren't true Strionic Resonator just sits there. Maralen of the Mornsong is another example like this, was a lock down queen for me, but when I draw her without a Stranglehold it was a dead draw, and found it had to come out ultimately.
It's rare, like almost NEVER, that I cast any Angels/Dragons/Demons that have ETB triggered abilities to abuse from my hand. If you're at the point your hard casting A/D/D you've already lost. If you are casting them, you won't be having to spare for the Strionic Resonator anyway.
Strionic Resonator makes you over-commit. If it's running effectively then you're already leading, If it's a dead draw you're already behind. As a mid-range strategy it doesn't change your fate. If Kaalia of the Vast is being controlled it just stalls you further, if she is not controlled, then it over-commits you and walk into a Terminus or such.
I'm trying to cast Kaalia of the Vast turn 2, 3, or 4 with haste. I'll never have an extra on those turns to double her or a A/D/D triggered ability. If I'm waiting until turn 6-7 to attack with Kaalia of the Vast probably other Commander's are in combo mode, or control/blockers/Etc. or so extreme it's not going to work. I need to have her swing an attack and drop in a controlling A/D/D before other decks establish their plan.
Kaalia of the Vast IS the mid-range strategy. Tutoring Buried Alive + Reanimate is the primary Win-Con. Buried Alive: Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Karmic Guide + Restoration Angel, Reanimate > Karmic Guide > Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (Copy Karmic Guide) > Restoration Angel > Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and attack with Infinite Haste Restoration Angel copies. I don't need cards that's support/strengthen my mid-range strategy.
I would suggest there are only 6 prime targets (6/99=6%, or if you assume it's turn 5 39.5% to have one of the 6): Angel of Despair, Angel of Serenity (Situational? 6 Targets?), Karmic Guide (Situational, 2 Targets?), Lord of the Void, Rakdos the Defiler, Rune-Scarred Demon.
Secondary targets (4/99=4%) Balefire Dragon (6 didn't kill all the creatures?), Ob Nixilis, Unshackled (Turn 6 still tutoring and have 2 creatures or care about life?), Restoration Angel (2 targets?), Reveillark (4 power 2 or less creatures in graveyard?). Lastly poor targets Avacyn, the Purifier (6 damage to my stuff too!), Stoneforge Mystic (Only have 2 equipment), Thundermaw Hellkite (Is the 1 extra damage doing anything?)
Rune-Scarred Demon or an early Rakdos the Defiler are the only really really valuable targets, and a Angel of Despair. Rune-Scarred Demon is hopefully completing your primary win-con, and Rakdos the Defiler if I have the extra mana something's gone very wrong already (This is a multi-4 player build not a 1v1).
I don't have any real-recurring blink built in, If I built this around flicker, I would use it, like that Eldrazi Displacer/Kaalia of the Vast decks, but I'm not built as such. Strionic Resonator + Brago, King Eternal + Sol Ring is a primary win-con in my Brago, the Banisher deck, so it is powerful, no doubt.
That's just some of my thoughts I had through the testing. When a card sits dormant on the battlefield for me too often, or it puts me in an over-committed board position that gets controlled, that's when I know it's not quite right.
In a Dragon Mage, Wheel of Fortune, Reforge the Soul it would be a key card. The reason I don't play those is because I found that 1) I was holding control spells and having to discard them, 2) There are better decks at recurring graveyards that mine, and I was basically causing myself pain, 3) I was restocking everyone's hands so that they can draw a control card for Kaalia of the Vast and I was never keeping her on the battlefield only. If I'm running that I feel I'm playing a fun Kaalia of the Vast, I wan't a competitive Kaalia of the Vast.
Hope some of the insights explain sort-of what I'm thinking. But I have lot's of strange analysis I've done like why I don't run Aurelia, the Warleader, and why Reveillark is going to come out for something. And why Steel Hellkite is out. I also run weird cards like Steelshaper's Gift can't understand why other's dont want a second Lightning Greaves that costs , I do.
on Demonic orb
1 month ago
Ahh, ok that makes a little bit more sense. As for suggestions, you could up the Ghost Quarter to a 4 of and then put in Ob Nixilis, Unshackled for the nifty combo of making them lose 10 life and sac a creature. Also with Torpor Orb, Soulstinger becomes a great vanilla body, but its ETB is still good enough to play without Torpor Orb. Treacherous Pit-Dweller is fantastic with Torpor Orb a 4/3 then a 5/4 all for ? Hell yeah, I'll do that! Abhorrent Overlord may be a fantastic late-game play if you have enough devotion. Hope that helps!
1 month ago
Wow! Fascinating idea for a deck! Don't know your budget at all but here we go!
My suggestions: Neverending Torment is not a good win condition. I prevents only you from casting spells, meaning the other players will tutor up cards and beat you. I personally don't think you'll ever win a game this way.
Here's what I think you should do. Take it how you will.
Add: indicates commander staple, because I know you're new :)
This will protect the most important part of the deck, and the linchpin of your strategy.
Then, the #1 suggestion I have for you and the one I want to to try even if you ignore everything else: Ob Nixilis, Unshackled.
Do you see it?? That's 13 life each turn. That's a four turn clock. With enough protection no one will be able to stop you.
Want to double down? Add Strionic Resonator*. That copies Ob's ability, now you're hitting them for 23.
Triple down? Wound Reflection. Kill someone, and watch everyone else tremble in fear.
How do I get these combo pieces, you ask? Easy.
BOOOOOOOOOOM. Necropotence has a huge down side that's MITIGATED BY YOUR COMMANDER. Think about it. Draw all your cards at the cost of you're life, your opponents are stuck with 3-4 and you have 20. You win by sheer card advantage.
Ad Nauseam is another way to get around the inability to draw. Very very strong.
How else do we get stuff we need? Tutors.
Now what about all the cards in their hands and their tutors? Discard.
After that, we punish them further for having so few cards.
Shrieking Affliction this with ob is 16 damage per turn, that's a three turn clock!
Tree of Perdition will out right kill someone with Ob and Maralen out. Take out the strongest player and pick off the rest!
I know this is a lot to take in... honestly I hope you don't use it all because now I'm gonna make a deck with her...
1 month ago
This needsOb Nixilis, Unshackled quickly
1 month ago
This is cute. I like it and wish I'd thought of it, so here's a +1 from me.
Pack Hunt and Secret Salvage can help find your Demon Cult. With as high as your devotion can go, Gray Merchant of Asphodel can be an outright win con and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx will generate a ton of mana for the spells Razaketh, the Foulblooded finds for you.
Lifeline is also pretty cute with a deck that sacrifices en masse, but its better if you can exile from your opponents graveyard on command.
2 months ago
Like how this mechanic works, I did a similar build with Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. I would suggest thinking about Butcher of Malakir and Archfiend of Depravity since they fit the budget scheme and would benefit you most of all! +1!