|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters Promo (UMAP)||Mythic Rare|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Innistrad (ISD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Whenever Balefire Dragon deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to each creature that player controls.
Balefire Dragon Discussion
2 days ago
I like where your head is at! I wish Archetype of Finality wasnt that just seems too high
6 days ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
3 weeks ago
Defense of the Heart - run Shared Summons instead Godsire you could cut for Giant Adephage which gets super busted Mirari's Wake could be cut for Dictate of Karametra Platinum Emperion is just cringe Emrakul, the Promised End doesn't get a cast trigger if put on the field with your commander Balefire Dragon could be replaced by Steel Hellkite Nylea, God of the Hunt can be replaced by ramos
most of these are for budget balance
I want to see Overwhelming Stampede , End-Raze Forerunners and Soul's Majesty in here somewhere. They'd help out pretty well. You also need some more lands but only like 2 or 3. I suggest cutting some of the less impactful big bois.
1 month ago
Balefire hits for 6, Torbran boosts to 8, Furnace for 16.
16 Combat damage, Balefire triggers, Damage from a red source, Torbran boosts 16 to 18, Furnace doubles to 36.
1 month ago
Balefire Dragon should be on red
1 month ago
Hey, cool deck! Some suggestions off the top of my head (most likely will come down to personal preference):
Inferno reckless and lots of damage
Rain of Embers cheap and effective
Aggravate interesting and different
Balefire Dragon 7cmc but can do work. Very one-sided
Pyromancer's Goggles for some added copying!
I realize you already have Furnace of Rath and Dictate of the Twin Gods but Gratuitous Violence seems like it would help you more instead of Quest for Pure Flame . Pure flame is cheaper cmc but I don’t see it being as effective.
Hope some of those help! +1
1 month ago
Torbran is really neat. Have you considered these? Manabarbs , Embermaw Hellion , Spellshock , Electrickery , Scouring Sands , Volcanic Vision , Knollspine Dragon , Ancient Runes , Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip, Outpost Siege , AEther Sting , Repercussion , Balefire Dragon , Commune with Lava , Sunbird's Invocation
1 month ago
These might interest you: Gratuitous Violence , Berserkers' Onslaught , Quest for Pure Flame , Insult , Angrath's Marauders , Wojek Embermage , Knollspine Dragon , Spinerock Knoll , War Elemental , Elemental Mastery , Balefire Dragon , Siege Dragon , Glint-Horn Buccaneer , Firebrand Archer , Dagger Caster
Balefire Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%