|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Innistrad (ISD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Whenever Balefire Dragon deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to each creature that player controls.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (21)||davir , gildan_bladeborn , kpral , cklise , Duct-Tape-Guardian , mziter501 , mycheze , ExaByteOctopus , itheoryz , , rockleemyhero , Sav547 , ZombieFood , johnsongrantr , cburns , Nemesis , Dawnsly , Auriel , Unjust_DiabIo , , warcry02|
|Want (33)||Aldolain , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , gnarly , TheAlmostHero , Shotgunbunny , Sulla20XX , Doom_of_Valyria , GrandeKhan , akahele_ehu , Sovraznik , Daxos23 , VosslerX , Bhuddy , swarlelion , TrackerD , aramlet , MasterRoach117 , DSMAN95 , The_Besticle , Heebs297 , mlouden03 , gogaline24 , AgentCrazyDiamond , 2gherkins , thebfg , Dk1997 , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , linejumpr , kodie53 , JeremyTheMiner , ElCamino , sneferie , Lythia|
Balefire Dragon Discussion
4 days ago
Hey there, I really like Rapacious One in my Xenagos deck, curves out of Xenagos, and sets you up to cast the real big stuff/multiple threats ( Worldspine, Giant Adephage, Balefire Dragon) after the table realises your going to kill them all.
I found that as my playgroup got used to getting hit for 30+ damage they began to lean heavily on wraths to try and stem the flow, so I began to shift to annoying, value beaters and recursion. Genesis regrows a creature at the low cost of 3 mana every turn, Vorapede is a fine beatstick without Xenagos, Feldon of the Third Path is an excellent way to get value out of your graveyard, too. Deadwood Treefolk was also surprisingly good, though it’s maybe outclassed by Greenwarden of Murasa, it still mashes in for 6 w/‘Gos out and blocks well. Eternal Witness is another option.
And Atarka, World Render, the “you take 24” cannon that gets better if you throw even a few extra dragons in ( Scourge of the Throne, Balefire, Dragon Broodmother produces a steady stream of chumps so you can swing freely each turn.
1 week ago
- Urabrask the Hidden -> Faithless Looting
- Coldsteel Heart -> Night's Whisper
- Helm of the Host -> Chandra, Torch of Defiance
- Platinum Emperion -> Terminate
- Balefire Dragon -> Kaervek the Merciless
- Swamp -> Luxury Suite
The deck needs a bit more card selection/draw. So in go Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Night's Whisper and Faithless Looting. These will help if, for example, we get mana flooded. Kaervek the Merciless is on theme (The Downward Spiral). Terminate will help out whenever needed.
It was tough to determine was to take out. Balefire Dragon is sweet with haste, but doesn't fit into this deck since we cast creatures after combat damage. That's the reason that Urabrask the Hidden is coming out as well. The other cards are good but not what I've found this deck needs.
1 week ago
cdkime I would REALLY like to put Price of Glory but I can't decide what to cut. I was thinking possibly for Disciple of Bolas but I know it would go well with Utvara Hellkite. I have decided to cut Tariel, Reckoner of Souls for Iona, Shield of Emeria and then Mordant Dragon for Utvara Hellkite next is Thunder Dragon for Balefire Dragon next is Wrath of God for Akroma's Vengeance next is Sire Of Insanity for Dragon Mage. do those seem reasonable?
2 weeks ago
I have had a lot of luck with my God Save the Dragon Queen deck. Cards that have worked well for me that aren't on your list Heartstone, Skyship Stalker, Helm of the Host and Lightning Shrieker. If commander damage is how you wanna win Whispersilk Cloak, Nemesis Mask and Trailblazer's Boots are all great cards. Balefire Dragon and Scourge of the Throne are high end dragons that I wanna upgrade into.
2 weeks ago
I am going to respond to your questions here to help keep things together.
- Regarding Dragon Mage: Yes, I think you should run this card. You get to both cast a card and cheat out a card in the same turn, meaning you are going to quickly empty your hand--Dragon Mage ensures you have plenty of cards to utilize, as well as helps you draw into the other cards you need. Besides, if you have a good hand, you do not need to attack with it, giving you some flexibility.
Regarding Razia's Purification: The problem with this card is that it costs a lot of mana and gives your opponents choices as well. By the time you are likely to cast this, your opponents are also likely to have some powerful permanents in play. You get to keep your commander and best two other permanents, but so do each of your enemies.
Regarding Animate Dead and its ilk: I just do not think you have the space for these cards, and think they do not add as much as some of your other proposed cards would.
Regarding creature ranking: I do not think I can do this--they're all just too good. If you can only pick a couple, you should make the choice based on your particular meta. Here's a brief look at what makes each of these cards so great:
Balefire Dragon is an absolute nightmare against creature-based decks. With 6 power, Balefire Dragon can take a decent chunk out of most creatures, and will completely obliterate most token decks. Against creature-light decks, or decks with very, very powerful creatures (or creatures with indestructible), its utility is lessened, but you'll usually have at least one enemy this thing can ruin.
Iona, Shield of Emeria completely locks out mono-coloured decks, puts a huge damper on duel coloured decks. It even decks with three or more colours are greatly hindered, as, not only must they draw removal, they must draw their removal in the right colour. If there is an enemy commander in the command zone (either because it has been removed or never cast), you can choose that creature's colour and prevent it from being cast. With this single creature you will always greatly hamper one deck, and are likely to hobble multiples.
Linvala, Keeper of Silence is a bit more situational than the other two, but not horrifically so. Almost every deck will have creatures with activated abilities. What makes this card particularly special? Kaalia does not rely on activated abilities--she prefers enter the battlefield effects and abilities that trigger on combat damage. If your meta is light on activated abilities, and you have to cut one of these cards, this would probably be the one I would choose.
Also, not to lecture again on TappedOut formatting, but here is another tip!
If you want to draw a particular person's attention to your post (such is if you are responding to them on a thread), you do not need to post on their wall--you can just link them in the post. This will send the other player a notification that you mentioned their name. Here's the code for linking a user:
2 weeks ago
Here are a couple cards to consider cutting:
Sire Of Insanity hinders your opponents, but also proves quite counterproductive. One of Kaalia's strengths is being able to cheat in the creature you need that turn, which requires options. Being forced to discard your hand limits these options.
Kokusho, the Evening Star is not that exciting. Its ability requires some work or your opponents being generous to use, and its otherwise a 5/5 flyer for six. That's not ideal. While you'll generally want to be cheating out your creatures, sometimes Kaalia will not be in play or has been hit by a Song of the Dryads and is out of commission. In those instances, Kokusho is a fairly disappointing card if you are forced to hard cast it.
I would not run Razia's Purification, even with the graveyard antics you have.
On that note, I might consider cutting the graveyard recursion spells and enchantments. Kaalia does not really need them.
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls is a fun little card, but is not great and can probably be cut.
Otherwise, you have a bunch of very powerful creatures, but think it might be best to focus on the best of the best. What you decide to cut should depend on the decks you tend to play against. Looking at your creatures you plan to add, I would say Balefire Dragon, Iona, Shield of Emeria, and Linvala, Keeper of Silence are the best three.
Hope some of this helps!
Figured I'd also let you know how to link decks without simply pasting a URL. You can use the following steps:
First, you have to copy the red part of the URL for the deck.
If you just want a simple link to the deck, like so: Kaalia of the Vast
If you want a more detailed list, like so:
Commander / EDH
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!