Not legal in any format
Combos Browse all
Destroy all creatures. Each player loses life equal to the number of creatures he or she controlled that were destroyed this way.
Price & Acquistion
Deadly Tempest Discussion
1 week ago
I also really like Deadly Tempest. I have it in my Yahenni deck. A sweeper that comes with some extra punishment.
2 weeks ago
Austere Command is relatively cheap (less the $5) and provides you with great flexibility as to what you want to destroy. Forced March could be very interesting is this deck, but is heavy on the black mana. A Day of Judgment will set you back just 2 or 3 bucks. End Hostilities is cheaper still and takes out equipment for one CMC more. Fumigate is the same CMC for $2. Another 5 CMC card is Planar Outburst and it is cheap!Nevinyrral's Disk is cheap, but takes a turn to activate. Then there's good old Akroma's Vengeance and Deadly Tempest can be had for $2 or less, but Extinguish All Hope is less and you also have Planar Cleansing, although it's heavy on the white mana.
Hope this helps!
2 months ago
Deadly Tempest seems a weird card choice for a saproling deck, virtually any other board wipe would be a better deal.
You can also go infinite with Illusionist's Bracers and the Ashnod's Altar.
If you have a spare Doubling Season there is no reason not to include it over Primal Vigor. You can run them both.
More card engines, I always try to include at least eight of them. The usual suspects for me are Deathreap Ritual, Shamanic Revelation, Skullmulcher, Disciple of Bolas, Phyrexian Arena, Seasons Past, Vampiric Rites...
I'd add some board pumps as win conditions in order not to depend just on Ashnod's Altar, it can be removed or countered. Overwhelming Stampede, Beastmaster Ascension, Triumph of the Hordes, Bloodspore Thrinax or Craterhoof Behemoth, all of them are solid cards.
To make space I'd drop the thallid theme (keeping Psychotrope Thallid as card engine), it doesn't feel strong enough, but if you still really want to go with the thallids I'd add Winding Constrictor.
I would also cut Champion of Stray Souls and Verdeloth the Ancient.
JuQ on Infect Deck
2 months ago
I'm missing some good pump to your creatures: Beastmaster Ascension is a total beast for only 3 mana, Curse of Predation, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Forgotten Ancient, Bloodspore Thrinax would work great because you can proliferate your +1/+1 counters. Overrun and Thunderfoot Baloth may also be good.
You can always surprise your oponent with Might of Oaks or cast Revenge of the Hunted on Glissa and you'll wipe somenes creatures while your infect creatures go unblocked, Enlarge can also work fine.
Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are always amazing to protect Glissa and give your guys haste.
Equipment like Loxodon Warhammer, Sword of Vengeance and Whispersilk Cloak can also be helpful. Also, the more I use Key to the City, the more I like it.
Viridian Longbow to kill creatures with glissa's deathtouch or ping poison counters to your oponents with any of your infect guys.I know Glissa will be feeding you cards, but I'd run some card engines just in case Deathreap Ritual, Shamanic Revelation, Journey to Eternity Flip. actually yhere are a lot.
Semblance Anvil can be quite cool here if you imprint one of your artifact creatures.
Artisan of Kozilek for being to high cost and not really worth it that much in this deck.
Worldspine Wurm because it's basically unplayable unless you can consistently cheat it onto the battlefield.
Marsh Casualties and Curse of Death's Hold not effective enough in a multiplayer game where people use bigger creatures. You can ruin the game for some token player, but you have more important things to do with those card slots.
Grave Betrayal Powerful, but it doesn't really move your game forward. You'll have is stuck in you hand more often than not.
Serpent Generator 10 mana for the first 1/1 snake with no-infect. Ho'w do you plan to make those snakes go unblocked.I'd swap Mutilate some boardwipe that actually destroys the creatures, you may not have many swamps and most of your creatures are small so you would be killing your guys while sparing your opponents'. Best option is Damnation, the budget alternatives are Crux of Fate, Deadly Tempest and Extinguish All Hope to name a few.
If you cut the highest cost from the deck you could probably do with about 37 lands, maybe even fewer. You may want to add some dual lands
3 months ago
Bloodchief Ascension , once turned on, really drains the board.
With your decently low CMC, Dark Tutelage is great for card draw, and if you're focusing on life gain, the loss doesn't hurt as much.
Deadly Tempest might be a good wrath to add, especially against token decks.
3 months ago
Avg CMC 3.32 - You need more lands
I would cut two creatures for two more lands. Ideally even creature based decks don't want more than 30 creatures.
Why is Conspiracy in the deck if it only affects 2 creatures?
You have a lot of really good Instant speed removal, so why the Flame Slash?
I would only run Act of Treason if I had a good amount of sac outlets, which I don't see.
Lastly, its a black EDH deck WITH NO BOARD WIPES. NANI!?!?
Obviously Damnation is the best, but theirs so many options
Your best bet is Kindred Dominance but there's also
And a shit ton I cant remember. There's NEVER too many board wipes in a deck.
4 months ago
Bloodytrailz, thanks for the shout out for my deck. Happy it inspired you. I like the changes you made and understand the meta and budget considerations. Just to respond to a few of your changes:
1) Michiko Konda is a subtle rattlesnake. the point of her is to make targeting you seem slightly less appealing. Sure, in some cases they could sac a token or basic land. A lot of the time opponents would rather not even do that if they can just target someone else. She performs quite well though I wouldn't call her a star of the deck.
2) Wild Ricochet is totally a playgroup call. it is on my list of removable cards. I like it against "spellslinger" decks or decks that try to pick apart my pillow fort with targeted removal. it works decent in the deck but totally understand not including it if you find you don't need that protection.
3) Austere Command's flexibility is why I include it. you're right that there aren't obvious modes that are always going to be the best to pick with this deck. I find myself choosing different options each time. I am never unhappy to see it though. as a replacement, I would either suggest Deadly Tempest as a way to hose creature decks with extra life loss, Toxic Deluge just because 3 mana is dirt cheap for a boardwipe and it gets around indestructible, Blasphemous Act because it is most often cast for 1 to 3 mana, or Fumigate to help buffer your life total for a longer game.
4) I love your inclusion of crystal ball. I am going to try to throw it in my deck somewhere.
4 months ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.