Front:Thing in the Ice Flip
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Kraken
When this creature transforms into Awoken Horror, return all non-Horror creatures to their owner' hands.
Awoken Horror Discussion
1 week ago
The important thing to remember is that triggered abilities begin with "when," "whenever," or "at," and Torpor Orb prevents abilities that trigger from creatures entering the battlefield from triggering.
Thing in the Ice Flip's ETB ability is, as mentioned, a replacement effect. It does not contain one of the three triggered ability words, but rather is an ability that modifies how it enters the battlefield. This is unaffected by Torpor Orb .
Thing in the Ice Flip's second ability is not triggered by creatures entering the battlefield, so it is also unaffected. Awoken Horror 's ability triggers from it transforming, which is not entering the battlefield (it's already there), so this is also unaffected.
1 week ago
1 month ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
1 month ago
Magic Duels games are much closer to draft gameplay than to most constructed formats.
Constructed formats have access to ways to deploy threats early - for example Awoken Horror and/or multiple Arclight Phoenix by turn 3/4/5.
These formats also have answers to deal with such threats, like Path to Exile .
Playing large creatures like Aggressive Mammoth that do very little, is a bad choice if you can play cards like Inferno Titan . Such decks also play cheap distruption and a miriad of cards that allow them to reach high mana productions early on.
2 months ago
I'm not sure if copying Thing in the Ice Flip is useful. Lazav, the Multifarious is able to copy just one side of Thing in the Ice Flip so he can't transform into Awoken Horror . Copying Phyrexian Dreadnought or Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon looks much more fun.
5 months ago
Definitely gonna see about getting it in the mainboard and see how that plays out.
5 months ago
First off, welcome to Magic!
I would cut Fabricate. There's a reason tutors are not common in Modern--Modern is very fast-paced, and you cannot afford to be a turn behind trying to find a card. Instead, consider adding more cantrips (1-mana card draw spells). Four copies of Opt helps dig through your deck and find the cards you want.
Rather than three copies of Syncopate, consider running two copies of Logic Knot. While Logic Knot costs more and does not exile, you likely will have your graveyard full of cantrips, counterspells, fogs, etc. Unlike Syncopate, which requires you to have a significant amount of open mana, Logic Knot just requires you to exile cards you were not going to use anyway.
Delver of Secrets Flip is a solid win condition in a spell-heavy deck. You can drop it turn 1, then happily deal 3 evasive damage per turn while countering away. While Delver does get bounced by Thing in the Ice Flip, the two actually work well in tandem--Delver provides solid early game pressure, getting your opponent close enough that Awoken Horror can swing for the kill the turn it is transformed.
6 months ago
Awoken Horror would revert back to Thing in the Ice Flip in the graveyard so you would just get a Thing in the Ice Flip. Just think about Startled Awake Flip in the graveyard it is still Startled Awake Flip so you can use its ability. Hope this helps:)
No data for this card yet.